sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think its right to keep Hot Herps?
Yes 26 65.00%
Undecided 5 12.50%
No 7 17.50%
Dont Care 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-03, 06:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Squamata Concepts
Send a message via Yahoo to Gregg M
Well here is what I think....... Venomous reptile should never be considered "pets"......... They are not pets by any stretch....... I know for me and alot of other hot keepers on this site, venomous snakes are used to educate the public and our selves........ They are awsome creatures that need lots of respect and should only be kept by the most expeianced keepers........ Almost all the hot keepers I have talked with from this site are not in it to feel macho or for the rush......... If you keep hots for this reason you should not keep them........ But when you keep them for the reasons that BWSmith, ETET, Cobraman, myself, and a few others on this site keep them for, and the way we keep them, well then there should be no problem......... Again, venomous snakes are NOT pets.......
"A sure fire way for a government to lose control of something is for them to prohibit it."
Old 05-08-03, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
sorry, I came off a little half-cocked. It is just that this question comes up so often. There are plenty of irresponsible herp keepers out there, a tiny portion of those keep hots. Those that are irresponsible hot keepers get an enormous amount of press comparitively. There are thousands of causes out there that affect thousands to millions of persons, why should such a tiny brach as hot herp keepers suffer for the mistakes of even fewer persons. Most invenomations in the press aren't even herper related, some hiker or drunk gets tagged. To me it's like saying since there are car wrecks nobody should drive. As a hot keeper I tire of the constant 'should we allow keeping hot reptiles?', should we allow any Joe Blow to buy any reptile, look at how many reptiles die every year a much larger cause if someone needs a bandwagon. If you don't like hots, don't keep them, but unless you specifically are threatened by an animal in someone's collection by their poor technique it is all a 'what if' game, and your support or lack of it does affect us if somebody decides to try to regulate individuals.
Closed Thread