border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-03, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bencdb3, I take it you have never been to a venomous show. You will be cobras, gaboons, mambas, and everything else with taped on lids. That is the way its bro. its perfectly reasonable.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-09-03, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Coy, you keep adding on information that you didn’t mention before. The more you talk, the less comfortable I am with this situation. If the public could actually reach down and pick up a 10 gallon all glass aquarium with a venomous snake inside, then I have changed my opinion on this matter.
www.SCReptiles.com 2.2 Crotalus adamanteus. 2.2 Crotalus h. atricaudatus. 2.2 Crotalus h. horridus. 1.1 Agkistrodon p. piscivorus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. contortrix. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. mokasen. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. laticinctus. 1.1 Agkistrodon c. pictigaster. Agkistrodon c. phaeogaster. 1.2 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri. 1.1 Micrurus fulvius. 0.0.1 Micrurus fulvius tenere
Old 07-09-03, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Your more then welcome SC I don't get why your trying to make this a posative situation? There is a huge difference between a Hot Show with experianced herpers and a pet store run by some kid! Even if he were a respinsible person he could not possibly watch that tank all the time. And all it takes is a second when is back is turned or he is with another customer for something to happen. I know I've worked in pet stores for almost 10 years now, there is no counting the number of times when I've caught ppl trying to steal animals that wern't in secure cages or when my back was turned. My point is that the situation is inherently dangerous, and they are just asking for trouble. All you need is one misshap and then your get those crazy anti-herp laws passed.
Old 07-09-03, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

if it was in a display case on a shelf it wouldnt bother me if parents stay ed in the store it wouldnt bother. im sorry i shoulda explained better wy it bothered me if it was even on the top shelf it wouldnt bother me. its none of my business what they do there its there store. The owner is rather well informed on keeping snakes. The odds that any one will unhook the bungie cords and open it are low. And the snake seems relaxed
Old 07-09-03, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fatboy
It's not people like the 12yr old and his parents that gets anti-venomous laws passed, it's people that sit here and blast anyone with an opinion. This situation is pretty easily handled....if you don't feel comfortable in that store go somewhere else. You can even order prekilled mice/rats by mail. Your instance with someone trying to steal it...let them get bit....they are breaking the law. Most people know that if a snake has a rattle on it's tail that it is dangerous.
Old 07-09-03, 01:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

little kids in with there parents dont always no, but your right its no biggy for me. Ill start going to the store in the next town. Im new to snakes so reading everyones opinion helps. if this is how things are done then fine if not then ohwell i know not to go in there
Old 07-09-03, 02:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JoeBradley Send a message via Yahoo to JoeBradley
I worked security at the venomous show in Bristol two weekends ago. To say that only experienced hot keepers come to these shows is way off the mark. I had vendors putting cobras in pillow cases and wanting me to carry them through a show with two hundred men, women and children walking around. (I refused) I carried out a gaboon viper, two cobras and a copperhead in deli cups for a seventeen year old kid that told his mother he was coming to get a ball python. One guy even asked me how to get his new bought cobra out of the pillow case when he got it home. Is this responsible hot keeping?????? These snakes did not come from small local pet stores. They came from highly respected hot keepers and sellers. The best in the nation. I only ran across one venomous vendor that even asked the customer questions about experience and age before he would sell them a venomous snake. These small family owned pet stores have only learned from the what we consider “the best in the business”. Why not use the same methods, if they work for the best??? You want to start policing venomous keepers and venders start at the top not the bottom. Things flow downhill. Quit buying from the “knucklehead professionals” that only care about the money. Teach these smaller business the way it should be done. I was greatly disappointed in the vendors at Bristol and how irresponsible some were. Before you blast this pet store think about how many snakes you have carried home in deli cups. What is good for one of us is good for the other.
Old 07-09-03, 02:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Coy, I wouldn’t stop using them. I see nothing there unsafe to you. You said the guy knows his snakes, that is unusual in this business. I would stay with him.
Old 07-09-03, 02:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

i dont know my three year old likes to go with me and look at the snakes. he never does so with out me right there with him. he also tried to sell me rotten mice when i asked for new ones he said he must have left them in the fridge(the kid that is) off subject but still annoying. ive been thinking of ordering them anyway
Old 07-09-03, 02:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Not a bad idea in my opinion then. Order from a respectable dealer and you know you'll get quality products. May want to still use them for advise though if they know reptiles even though there is plenty of good advise in here.
Old 07-09-03, 02:36 PM   #26 (permalink)

SB, can’t really put a positive spin on them leaving a timber in a 10 gallon for the general public to pick up and drop. But I am just sick and tired of venomous keepers continually bitching about everyone else who has a venomous snake. There needs to be a sense of community and there isn’t. Experienced keepers need to answer questions directly and honestly and they don’t. That bothers me. Not only on this board, but all of them and in person as well. Take note of when a young herpers asks a question. For example, “I am about to purchase my first hot. What do you feel is the safest cage.” Instead of an answer, all you will see is “if you have to ask a question like that you don’t need one.” “Stick to corn snakes you are not ready.” That is total crap! And I am sick to death of all the negativity. That same guy Joe wrote about asked me how to get the cobra out of the pillow case and into a cage. Now, of course I would rather he have not gotten the cobra, but he had already bought it and was heading home. I gave him the best instructions I could, but I know he is in trouble. Many would have just told him he was stupid and left him alone. I even gave him my home phone number and told him to call if he ran into problems. We need more of that in venomous herpiculture. (Not the cobra in the pillow case, we need less of that, but more of the willingness to help rather then dispersions.)
Old 07-09-03, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

And Joe, I don't really see a reason to change things at the show besides what they are given to you in. Any dealer could spend 88 cents on a small plastic shoe box sized rubbermaid item from Walmart to send the venomous home in. A few holes and some duct tape would be fine in my opinion. I'd hate to see the day when you have to apply to have a snake like you are applying for a hand gun. "Mandatory waiting period for the Monacle Cobra is 14 days Mr. Campbell.....also will need a copy of your birth cert., social security card, and a criminal background search"....hahahaha.
Old 07-09-03, 02:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

I agree with you on that 100% SC that even some of the top names in the busniess don't care as long as they get thier money. Which I'm my oppinion is sad.
Old 07-10-03, 01:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

i would think that the person selling the snake could at least ask a few questions of the buyer. And give some advice before letting a seventeen year old kid after ball pythons go on a cobra. For the record i dont keep hot snakes. some are rely nice lookin but i wouldnt feel right with my kids in the house
Old 07-10-03, 08:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

I wouldn't keep them in the "house" at all. My hots will stay out in the back yard in their own locked building in their own locked boxes. I would never put my daughter in danger. A few questions is fine yes but not background. You've got to remember this is how they make a living. If they don't make that sell they may not be able to pay their bills/support their family.
Closed Thread