border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-03, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Snake with a kinked spine

Is there any cure for an either broken or kinked spine?
Please tell us what this means. We have had this (total length approx 20") rough green snake for 1 year (captured in the wild). He's been very healthy and has successfully shed 3-4 times. After the most recent shed, he has an obvious deformity approx 4" from his nose. Doesn't want to eat, or move much. We force-fed him yesterday, and while handling him, felt a little "snap". I just HATE it when that happens.
I assume that since he's able to motor around his home that he's not paralyzed? I've searched "kinked" and "broken spine" and found that one does not want to buy a snake with a kinked spine, but no further information about the causes/complications of such.
If we should put him down, what's the preferred humane method?
Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-05-03, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm familiar with kinks in the spines of you corns. In them it can be caused by too much line breeding or spikes in the last week of incubation temps. In a year old rough green snake it is probably a broken spine. You could take it to a good vet to find out for sure. In the mean time I would leave it alone in its cage undisturbed for at least 5 days for rest and recouperation. Then try to feed it. If you do have to put it down the freezer works well.
Good luck,
Trevor
Closed Thread