sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-03, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Need Convincing!!

Alright here's the scenario...
My boyfriend really wants a chameleon and I'm not to fond of them..So..i'm asking for your help, could someone tell me just what's so good about these guys and help convince me to let him get one.

Though I'm pretty sure we'll get one either way...I just need to hear some good things about them first.

Thanks ahead of time.

Baby "G"
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-03, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zoe

Send a message via MSN to Zoe
There's tons good about them!

They are amazing... for starters, they are gorgeous. They come in all shapes, colours, and sizes, including BLUE, PINK, YELLOW, LIME GREEN, ORANGE. Many of them are tame and can be handled (some even enjoy it!). It is sooo cool too watch them eat... imagine watching a lizard nailing an unsuspecting cricket with a tongue longer than the lizard's body!
These guys never hide... mine are always out and about, being cute. That makes it easy to make a really nice display-type enclosure.

And Lastly...

How can you resist them?
Old 05-09-03, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

I love observing these guys, they move and color so differently it just capivates me.

Old 05-09-03, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Look at it this way - he'll be te one taking care of it, right? So you get to just observe it for the most part! What you will find is that they are incredibly captivating and interesting animals. I love them, but can't build a tank that I think is large enough for the species I want. Space limitations, ::sigh::

Anyway, I'd say let him do it. Observe them, and make your decisions anout them then.
Old 05-09-03, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo-Land

enough said...

Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-03, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

All righty, it appears while I was composing a post about all the positive things about chameleon ownership, a few other members have beat me to the punch!

So I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a change and ask... does your boyfriend know the cons about chameleon ownership? The long hours watering the beast? The endless search for varied bugs? The high price of proper UV lighting? The huge amounts of space a chameleon cage takes up in your house? The quest for proper humidity? I could go on at length!

Don't get me wrong, I love these woggley eyed creatures to death and agree with all the replies you've gotten.

Cheers!

Trace
Old 05-09-03, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

There's still just something about them I don't like....I think it's their feet....and maybe their eyes..

Though I must admit..Zoe the first two pics you posted are some of the cutest i've seen..what kind are they?
Old 05-09-03, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

oops sorry I was logged in under my boyfriends acount.

Baby "G"
Old 05-09-03, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zoe

The first two pics are of my female nosey be blue panther chameleon. So is the male (3rd pic).

They are readily available - but if you like the pink I'd go with a female :] just make sure you are ready for eggs.

Zoe
Old 05-09-03, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

OK . . my girl is in the bath right now so I thougt it would be time for me to put in my 2 cents. I was thinking of getting a 260 gallon "reptarium" and possibly installing a misting system; one that I would either build or buy. Plus I'm thinking of going with a panther or a couple of pygmy leafs. So as of right now this is not a inquiry o anything, it's just a couple of ideas that I'm kicking around. We are by no means prepared for a cham and the fact that we are getting another red-eye next week is really limiting the amount of room we have. We are moving in together this summer and we are setting up a herp room so that we can have more space for our little ones.

Trace: The UV lighting isn't a problem as we are already using it for our frogs and it will be going into the beardie enclosure that we are planning for this summer. The biggest problem I could think of would be bugs but I would still have a LOT of research to due before I would actually consider getting one. Just right now I'm trying to convince her that they are not "ugly" little things and that we need one .

Thanks for the help in convincing her. She keeps telling me that I can have one if I'm willing to have 3 kids. lol. I don't really think that is a fair trade off though.

Matt
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-03, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi Matt!

Again my post was not meant to disuade you from owning a chameleon! I'm usually the first person to say "go for it!" I just wanted to add a little spice to this thread. Panthers are a great choice for a good starter chameleon. I find they are generally fairly calm and friendly, although I have met the odd exception to this rule!

I can see by your post that you are doing your research on chams before you bring one home, and that is great! If you do have any questions at all though, don't be shy!

And Baby "G"... their feet are the best part! Just wait until you hold one!

Cheers!

Trace
Old 05-09-03, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess that I'm gonna have to take her to a pet store again (darn!) so that she can hold one. She agreed to give it a shot so we will have to wait and see how it goes.

Matt
Old 05-09-03, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zoe

Quote:
they are generally fairly calm and friendly, although I have met the odd exception to this rule!
Are you talking about a certain pink little lady with a heart-shaped mark on her side, Trace?
Old 05-09-03, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you talking about a certain pink little lady with a heart-shaped mark on her side, Trace?
Ummm..... Errrrrr.... perhaps! o> LOL! I'm sure she has a sweet personality with you... it's too bad poor Calypso is emotionaly scarred for the rest of his life by her.

Cheers!

Trace
Old 05-09-03, 07:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zoe

Hehe... Poor Calypso, I do fear sorry for him

She's not that friendly with me... the male is even worse... He's always showing off the inside of his mouth and giving me his "evil eye".

Silly boy.

Zoe
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread