border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-03, 07:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well people we got us a thread. First off Damien is right as far as me being Mr. Anti-establishment & Anarchy Now would suit me fine if I thought it would work. We must have some things regulated as Bryce has stated such as hots & large Boids. Face it some people are idiots & are ruining it for those of us who are not. I do not agree with any licensing of reptiles other than the hots & the 10 ft + Boids etc. It would be a good way to weed out some of the "unworthies" & maybe save someones life. Any other registraton (other than by "us" on our own behalf) would simply be a tool to be possibly used againest us & also just another source of revenue for govt. agencies (maybe they just want their cut). If I am forced to comply to some sort of registration/inspection or whatever as a breeder I will do what is required by law to continue what I do. This does not mean I will support it or like it, but if its comply or lose my animals, comply I will. The whole approach that has been taken recently by the B.C. cities etc. is a very scary wake up call for us all & just goes to show how naive the powers that be really are & how easy it is for them to start bending us over. Mark
P.S. Now for my politically incorrect stance on the subject. "THEY HAD BETTER HOPE THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN MY GUNS BEFORE THEY COME FOR MY SNAKES!" LOL M.I.>(
Old 06-25-03, 07:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Now, as far as other opinions I am willing to share with the snake community.

I think there should be regulations that keep idiots from owning some reptiles. This is hard to do - but in a perfect world, you could get licensed to show compentancy to keep giant pythons, big monitors, crocodillians and venomous snakes.

Unfortunately, this licensing system will never happen.

Having said that, Sarge, our dog, is potentially more dangerous than most of our reptiles. But, again, in a perfect world idiots would not be able to keep big dogs, pit bulls etc.

The time is now, to band together and fight these laws. Educate the public.

I'd love to see wild aninmals in the wild, but for many animals, there is no more wild places to live. (hey, I could include that in my letter - it sounds good - a good example would be the Dumerils boa, or Indigo snakes)

I wish the activists would put more energy into stopping rattlesnake roundups, rain forest destruction etc - and less energy into more trivial things like keeping cornsnakes.

There is a devil woman in B.C. - I think she should be exposed for what she really is, she has done a lot of damage to us, the enemy.

I have tried really hard to see these bylaws from the point of view of their makers and supporters, but I am having a tough time getting my head that far up my butt.

Ryan
Old 06-25-03, 07:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Mark, you and I are hippies that were born too late.

And we have guns!

"The man" has taken, it is time "the man" give a little.

Ryan
Old 06-25-03, 07:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to drewlowe Send a message via Yahoo to drewlowe
ryan, your letter was very well spoken and you should send it to them.
1.2 Bearded dragons (Login, Raven, & Jean Grey) 1.1.1 Corn snakes(Havoc,Sable, & Kink0 1.5 Leo's (Psyloke (Lucky-male) Speedball, Domino, Rouge, Siren, Elektra) 1.0 Veiled Chams (Neo), 0.1 Rose Hair T. (Night Crawler) 0.0.3 Crested Geckos (Shiva, Storm, Beast) 0.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Tigra & Cloak)
Old 06-25-03, 08:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nett Send a message via Yahoo to Nett
Very good letter Ryan Can I sign my name to it as well..hehehehe
www.wrappedupinreptiles.com
Login to remove ads
Old 06-25-03, 09:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Yea Ryan! Please do send that letter in and help us BC folk out! Thanks a bunch guys for all your support!!

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Old 06-25-03, 09:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

O.K, I polished the letter (not really for content, but for grammer) and sent it to the paper and the orginal sender.

Anyone know the Mayor and council's email address? I'd like to send them the letter as well.
Old 06-25-03, 09:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The city of Surrey has a website, but I don't have the address anymore. From the website you can email them. I think I got it from a post Walter had on the TARAS site. Mark
Old 06-25-03, 10:07 PM   #39 (permalink)

I think this is the address. EXCELLENT letter Ryan!

http://www.city.surrey.bc.ca/_Utility/contact.asp
Old 06-25-03, 10:49 PM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
We have 20 snakes. maintaining them doesn't take that long compared with 5 snakes. takes me about 1 hour to feed them (including thawing of the rodent) cleaning takes 2 - 15 minutes a day depending on what needs to be done. sociallizing them on the other hand takes longer, though often we will just hang a snake over our shoulder or around a wrist and go about doing other things.

As for registering your herps, I only would take this as an option to out right bans. I don't want to voluntarily bring in laws that bring me 1 step closer to bans or more restrictions on what we can and cant keep. proposing to register and restrict herps when there is currently no legislation on the table about them at all is bad, as some places may decide they don't want to deal with the registration and just go for an all out ban.

Putting legislation on the table is like saying that we have a problem with too many herps, which is not the idea we want to convey.

Lets keep herping free with out shooting ourselves in the foot, we have enough problems with other groups making us dance.

May you live in interesting times.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-25-03, 10:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Excellent letter Ryan! I am glad you sent it. You made some very good points. Lisa you made some excellent points as well! Good to see so many people getting invovled. Thank you.
Old 06-26-03, 01:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Bryce Masuk Send a message via Yahoo to Bryce Masuk
Lisa I would like to see those laws put in place not only if they want it as a compromise but for the general good when people start dieing and reptiles are to blame the govenment is put under presure from the public and media to fix the problem. There idea of fixing it is banning everything right away. I would also like to see people that buy reptiles from pet stores not get there hands on reptiles that become throw away pets because they grow 20 times the size of what they were. I would gladly give up my right to freely own hots and large boids without registration because its worth it in many ways it saves people and it saves reptiles.
"Far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement, but few can argue with it."
Old 06-26-03, 07:06 AM   #43 (permalink)

I am curious to see the data on people dying from reptiles? What facts are you using for your point of view? Can you please tell me in the province of British Columbia how many people have died from reptiles? Not one. Wow I am shaking my head at such a narrow point of view. I am wondering why you want big brother into your business at every turn? I dont think that bans and laws will change how people act.
Old 06-26-03, 07:13 AM   #44 (permalink)

Julie,
You have been published! The headline reads:
Snakes less likely to attack than dogs

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...3-B3A1FAA1C7F2

Excellent!
Lets keep those letters coming
Old 06-26-03, 07:20 AM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
I dont feel that large boids are a huge risk. They may be more likely to show up for rescue then a corn snake but todate i've only been contacted about taking 2 snakes that people didn't want. a corn and a king. as for venomous, they are a little more difficult to get, most people tend to think that venomous are illegal all over canada (they're not, just in many places in canada) so they don't get sold as much.

May you live in interesting times.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread