border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-03, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
30,000 Mice Discovered In Metro Barn

from http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/2174809/detail.html

Owner Of Barn Arrested

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City police responding to complaints of a foul odor coming from a barn found mice -- thousands of mice.

Officers said they found about 30,000 mice, and some snakes in the barn in the southern part of the city.

Police would not release the name of the barn's owner, but animal control officials said they will ask prosecutors to file charges.

"This building is completely full -- there's very little room to even walk around in there," said Steve Lira of Oklahoma City Animal Control.

He could face three misdemeanor charges, police said.

Authorities believe the man was raising the mice to sell as food for snakes. Nearby neighbors said the stench from the barn was unbearable.

"Massive odor, and that just blows my mind knowing that there are 30,000 mice (in there)," said Cecil Carpenter, who lives nearby.

Carpenter said nearby residents complained for months, but nothing was done.

"It was terrible," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just think, with that many mice we could afford to feed even more snakes.

May you live in interesting times.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-03-03, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo-Land

Haha.. What is he being charged with? Maybe all them mice went in there by themselves!

I would plead ignorance to the mice if that was me!

Old 05-03-03, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

ouch..thats sickening
Old 05-03-03, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to nicola_boulton Send a message via Yahoo to nicola_boulton
urrr gross. But i thought mice lived in barns?
Old 05-03-03, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I am sure mice DO live in barns.

But I am also sure this person was in over his head with feeder breeding and reptiles. That happens to some people. They start out wanting to help a few kittens and soon enough they have 657 cats crapping and pissing all over their home. Same with reptiles. Some people get one and think the care is "so easy" and they don't stop getting more and more and more and soon enough they are over run. Normal people would stop at that point, but others like this guy keep going because the thought of telling people you can't handle it anymore or someone taking them away is worse than doing whats right.

How sick.

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 05-03-03, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RachelS. Send a message via Yahoo to RachelS.
That is pretty nasty. Imagine the smell... ugh... yuck... *pukes*

I don't even wanna think about it
Old 05-04-03, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

JUST MORE NEGATIVE PUBLICITY FOR US HERPERS. DOH! MARK I.
Old 05-04-03, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3
Heh, that guy lives several minutes from me. Don't know him personally, but A few guys I know was telling me about this ( they know him) and all the mice were in cages and tanks, and were as clean as most people could keep clean. I mean, my rodent house is as clean as I can keep it but it stinks. Now if all I hear from reliable sources is true then there shouldnt be any fines placed because I wasn't aware we had laws on certain mice limits and if the stintch is the factor than These dumps and a few people I know need to be fined as well. (most of the dumps are near quite a bit of homes and the smell doesn't strike my fancy just driving by.)
Xain
Old 05-04-03, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

I am not sure on this, but I think that mice are considered a pest in the city limits so a breeding operation - no matter how clean - is still illegal in many places...
Old 05-06-03, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to aqua_demon Send a message via MSN to aqua_demon Send a message via Yahoo to aqua_demon
Thats stupid if somone wants to keep 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 mice they should be able to thats their business and as for the stench i agree with Kroka go fine the dumps a ppl that dont bathe if they dont then they have no right to touch this man.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-07-03, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by aqua_demon
Thats stupid if somone wants to keep 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 mice they should be able to thats their business and as for the stench i agree with Kroka go fine the dumps a ppl that dont bathe if they dont then they have no right to touch this man.
actually, if he's breaking the law and or infringing on other peoples rights then yes he can be charged etc. if the animals are kept in inhumane conditions then yes, he can be charged. You do not have the right to do what ever you want.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 05-08-03, 07:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nanashi04 Send a message via MSN to Nanashi04 Send a message via Yahoo to Nanashi04
Personally, I'm not a big fan of mice... Sure, I'll use them as feeders, if that's what it calls for... and they are kinda cute. My cat eas them a lot. It's kind fun to watch her hunt... but other than that, I wouldn't ever keep quite that many. Gerbils are kinda cute...
Old 05-08-03, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to snakelover111 Send a message via Yahoo to snakelover111
yah i know i used to live in oklahoma
Old 05-08-03, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to unknownclown
well from what I seen it didnt look that bad the tubs they were taking out didnt seem over crowded and the mice looked healthy. Of course I didnt get to see the whole place or smell the stench neither. Personally I think there shoud be some sorta standard as far as air filtering is concerned. Maybe if he had used some sorta siding instead of wooden walls also it woulda been easier to clean and the stench wouldnt sink in. From what I seen I dont think there should be charges put on the guy but fines for not accomodating to the odor that amount of mice can produce and inconsideration to his neighbors.
Old 05-08-03, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lizzy001 Send a message via MSN to Lizzy001
lol..really!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread