border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-03, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I agree with most everything everyone said.

I am a smoker. I am also a poliet smoker. I will not smoke indoors, nor near doorways. But I am also sick of non-smokers getting huffy about it to those who ARE respectful smokers. It is annoying.

I personally feel that non-smokers energies would be better spent trying to get cigarettes outlawed. If they hate smoking so much, why do they attack the people who are just using the freedom our governments give us? If you hate it so much, deal with them not with the people who are using a substance legally.

That's my view.

Marisa
P.S. Also its not a smokers fault for taking smoke breaks. If you are mad at them being allowed to do so, I feel your energies would be better spent talking to their superior who allows them extra breaks. Plently of places of employment refuse to allow extra smoke breaks. It's not a smokers fault yours does allow them.

Last edited by marisa; 06-10-03 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to LISA127
there are worse things a person could do than smoke!!!!!
everyone has a bad habit......hassle someone else for a while
Old 06-10-03, 01:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
I could care less if someone wants to burn their lungs out with toxins. That is their choice.
It is also my choice and right to not be exposed to that crap.
I'm very allergic to the smoke from those damn things. Yes - I'm bitter. There's nothing like walking around outside, in the FRESH air, and having to walk near or by someone who's smoking. I get a horrible sore throat and sore eyes in an instant. I can get a sore throat that lasts a good portion of the day just because I decided to breathe while walking by someone who was smoking.
Right outside buildings, around the University EVERYWHERE, at the bus stops, etc etc.
I won't badger and harrass someone who tells me they're going to go have a smoke. That is their choice.
But I have every right in the world to get mad when I'm caused great discomfort because someone thinks it's their right to light up.

Last edited by Youkai; 06-10-03 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

i used to smoke and i hated everyone bitchen about the extra breaks , the second hand smoke , and everything else. i think nobody has the right to tell someone else how to or what to do with his own life or body as long as it does not hurt someone else. all you non smokers have you thought of the overall harm you are going to do to the ecomony. how many people you will effect the farmers that grow the tobaco the emplyees that make the ciceretes ,ect. and has anybody evernoticed nobody bitches about cicgars and the taxes are only on cicerets not cigars or chew? that because lawmakers only smoke cicgars and dont want to tax them ,cicgars smell worse than cicgerets .what will be next after smokes are gone beer, sex, eaten certin foods , watchen movies above a"g" rating . we live in a free world lets start taking responabilty for our own actions stop worring about what other people are doing. i am sorry if this makes anybody mad but if we all would stop bitchen and put the same energy into other things and make the world a better place to live in we all would be happier>(

Last edited by scorpman; 06-10-03 at 01:20 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
I totally appreciate respectful smokers, I personally could care less what you do with your body but i don't want it around mine. I'm allergic and I really have to limit which restaurants/bars I attend because of smoking. I hate it when people smoke right next to a doorway when they could easily stand 5 feet away from it so the smoke doesn't bother people. I don't badger or harass people about it either but i really appreciate the law. Smokers that complain about it would be better off spending their energies on quitting since it's better for everyone.

I wouldn't worry about what other people were doing if it didn't affect my OWN health. i have a right to breathe fresh air.

About how it will affect the economy, economies evolve. When we stopped using coal for heat people got jobs in the oil industry. As cigarettes become less popular, other industries will come along to takes it's place. It's all part of a natural business cycle. there will always be trends, it's up to companies to stay on top of them. And to find away to do that without capitalizing on addiction, the world will be a much better place.

About the freedoms thing, nobody's banning cigarettes from sale or use. Just limiting where they can be used for the good of public health.

Last edited by Alicewave; 06-10-03 at 01:27 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-10-03, 01:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
More people smoke cigarettes than those who smoke cigars or chew.

I'm sorry scorpman, but try being in my shoes. My friends want to go out? Chances are that I cannot since there will be smoking. I would be feeling ill for days.

I personally don't care if the market suffers, or famers suffer at a smoking ban. If you want to do it or not, it is still unhealthy.
What you're seeing going in some cities now is a backlash. There are far more non-smokers than smokers. Some of us non smokers want to eat out, go out with friends, and have fun without stinking like smoke or getting sick.

Keep in mind that your smoking, especially if you smoke in public places, may be bothering other people. And THAT is why people will whine and b*tch.

You can defend your right to do what you want for as long as you want - until you are blue in the face. And you know what? Do it. But don't do it around me. Because it physically hurts me. It's my right to not have to worry about that.
Old 06-10-03, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

I have nothing against respectful smokers, I think it's a stupid thing to waste thousands of dollars on something like cigarettes that only do harm to self and others, but it is an addiction and a hard one to overcome at that. Don't do it around me and i'm fine with it.

Some people take too many smoke breaks in a day, and that affects their performance at work/school. I don't know what it's like to be addicted to them and don't want to so I really can't judge that part of it.
Old 06-10-03, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

we wouldn't be defending ourselves around the non-smokers, if it hadn't been brought up in a reptile forum. and if we weren't being criticized all the time. there are many, many restaurants to go to for the non-smokers that don't allow smoking. all movie theaters are now non-smoking. and some bars. so why is everyone complaining?

yes, it's an addiction. why don't we try talking about someone else's addiction for a while? u can't tell me there aren't any. any alcoholics, eating disorders, drug addicts, etc.?

Last edited by LISA127; 06-10-03 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Some people take too many smoke breaks in a day, and that affects their performance at work/school.
Is that so?
Really?
In my job, there are two others along with me that do the same exact thing.
One does not smoke.
One does smoke, but only every few hours.
I smoke like a forest fire, usually at least once, some times twice an hour yet I do twice as much as the other two combined. AND I work in the worst place at the business.

I actually pick on my bosses about that, I tell them I will slow down to the acceptable average, but I have no idea what I would do with the extra 1/2 hour every hour.

If anyone is not getting the job done anywhere, don't blame their smoking, blame their false laziness.

False laziness you ask?

Yes, because a truly lazy person is willing to do the job and get it over with, doing said job right so that it doesn't have to be repeated.
Old 06-10-03, 02:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
This may not apply to you.
As i stated before if it doesn't apply to you. If it doesn't it doesn't.

And When you do bring this up to supervisors and upper management there is also a problem. First Usually the upper management are the ones doing it too. Secondly I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but in the US everyone is so lawsuit crazy ,if you mention anything about the smoke breaks it is considered discrimination against them because they have an addictive habbit! Lets see does that mean if I have a coke habbit I can be excused to go do lines all day?

I do NOT hate smokers if they are respectful. My mother in law is a smoker, but will not smoke in my house out of respect for me. At dinner if someone asks if I mind they smoke I let them I'm not insane about it. I really don't care if anyone smokes on thier time.

I surely don't care if anyone smokes weed. As long as they respect me for not wanting to try it and not in my house. If I am at their house and they want to light up, I don't say a word. Not my place.

I could care les if anyone smokes , it's not costing me a dime.
Your life, your choice.

Possibly being on the other side of the border changes things a lot. Here lawyers rule the world! lol
Login to remove ads
Old 06-10-03, 02:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

anyone is entitled to breaks during a workday, not just smokers. around here, ive never heard of a company that offers more breaks to smokers, everyone gets the same amount of breaks. smokers are definetely NOT given special treatment in the states! far from it!
Old 06-10-03, 03:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Hell, i rarely even smoke in my own house if there are nonsmokers visiting. I have gotten in trouble before though. I have no problem with having to go outside (except at a freakin bar ) or to a smoking section. I got in trouble when i was sitting in the rear of a smoking section and some guy sits in the next booth and then rants and raves when i lit up. The guy was irate! I think the conversation ended when he ended up with a lit cig shoved into the bun of his burger. oops
Old 06-10-03, 03:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
actually pick on my bosses about that, I tell them I will slow down to the acceptable average, but I have no idea what I would do with the extra 1/2 hour every hour.
I respect that totally!!!

My example comes from an office standpoint where calls come in and get fielded by whomever is there. Obviously when someone is out on an extra smoke break, the rest are left to pick up their slack. At the same time if I were to be 5 minutes late from lunch I would get repromanded. Even when someone is not on a smoke break I cover my load and most others too.

Yes it is chosen laziness. When people choose not to deal with it , they disappear for a while, and leave the rest behind.

Extra is the key word here. If you get 15 minutes twice a day and an hour for lunch, thats what you get. Mind you this has been at a few places that I have worked at not saying its the norm, or maybe it is.

Last edited by Ed_r; 06-10-03 at 03:06 PM..
Old 06-10-03, 03:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mike177 Send a message via MSN to Mike177 Send a message via Yahoo to Mike177
hey,
i am a smoker and by the way it was me and my freind that everyone was getting pissed at. and it is not like it is a habbit for me i smoke a cig like onece a night befor i go te bed. BIG F**KING DEAL! i go through like a pack a month or so. so if you dont like me smoke then you can stick your thumb up your A** and Jeff makes a good point here you can get a corton for $15 in some brands but it is mostly 23-25 for the name brands and if u go on a army base smokes are DAMN cheap it comes out to like pennys per cig well anyway just my $00.02
Old 06-10-03, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

I have never smoked cigarettes but I will smoke a cigar occasionally about every four to six months for my own enjoyment. I don't mind if people smoke as long as it is not arround me, or at least down wind. Most people are very respectful and some aren't but that has nothing to do with smokers. Some people are like that whether they smoke or not. Nothing is worse then being stuck in a car with a smoker. Yuck! It is their vechical though but please be considerate. But the worst, absolute worst is when someone tries to light up in my car. I hit the brakes so hard he dam near swallowed it. He says," I will just blow it out the window." I said, "I said if you don't put that out your going through the window." I just had a full detail done too. That is inconsiderate. But most smokers I know are not like that so it is not the norm. It all depends on the person. I only complain when it is directly effecting me. Other then that I keep my comments to myself. When I was a manager I didn't care if people took smoke breaks as long as they got their fare share of the work done and done on time. Then it is not an issue. Tim.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread