border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-20, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

What do you think are the best beginner snakes?

Just asking, trying to learn a bit about beginner snakes because eventually I want to get one, we'll see if my parents will allow it.
Thiccaxlotl:0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-20, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What do you think are the best beginner snakes?

The most stereotypical one you will hear are BPs just because of their forgiving temperament and simple husbandry requirements, and yeah they are pretty great. Corn Snakes and King Snakes are popular choices and will take up less space. It depends, if you want to handle it, ball pythons are known to be most comfortable with handling. But other snakes such as green tree pythons are less tolerant to things like that, but they are always nice to look at if that is all you would like. One tip i will say is to not only rely on one care guide, get multiple opinions and do your research. You can pretty much get any snake just as long as you are able to maintain its health and needs and it meets your needs as well.
dangernoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah tho BPs sometimes are picky eaters and aren't very active. So it really depends what your looking for. If you want and active snake the Cali Kings, corns, or garters are generally good options. (Other than garters snakes in my opinion) BPs are tipically much prettier if you don't like the 'wild' look. All of them are awesome options tho! Also I've heard that African egg eater snakes make good beginner snakes if you can find the right size eggs. And those are absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. Good luck on your first snake!!!
ReptiWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ball pythons are popular partly because they're so commonly available due to breeder's overproduction. Normals babies often go for $20, but IMO there are better choices than cheap and easily available. Corn or king snakes are less demanding regarding temp and humidity requirements. Boas are also very abundant, and most babies have docile dispositions, but you may not want a snake that will grow that large and need appropriate-size housing as an adult to start out with. On the other hand, boas are somewhere between a ball python (aka pet rock) and a typical colubrid like a corn snake as far as general activity level when handling.
Regardless of what you choose, spend plenty of time researching care requirements and have everything ready before bringing one home. You might find a snake and setup available on Craiglist, but be aware that the setup may not be suitable, and/or the snake may be neglected, have some sort of health issues, or be infested with mites.
9.4.18 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.2 carpet pythons, 1.1 BCI, .1 Dumeril's boa, 1 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 Candoia, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 2.2 corns, 1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1. Woma, .1 spotted pythons. .1 Boiga nigriceps, 2 Olive house snakes.
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

You got me there that ball pythons are cheap- I even saw one on morph market for $1. They are also not very active, but some people do not mind. Most snakes that are more active are not as tolerant to handling, but will attune to handling if you are patient with it, so a small colubrid if you are looking for something more active. In my opinion I love how all snakes look.
High Blue Green tree pythons are super pretty- just had to say that.
dangernoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-20, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks people
Thiccaxlotl:0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Can't go wrong with kings, carpets, or boas.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
EL Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Adult corn snakes
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm going to agree on corn snakes. Hardy, easy to keep, personable, good looking- there simply isn't anything not to like about corn snakes.
I would give a close second to kingsnakes of the getulus species group- California kings, chain kings, etc. They have all of the same appealing qualities of corn snakes, but are a bit more nervous.
Herpin' Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

ball pythons are a popular choice in america along with milk snakes, king snakes and corn snakes. another good one is a bull snake although they get quite big and can be a bit aggressive, and last of all a Woma python although they are Australian snakes and they are hard to find they are amazing eaters and are very friendly along with don't get to bit. i recently go a hatchling and he has eaten every meal and he has not biten or struck at me once.
Neve123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-22-20, 01:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

The only one I have personal experience with is the mexican black kingsnake and he is very easy to keep.
AkiraZWolf is offline   Reply With Quote