border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-03, 03:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
"When you do bring this up to supervisors and upper management there is also a problem. First Usually the upper management are the ones doing it too. Secondly I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but in the US everyone is so lawsuit crazy ,if you mention anything about the smoke breaks it is considered discrimination against them because they have an addictive habbit! Lets see does that mean if I have a coke habbit I can be excused to go do lines all day? "

Nope, because cocaine is illegal. And if upper managment smokes as well, then there is nothing you can do about it. I just don't understand why people blame the smoker for using the rights they are GIVEN. You have a right to HATE smoke, smokers and smoke breaks. But if the smoker is given the right to a smoke, a smoke break and the right to smoke by the government then how is it a smokers fault?

hahaha I like the saying "hate the game not the player" and I feel it certainly applies to smokers. They are given the option to smoke break, so they do. Duh. As for lawsuits, and the boss taking smoke breaks...that is more a personal issue for you. You can't force managment to change something that is totally in their right to do. And while I can see why it would piss you off, there is nothing you can do about it but change jobs. Unless they make cigarettes illegal or you can somehow prove to someone higher up that they need to be fired because of low production.

My whole point is that everyone has the freedom to hate smoke, but please don't blame smokers for accepting and using the freedoms their boss and government gives them. If it was illegal then blaming those who CHOOSE to break the law would be totally acceptable, but blaming the respectful smokers out there for doing something that they are allowed to do won't really serve any purpose, and the ones to blame are the people who allow smokes to be sold legally still.

I get all your points though, and I understand the way you non-smokers feel. all the above is IMHO and not meant to offend anyone.

Marisa
Old 06-10-03, 03:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

We used to smoke and quite heavily. Once I got pregant for the first time I stopped, as did my husband. I don't have a problem with smokers at all, I occasionally reminisce about it in fact, BUT I do however have a very large problem with people who don't consider the damage it could cause for children and pregant women. I can't begin to tell you how many times I am around people in enclosed areas or whatever and they light up and blow it in my direction and wave that thing around my kids, THIS ticks me off!! For those who are considerate I appreciate it beyond words!

You as a smoker have every right to smoke, but it is a proven health risk for several reasons for pregnant women and children too, they have a right to not inhale your smoke, so be considerate of that too.
Old 06-10-03, 03:42 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127
this whole debate is ridiculous. there are people who snatch kids from their own front yards, kill people, rape people, and abuse and kill animals (which is still a misdomeanor here, dammit!), and we are wasting our time crucifying people for smoking! even tho these smokers (most anyway) are probably law abiding, caring, and compassionate people.
Old 06-10-03, 03:48 PM   #34 (permalink)

Lisa your right. I just made my comments in defnse of a smokers comments about nons. I dont hate smokers. most of my friends are smokers.

But I could never date a smoker, yet alone marry one. I don't like the smell or the taste when you kiss. Icky.lol
Old 06-10-03, 03:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

But if people did that in public around a bunch of people then we would make a big deal about it. We are not disscussing the legality of smoking but the way that smokers do or do not care about non smokers. No one is saying you all should be locked up. As clearly everyone in your example should. Killing animals is only a misdomeaner...dam that is terrible. Especally since that is how most serial killers start off. Where do you live?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-10-03, 03:59 PM   #36 (permalink)

i live in ohio. yes, it's a misdomeanor. altho, i think they just passed a law that it is a felony after the third animal cruelty offense. big deal. is that supposed to help? it should be a felony the first time! but that's my opinion. and something I feel very, very strongly about! i volunteer at my local animal shelter, and it is heartbreaking the way people treat them. we could learn a lot from dogs. they would never treat us that way!!!!
Old 06-10-03, 04:16 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Lisa127, it was a smoker that brought it up...

I quit smoking a few years back, I'm glad I did, though i do miss the camradere(sp?) that smokers seem to have. I still get the pangs to have a smoke, specially when I want to choke the hell out of the &#$&&# at the other end of the line.

As a non smoker I don't want to have to carry the bill for illnesses caused by smoking, and it's more then a money thing. It adds strain to our hospitals tying up drs and nurses that could be doing better things then saving something brought on by self infliction.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 06-10-03, 05:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to daver676
ED_r,

Ok, now I understand where your coming from. My gf was a telemarketer (or something to do with calling and harassing people at dinnertime ) for a while, so I know all about the call que. That is a crappy situation when someone leaves and your stuck with all the calls.

Dave
Old 06-10-03, 05:18 PM   #39 (permalink)

Personally I don't see how this argument went so far on a reptile forum. Its stupid and childish. Who cares who smokes where. Its a free country deal with it. All I hear is complaining about a subject that will never change. There will always be rude smokers and they will never ban cigarettes. So why all this bitc****. For all you that say smokers get extra breaks who cares, you want extra breaks start smoking. Thats life you can't do anything about it. Btw I'm a smoker of weed and cigarettes and I'll continue to do it legal or not.

Last edited by stretch; 06-10-03 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 09:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Veteran Member

EVERY ADDICT HAS THEIR EXCUSES & THAT INCLUDES THE BUTTWOOFERS. WE ALL LIVE WITH OUR VICES, SOME PEOPLE JUST THINK THEY DESERVE EXTRA SPECIAL RIGHTS & PRIVLEDGES BECAUSE OF THEIR ADDICTIONS, WHILE NOT RESPECTING THE SAME RIGHTS/PRIVLEDGES OF OTHERS THAT STILL HAVE FREEDOM FROM THEM. I'M GLAD I SNAPPED OUT OF IT BACK IN 1986. JUST THINK OF ALL THE SNAKES YOU COULD BUY WITH MONEY THAT WENT UP IN SMOKE. ALSO HOW MANY OF YOU BUTTWOOFERS SIT & SUBJECT YOUR ANIMALS TO ALL THAT POISON YOU DECIDE TO TAKE IN. THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT NEED B-SLAPS & THEY CAN COME GET AS MANY AS THEY WANT FREE OF CHARGE, LOL! JUST KIDDING... LIGHTEN UP INSTEAD OF LIGHTING UP BOTH BUTTWOOFERS & NONBUTTWOOFERS ALIKE. MARK I.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-10-03, 09:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
AMEN Gonesnakee! But... what's a Buttwoofer?
Old 06-10-03, 10:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

Lisa,
I know it was a smoker that brought it up. I just think this whole debate is ridiculous. I understand that people don't like that I smoke. That's fine. No problem. I'm sorry, I have an addictive personality. Smoking wasn't my only addiction. I am a recovered anorexic. I couldn't give up everything (I need my sanity, ty). So I chose to give up the eating disorder. Trust me, it was killing me faster than the smoking was. And then I wouldn't be here for my animals or my kids! Although physically recovered, I still deal w/the anorexia in my head every day of my life. I do the best I can. And if smoking helps me deal w/it, so be it. Judge me for it if u must, but I know no one else here is perfect either. I try to be the best person I can be, and the best mother I can be. But I'm only human. And I'm proud of the recovery that I have managed.
Old 06-10-03, 10:43 PM   #43 (permalink)

Ok, so the smoking debate has become silly. Let's debate other annoying habits like pen-clicking or public nosepicking.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 06-10-03, 11:06 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Or how about people who INSIST on showing off their non-ability to talk on a cell phone and drive?

Marisa
Old 06-11-03, 12:46 AM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mike177 Send a message via MSN to Mike177 Send a message via Yahoo to Mike177
Quote:
But I could never date a smoker, yet alone marry one. I don't like the smell or the taste when you kiss. Icky.lol

you shouldnt base your life partner off what they do in there spare time but by the person they realy are to me it wouldnt matter and if it dose to you make the person choose between cigs and you.

ok never mind ill shut up now
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread