border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-03, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

i am from texas and heck yea badgers dig holes that is why we blast them but no we do not shoot every thing but if it digs a hole we kill it sry bout you.

Jay
Box
Old 05-09-03, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
snakes all day - watch the language. It's rude, and there are children who visit this site. There is a time and place for that, and it certainly isn't here.

Oh, man. My pointer dug another hole in the backyard. Guess I should go blow it away?
Old 05-09-03, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hello Jay!

I edited your post for language... please refrain from swearing on this site. Thank you. I really don't want to shut this thread down on Helena, I think she deserves some informative replies.

Trace
Old 05-09-03, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
Helena, there are probably forums and mailing lists dedicated to these neat little guys. Maybe join one or two, and hang out for a while? Ask a few questions if you have them. It would probably give you a good idea of what you'd be getting into. Of course...people on a mailing list dedicated to them WILL be biased.
Old 05-09-03, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
reverendsterlin

prarie dogs aren't either badgers or moles or hedgehogs, about the only country to really buy any as pets is Japan. Basically the problem with ranchers is broken legs on livestock and their feeding preference. Collection is usually by a suction machine. Not a problem in Texas. Badgers are a bit different, Badgers live in a variety of habitats, but they most commonly are found in open country such as prairies and plains. They avoid heavily wooded areas andhabitats with rocky soils. Badgers are restricted to North America, and occur west of the Great Lakes region throughout the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains. Locally, they are most common in portions of West and South Texas although they occasionally are sighted in the eastern part of the state. Badgers usually den in shallow burrows except during breeding season, when they will dig a nest chamber deep below the ground. These "badger holes," called setts, are evidenced by the large amounts of mounded earth that surround them. Badgers usually are solitary creatures except when they breed late in the summer. Due to delayed implantation and development, the one to five pups are not born until March or April although the actual embryonic development of the pups takes only six weeks. The female cares for the blind and helpless pups by herself until they are grown and leave the den site late in the fall. Badgers normally may live for 10 to 12 years.

Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-03, 04:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Leo-Land

I've seen farmers shoot them for target practice in Wyoming when I went there on vaction. I guess they are pests to their crops huh?

The local pet store here sells them. They are pretty cool, but I would rather have a ferret.

Old 05-09-03, 05:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hi all again. First off I've spent some time in Texas & not many people are like "snakes all day" (thank God!), but unfortunately idiots are everywhere LOL. Futhermore I am not agreeing or disagreeing with people here (except s.a.d., I think sad is appropriate, LOL) but rather trying to present info. that has to be acknowledged. There are 2 sides to every coin & alot of grey area inbetween. Oh & Tim on the hypicrit thing I was refering more to guys like me who don't mind having thousands of mice/rats killed for the purpose of food for our "pets". Just think of all the people out there that would rather of kept what we called "food'" as "pets" or worse yet the people that eat snakes, DOH! LOL. That and the whole "hate the cattle industry", but eat beef & wear leather shoes thing. I know that prairie dogs & gophers are different but they's one in the same to the guys doing the "blasting" unfortunately. No matter what its one of those moral dilema things that can go on forever with the "KILL EM ALL" & "SAVE THE WORLD" attitudes, but all we can eally hope for is a happy medium (?). Mark I. - GONE SNAKEE!
Old 05-09-03, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Reverendsterling, Great info. on badgers. They are very cool animals & most interesting to watch "dig out gophers". Are they an actual member of the weasel family like skunks & such?
Mark I.
Old 05-09-03, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Please Email Boots

Gonesnakee: Well said! I agree with that I kept rabbits as pets growing up and now when I see a frozen one it still kind of bugs me. It is grey.

Rev.: Great info on Badgers. I was recently asked if I would take in a domesticated one. But decided not to. I know nothing about them and simply do not have room.

snakes all Day: For your info I was joking. It is an old joke that Texans shoot anything (some do). If it makes you feel any better to know. My mom was born in Austin raised in San An. I have two uncles, six cousins and a Grand mother that live in Texas. Plus I love the Long Horns. I hope this makes you feel better. Unless of course you are a A&M fan!(jk). Just to clarify what does scy bout you mean?
Old 05-09-03, 06:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to damzookeeper
Quote:
Originally posted by aqua_demon
I live right by a giant praire dof town i can go catch them like that anyone that wants one e-mail me at aquaOdemon@aol.com and tell me how much youll pay, ill find out more and see if i can ship them so just e-mail me
As far as I know it is illegal. Prairie dogs are endangered species.
Are you sure you don't mean ground hogs. lol.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-03, 06:57 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to damzookeeper
Quote:
Originally posted by Leo-Land
I've seen farmers shoot them for target practice in Wyoming when I went there on vaction. I guess they are pests to their crops huh?

The local pet store here sells them. They are pretty cool, but I would rather have a ferret.
Ferrets are great. We have a little girl named bella. She is a sweetie and we love getting ferret kisses.
Old 05-09-03, 06:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

man you can bye prarie dogs at the pet store buy my house the ranchers pay them to take them away they have thousand of the sry for cusin
Old 05-09-03, 07:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to NewLineReptile
I agree with Hamster of borg i have had one as a pet as a kid and they are a real cool pet and i would take another one any time for a pet being that mine died a few years ago but if you get one you will see how cool of a pet they really are good luck
newlinereptile@sympatico.ca
Old 05-09-03, 11:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

i hate when people brag about killing animals, it sickens and angers me.
Old 05-09-03, 11:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

i have 2 prarie dogs and they are the coolest little guys. i like it when the stand on their hind legs and just stand up, its so cute!

my friend has a farret and man are they fun to hold. they kinda remind me of snakes in a way they're really long.

not very hard to raise them, since i have so much time on my hands (until school hits) doh.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread