Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-03, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
BAZ

Send a message via Yahoo to BAZ
Sad news :(

2 nights ago I left "NumNum" my parrot outside in his cage. I leave his cage on the deck in the summer so he can enjoy the fresh air. I had just bought him a new toy for his cage that night too. I guess a cat somehow managed to grab him during the night through the bars... I didn't think they were wide enough for an animal to reach in. My mum woke me up at 6 in the morning saying that my bird looked like it had been attacked. I rushed out to see him and there was feathers all over the place and NumNum was lying on the bottom of the cage still alive. I opened the cage and put my hand near him and he kinda stumbled and hobbled over and sat on my hand. One leg had been ripped out of his body and a chunk of him was missing where his leg was attached to his body. My heart just sank. I stroked him on his head and he made a whimpering kinda sound. NumNum was very attached to me and would only come to me. I didn't want him to suffer any longer. I had to hold him under the water in a bucket for half a minute until he was gone. His eyes were open when I took him out of the water so I shut them with my fingers. I wanted to cry but it just wouldn't come out... I still want to but it just doesn't happen. I just hate to think what was going on in his little mind when he realised that the person that he had bonded to was the one that ended his life. I can honestly say this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I wish that ******* cat had finished him off instead of me having to.

I miss my little Birdy NumNum. Rest in peace little buddy

Login to remove ads
Old 07-02-03, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
I'm sorry to hear you lost your little buddy.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 07-02-03, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear about your bird, that is so sad
Old 07-02-03, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
Baz, that story breaks my heart. I'm so sorry to hear of it. On a lighter note, I must say that it is cool to see that someone else out there knows their classic Peter Sellers films.

Hope you recover soon.
Old 07-02-03, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to crazyboy
sorry about your loss, so upsetting
Old 07-02-03, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

What a sad story Baz. Sorry for your loss, and more sorry for the way it had to end. It is difficult letting creatures go, but this was a true test of spirit.

Sheila and Ryan
Old 07-02-03, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
Guess I'm crying for you , Baz. You & your little birdie got to me. Hang tough, pal.
Old 07-02-03, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

So sorry to hear about your little guy Try to remember that accidents <b>do</b> happen, and try not to blame yourself! I know its hard not to though... everytime an animal dies I can't help but blame myself, even though it isn't my fault

Quote:
Originally posted by Invictus
I must say that it is cool to see that someone else out there knows their classic Peter Sellers films.
The Party is one of the greatest films out there!
Old 07-02-03, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
BAZ

Send a message via Yahoo to BAZ
Yeah.. I know what u mean Linds. If only I had kept him inside... thats what I keep on thinking. I should have known better.
Old 07-02-03, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of your loss Baz!!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-02-03, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can't really blame yourself. Stuff happens.. Tragic but it happens. Obviously you wouldn't have put it outside if you knew something like this was going to happen, and like you said, you've done it before. Nothing you could have done. Nice looking bird, you did a very nice job with him obviously. Sorry to hear what happend though. hang in there,
Old 07-02-03, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by BAZ
Yeah.. I know what u mean Linds. If only I had kept him inside... thats what I keep on thinking. I should have known better.
Then he wouldn't have ever enjoyed fresh air and different sights.
You can't know when it's their time to go.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 07-02-03, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

OMG I'm balling here.. that's so sad.. I know how you feel, I've been in the same spot with one of my birds and my cat.

{{HUGS}}
RIP NumNum
Old 07-02-03, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RachelS. Send a message via Yahoo to RachelS.
I am so so sorry to hear that BAZ. My condolences... I hope you have peace and comfort during this time. That must have been really hard to do, and I'm sorry you had to go through that
Old 07-02-03, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to damzookeeper
Oh Baz, my heart goes out to you. I have a little special needs cockatiel and I can't imagine being with out him.
You may feel bad for having to put your little one down but I'm sure he was thinking you were wonderful for being there in his last moments and taking away his pain. There was really nothing more you could do. Take care, the best you can do in this situation to make good out of it, is to get the message out there and warn others about the potential dangers of leaving an animal out side without suporvision. I know that doesn't make you feel any better about the hole situation but if it saves one other bird or mammal, that's what counts. There is always a reason for everything. As for you not crying, be careful man, you may still be in shock. I was like that when I lost my uncle and when it came it was real bad. Take care of yourself and get those feeling out.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread