border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-03, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Former Moderator no longer active

I do all my own basic medical procedures myself (deworming, some infections, etc). If it beyond my call, such as xrays, blood work, etc, then I seek out my vet. Unfortunately my vet is strictly by the books, which makes it difficult for me to attain any drugs without a visit, or even have them called in to vets down here I'm sure there are many other vets that would be easier to work with, however, the only vet I trust is the one that I am at. All the vets down near me are useless

Quote:
Originally posted by chondro python
no it is verry hard to overdose with thows drugs
Fenbendazole (panacur) has a fairly large safety margin, however as forementioned by BWsmith, flagyl does not. Even vets have caused fatal overdoses using it. Extreme caution needs to be applied (as with any drug) when using it.
Old 03-03-03, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah, I've seen a fair number of deaths, and an even larger number of neurological defects that were caused by Flagyl overdosing. I never give Flagyl unless there are confirmed protozoa in the fecal samples. I have very accurate triple balance beam scales and weigh my animals before every dose of meds, too, to make sure dosing is not just a guesstimate.

But my vet friends come for dinner almost every Monday night and we give all the animals a once-over, including monthly fecals. They even bring a portable xray or ultrasound if needed. I realize not everybody has that luxury.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 03-03-03, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to J_Riley
Man, I need to get some vet friends like that!!
Old 03-03-03, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Xetox
Yea I grew up with two people that become vets, we dont meet evermonday or no shite like that but, I get most my work done for free
Old 03-04-03, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Wu-Gwei
Quote:
Originally posted by eyespy
But my vet friends come for dinner almost every Monday night and we give all the animals a once-over, including monthly fecals. They even bring a portable xray or ultrasound if needed. I realize not everybody has that luxury.

Hey Eyespy, you didn't fill in your location. If you're around me, your vet is invited to my place every Tuesday.

About Flagyl, if one follows the dosages, I don't think it's THAT bad. Yes, Flagyl is less forgiving than Panacur.

Cheers,
JJ
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread