border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-03, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've noticed in my tanks that if I didn't change the water after a week, if looked at in a glare, there is a thin layer of just week old ick on the top of the water. With my water bowls I also have heat lamps over them to increase humidity. My water would probably be evaporated after 2-3 weeks.

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Old 06-04-03, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
We've got a lot of weird minerals and stuff in our water. Even after filtration a film builds up on the water dishes. I make sure to change the water every other day and I scrub out all the mineral crap one a week.
Old 06-04-03, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

CLR cleans off the minerals pretty well- just make sure to rinse the bowls extremely well!

Old 06-04-03, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

every 3rd day.
still water goes stale, and who knows how many crickets have climbed through the water etc. Maybe I dont need to do it as often, but i feel better knowing theres always a fresh clean supply of water available.
Old 06-04-03, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

I change my water every 2-3 days, but I do check it everyday in case it is dirty (poo, substrate etc.).

To clean, I just use diluted dishwashing liquid.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-03, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Site Supporter

I find that the safest thing to use is vinegar, it is natural and easy to rince off... you dont even have to dilute it because all you need is a small ammount. For a nice boquet use red wine vinegar, hehe...
Old 06-04-03, 11:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Grant vg
I agree with mykee...
i like to change my water bowls often as i always notice most of my snakes will drink pretty much right after the water change.
every 2-3 days seems to be the general concensus.
Old 06-05-03, 10:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Alicewave Send a message via MSN to Alicewave Send a message via Yahoo to Alicewave
CLR is some toxic stuff. Ever notice the bottle says to use gloves when you use it? I wouldn't clean anything with that if it's gonna be in contact with my animals no matter how well it's rinsed. I'm paranoid about the fumes I guess.
Old 06-05-03, 10:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

I agree with Alicewave, I wouldn't use anything like CLR on my herp enclosures, especially in something they drink out of. Like Silkie said, vinegar works great! It takes off the heaviest mineral scale in no time at all, is very safe (hey we eat the stuff!), and also kills bacteria. To super clean enclosures, I use a spray bottle of vinegar and follow over top with a spray bottle of peroxide. Both very safe ingredients, and when used in this matter kill more bacteria than bleach!
Old 06-05-03, 12:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to tightsqueeze
i clean everything onve a week unless they deficate in there water or on the floor
, but i don't see how not changing the water bowl everyday is going hurt them ...noone changes the water in the wild ...lol
Old 06-05-03, 02:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

Quote:
Originally posted by tightsqueeze
, but i don't see how not changing the water bowl everyday is going hurt them ...noone changes the water in the wild ...lol
But as I believe someone already stated in this thread, in the water, the water is running, it isn't sitting stagnant in a bowl collecting bacteria
Old 06-05-03, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

wow lots of opinions that great!!! thnx a lot guys, and gals of course!!lol ya i try to clean the water bowl out every second day if possible but i think i will use vinegar now which will help!

Deuce
Old 06-05-03, 05:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Tightsqueeze.. Of course the water isn't physically changed by a human being in the wild, however there is usually a constant fresh supply, or at least fresh water when needed. Think about it, it does rain in the wild, rivers have currents that move any filth and theres morning dew on leaves, grass etc for smaller ground dwellers.
Old 06-06-03, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

I guess I didn't type enough: We've only used CLR once (at a vet's reccomendation) becasue we had a big mineral build up and it just wasn't coming clean. It was VERY diluted, about a capful to a good gallon of water. We were cleaning ceramic bowls and made sure that they were rinsed thorougly. We may have even put them in the dishwasher to just make sure, but I don;t recall anymore. Ok, I'll turn- stick to vinegar. (but it was just that one time)

Old 12-24-03, 05:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ScreamingMisfit Send a message via MSN to ScreamingMisfit Send a message via Yahoo to ScreamingMisfit
every other day no matter what
Scorched at Birth , I Turn to Death With No Survival ...Bid The World Undone , For Now My Blood Shall Run Without Soul ....Wrap Your Life Around Me , You Are MY Tourniquet. Breath Your Life In To The Nothing That Is Me.............(myself)

Member: DSG (Durham Snake Group)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread