border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-03, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

not cleaning water bowl

just wondering what would happen to the snake if you did not clen the water bowl everyday? eg. regurge, not eat...etc.

Deuce
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-03, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
I don't clean my snake's water dishes every day - I clean it weekly or so, and also when they defacate in the water.

Zoe
Old 06-03-03, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to reptilez
Same, it never seems dirty enough for me to clean it. I aways go into other pets stores and they are filthy. Mine is always clean
Old 06-03-03, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Same here they get cleaned every week unless they dirty it.
Old 06-03-03, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Same here I don't know what would happen. My iguana used to poop in the water like everyday so I got tired of changing it stoped cleaning it for like three days then finally cleaned it. Don't think I'm horrible evil man, I did it to teach him not to poop in it all the time and it worked, he now only poops there like once a month on accident I think but I go and clean it as soon as I see it.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-03, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol just wondering though just to restate the questions what could happen to the animal if you didn't for a while then other than just plain death explain!!!

Deuce
Old 06-03-03, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Respiratory or gastrointestinal infection from bacteria breeding in the water dish is possible. If the snake has parasites an old water dish is a great place to get re-infested.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 06-03-03, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGhost
Same here I don't know what would happen. My iguana used to poop in the water like everyday so I got tired of changing it stoped cleaning it for like three days then finally cleaned it. Don't think I'm horrible evil man, I did it to teach him not to poop in it all the time and it worked, he now only poops there like once a month on accident I think but I go and clean it as soon as I see it.
Why in heaven's name would you want to do that, CyberGhost? That's called potty training and is a very desirable trait in igs!

It's much easier to wash out a potty than to scrub poo paintings off the cage floor and walls if they walk through their poop and then climb around the cage.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 06-03-03, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Oh, I didt know that
Old 06-03-03, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Okay well I can retrain it then, I was changing it to a new cage today when it jumped from inside and ran under my bed. I canot catch it I hate it when she does this.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-03, 05:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
let us know how your retraining efforts go.

We clean once a week and spot clean through out the week. Snakes on (news) paper get changed weekly regardless, cypress gets changed as needed.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 06-04-03, 08:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

We usually clean/refill water weekly while the snakes are in other containers eating, or sooner if it’s needed.

I used to volunteer my time at an exotic reptile shop in FL for a while. The owners were great, but one of their “partners” kept some of his own pets at the shop. He was an imbecile. We would continuously harp on him to change and clean the water bowls of his pets (i.e. venomous snakes, monitors, etc.) he said that putting fresh water in their bowls was not as necessary as we thought. After we pointed out the large amount of feces in the water he still had the same attitude. His response was that their poop was not “dirty”- his animals were captive-born, healthy and therefore their poop wouldn’t contain bacteria of parasites of anything threatening. Even if the animals were healthy, it’s just not right to not offer then clean water in a clean bowl and live/sleep in a clean environment. My thoughts anyhow.

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Old 06-04-03, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

We clean the water dishes every week on cleaning day and give them new water every other day or when needed. We also clean the bowls whenever the snakes deficate in them but ours do not do that too much. I am not exactly sure what would happen if you didn't clean it for a long time but if you left the feces in there it would most likely make them sick.

Steve
Old 06-04-03, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to fateamber
I clean the water bowls every three days. When you clean the vivs do you clean the hides?
Old 06-04-03, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Genius

Question, how would you like to drink week-old water? Your snake(s) are in captivity, not the wild, and even in the wild, snakes rarely drink from stagnant water sources. Sice you can't have a flowing stream in your tank or Rubbermaid, I feel if is best to change the water for my BP's every second or third day, and I notice within an hour or two of changing the water, my snakes drink. I fyou are going to err, err on the side of the snake.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread