sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-03, 06:04 AM   #31 (permalink)
hmmm??? changing the water every other day seems excessive to me. Especially when my snakes will hide for days on end. Plus, the days I work, I am gone for like 15 hours, so I dont have the time to tend to my snakes every other day. Thats the beauty of keeping reptiles, you dont have to give them daily attention and they wont even feel unloved.
Besides, I dont think if your reptile drinks water that is 4 or 5 days old, it will say to itself "damn this water tastes like crap, I wish my owner would give me fresh water everyday." But hey, if some of you are that concerned that you feel the need to change the water every other day, then more power to ya!!
Old 12-24-03, 10:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Well i clean mine every 3 days or so, unless it gets dirty before it, then i usually clean right away.
"Your heart understands what your head cannot yet conceive; trust your heart."
Old 12-24-03, 07:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to JasonBrennan Send a message via Yahoo to JasonBrennan
Damn, now I am starting to feel like one of those over protective parents or something. I change all the animals water daily. The bowls get a rinse and filled with fresh water. I scrub the bowls out weekly unless I find them actually dirty (poop or what not), then they get scrubbed upon discovery.

I don't agree with the statement that repitles don't need daily care. I feel they do need to be looked in on every day at the very least. I also work long and irregular hours (I am a warrant officer for the police department) and I have a pretty good sized collection (currently 66 reptiles, not to mention a few hundred mice and rats, the dogs, the cat, the hamsters, the rabbit...don't ask about the damn rabbit!...) I also have 4 kids and yet I still find the time to spend a couple of hours a day to tend to my is part of having pets!!! (this is just a pet peeve of mine, sorry for the mini-rant)
"To truly rescue an animal one has to provide long-term care that guarantees the animal's security for its natural life, because rescuing is more than removing an animal from a bad situation. Rescue involves restoring and preserving the animal's dignity for its natural life without stress, and this includes conserving the species as a whole for generations to come." (Brian Werner, founder TMLF / TCWR)
Old 12-24-03, 10:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Please Email Boots
I spend at least 2 hours a day in our reptile room. That doesn't include the time spent feeding them all. I work full time, but know that they need daily care too. I would never leave dirty water in any dish. I check lights and heat sources daily to make sure everything is working right as well. They get ever bit as much attention as any other per we own, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 12-26-03, 02:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
i clean all of my herps water bowls every day, but of you didnt they may get a inifection of some sort due to the fact that most of them defecat in the water...the water would get pretty nasty.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-26-03, 07:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Lizard
I pretty much need to clean the water bowl daily because my water monitor poops in it just about every day,sometimes more often than that.
In which case it gets cleaned when it needs it,even if it means being late for's just gotta be done. And I'm not talking about just dumping and refilling,I'm saying washed with hot soapy water.
Even captive born and raised critters have bacteria in their stools which shouldn't be ingested.
I wouldn't allow my dog to drink from the toilet bowl either,even though it has been flushed.

V.salvator 0.1

German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany's contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian Griffin: Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.

----Family Guy---
Old 12-26-03, 08:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
clean weekly or if pooped in, refill daily as needed
Closed Thread