sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-03, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
What to do with dead animals?

I know this is a morbid topic, but I'm curious. What do you do with your dead animals? I haven't had an animal death other than fish for a very long time. I used to bury my hamsters and make a tomb-stone for them. What does everyone else do?

Now 100% herp free!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-03, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
If one of my animals dies I bury them in the backyard and make a tombstone. One time I bought a baby ball from a pet store and it died in two days and I couldn't bring myself to bury it so I kept it in a ziploc and preserved it in my freezer (I know it seems kind of morbid but it was my first ball and I couldn't let him go) .

Old 06-04-03, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
I burn them, Ilive in the country and we have a problem with animals getting into the garbage I wouldnt want to come outside in the morning and find a dead 10ft snake dragged across the yard or worse the nieghbours yard LOL
Old 06-04-03, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
This mighr seem morbid but o-well, I used to keep mammals and when they died I would but them in a box with maggots and such and let them decompose where I could keep the skeloton. I have had any herps die except a green snake[I dont know why] amd I did the same thing I like to pose the skeleoton on a shelf in my room I have alot not just my animals but skulls and stuff I find in the pastures. LOoks really kool I put candle on their head and use them as candle holders when I do rituals. Thus do not think wiccans kill animals we dont nor sacrifice them I just like to look at bones.
Old 06-04-03, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Uh..well haha that's interesting CyberGhost.

Anyhow, I've buried pets who have died in the past (no herps yet). Usually in the woods someplace so I don't attract animals to my yard.

It's a good idea to make sure you're not burying someting illegal to own and get caught burying it, probably :O

blah blah blah
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-03, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
I just keep'em in the freezer till garbage day and out they go.
Old 06-04-03, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
I have them cremated and "plant" the ashes in one of my plants so that they are never really completely gone.
The Zombie Mama is here!
Old 06-04-03, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to fateamber
I just bury them.
"Is she not right, is she insane?"
Old 06-04-03, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
I still have a savannah monitor in the freezer from over a year ago. Been kicking around the idea of getting the beetles that clean the bones for museums and preserving the skeleton as a display. Just havent done anything yet. Rest either get burried or rarely in the garbage. Depending on how attached I was to it.
Don't forget ReptileFest April 3rd-4th
Old 06-04-03, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
Years ago, when I was called to a pet store to rescue a baby bearded dragon, I noticed this petite, cute little fat-tailed gecko. She was the first one I'd ever seen in person, and she was absolutely adorable! I couldn't get her out of my mind, but the $70.00 price tag didn't appeal to me as much as she did. I left, and MONTHS later I came back to the store to speak with the owner and saw that the fat-tail was still there! Long story short I took that little girl home and had her for quite a few years before she passed away. (We estimate she was over 10 yrs. old)

When she did die, I couldn't bear to bury her (and besides it was winter... the ground was frozen!) So my boyfriend went out and bought me this cute snowflack tin to put her body in. We filled it halfway with perlite, placed her body on it, then covered her up with it. I still have the tin and it may seem gross but I feel better having her around. I was WAY attached to her! I don't care what anyone thinks, I don't regret I did it! =D

R.I.P. ~*Ursela*~
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-03, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Samba Send a message via MSN to Samba Send a message via Yahoo to Samba
snowflake* not snowflack! LOL
Old 06-04-03, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to llama
My wife is a biology teacher so nothing goes to waste around here. Luckily the only deaths we have were 1 guinea pig and 1 ball python. Both were burried in side of a pair of pantyhose, and then in the ground. With in 3 months dig them up and Viola' a skeleton with all the bones still there. Do any of you know how hard it is to keep track of dozens apon dozens snake ribs.
Anyways, they are then put back together with Elmers glue and pipe cleaners.
I have also seen them for sale on Taxidermy web sites....$100 for a 16' frozen burm.
0.1 Columbian Redtail boa
1.0 Peruvian Red-tail Boa
1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
1.0 Savannah Monitor
0.0.1 Hypo Corn
Old 06-04-03, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
We've buried a few furries, returned 1 herp. anything else has run away (one snake and one cat)
Neo-Slither (Snake fanatic mailing list) http://<br />

May you live in interesting times.
Old 06-04-03, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
I keep them in the freezer.. why ? I have no idea.. They just lay there... I don't wanna throw them away... I probably will burrie them soon on our garden.

Cornsnakes / JCP / Sinaloan Milk / BRB / Veiled / ATB / WLP / Crested Geckos / Uroplatus Henkeli / Vietnamese Cave gecko / Chinese Cave gecko *What's Available*
Old 06-04-03, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to icequeen Send a message via Yahoo to icequeen
All of our pets are buried when the pass on.
Pet fish get a burial at sea of course (the toilet)
We have also cremated one cat, and kept the ashes. He was just too special to our family to part with he remains with us today.
But....other than that, all family pets are buried in the same secluded, rural area, sort of like our own private pet cemetary. With grave markers, a "coffin" of some sort, and a little prayer...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread