border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-17, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep-2017
Location: Eureka
Age: 20
Posts: 14
Country:
Ball python pairing ideas!

Hey people fall is starting. Breeding season is nearing. And I just got a bunch of ball pythons. Never bred them before so hoping all goes well. Just looking to see what pairings people think would be cool with what I have.

Males
Superblast
GHI (might be a little small to breed, and haven't tried to find sperm plugs)
Goldblush Mojave
Pastel pied
Pastel clown (also a little small)
Banana (same again he's a bit small so would need to check for plugs)

Females ready to breed in size
Het pied
Het albino
Pastel special
Queenbee
Killerbee
Pied
Butter crystal BEL (on the small side of all in the list)
Cinnamon enchi
Lemonblast
Pastel het TSK axanthic
Black pastel het pied (same size as BEL)
killercandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-23-17, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,565
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Well what do you think would be cool?
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Albert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2015
Posts: 3,174
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

You have quite the collection there but you should breed what you want and desire. That is more important than what other people think. All of them are winners starting with the nice array of pied combos that you have. Good luck.
Albert Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2017
Location: West Columbia
Posts: 18
Country:
Send a message via MSN to Monocled Guy Send a message via Yahoo to Monocled Guy
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

GHI x Pied would be cool.
Monocled Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep-2017
Location: Eureka
Age: 20
Posts: 14
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
You have quite the collection there but you should breed what you want and desire. That is more important than what other people think. All of them are winners starting with the nice array of pied combos that you have. Good luck.
I do get that. And I definitely want to put the pied individuals together and I'm hoping to pick up another pied combo with another gene at the Sacramento reptile show this upcoming weekend. I've just never really dealt with ball pythons before so was hoping input on what people like too.
killercandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-26-17, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,565
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercandy15 View Post
Hey people fall is starting. Breeding season is nearing. And I just got a bunch of ball pythons. Never bred them before so hoping all goes well. Just looking to see what pairings people think would be cool with what I have.

Males
Superblast
GHI (might be a little small to breed, and haven't tried to find sperm plugs)
Goldblush Mojave
Pastel pied
Pastel clown (also a little small)
Banana (same again he's a bit small so would need to check for plugs)

Females ready to breed in size
Het pied
Het albino
Pastel special
Queenbee
Killerbee
Pied
Butter crystal BEL (on the small side of all in the list)
Cinnamon enchi
Lemonblast
Pastel het TSK axanthic
Black pastel het pied (same size as BEL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercandy15 View Post
I do get that. And I definitely want to put the pied individuals together and I'm hoping to pick up another pied combo with another gene at the Sacramento reptile show this upcoming weekend. I've just never really dealt with ball pythons before so was hoping input on what people like too.
People like:

Pieds
BEL's
Clowns
GHI
Banana

Nobody cares about:

Pastel
Pinstripe
Super pastel
Axanthic

You are extremely heavy on males
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,016
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Are Balls that attractive as a selling item? I have one, and I don't want any more as I'm trying to diversify my species, and it seems to me that the market is really saturated, even with the minority morphs that cost way too much for a snake I look at like a "pet rock" as some are want to call it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the where one would go with these.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 27
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

I would say - the following pairing should give some nice babies.

Pastel Pied male - with the het pied/pied females. - for some het pieds/pied babies.

Goldblush Mojave male - with Butter Crystal BEL female. For some possible BEL babies.

Banana male - with Lemonblast Female.

GHI male - with Cinnamon enchi female.
Krj-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,565
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Are Balls that attractive as a selling item? I have one, and I don't want any more as I'm trying to diversify my species, and it seems to me that the market is really saturated, even with the minority morphs that cost way too much for a snake I look at like a "pet rock" as some are want to call it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the where one would go with these.
I put it this way, if they didn't sell would you still see so many available?
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,016
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Just seems like there's a glut in the market, and what I see locally, in Craigslist, with everyone trying to dump theirs, it doesn't seem like there are that many out there wanting to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I put it this way, if they didn't sell would you still
see so many available?
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-27-17, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep-2017
Location: Eureka
Age: 20
Posts: 14
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Yeah I got into ball pythons on a whim. I only paid $500 for 3 freedom breeder racks and all the snakes. However locally where I am is pretty rural and expensive to get stuff in. And it's a college town next door. So there's a huge market for morphs of any snakes since they are one of few animals allowed as pets in the dorms. I favor carpet pythons over all else. I love the personality variance but for breeding unfortunately many people struggle with not enjoying them as babies since they are nippy babies.
__________________
2.3 Carpet pythons 5.15 Ball pythons 1.2 Florida king snake adults 5.4 FL king babies 0.1 Rio Fuerte Beaded Lizard // Who else enjoys herping in the field with a friend rather than going shopping?
killercandy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,016
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

I picked up a 6yr old a few months ago and him and I have an understanding--he doesn't bother me w/o food and I respect his privacy. Now, I have a juvenile Zebra JCP and he was fine the first day, and when I put him in a temp tub the other day; but last night, when I moved him into a 20gal temp viv, until I can get him in a 40gal, he looked a little testy. Time will tell with him but I hope he turns out a bit better then his big brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercandy15 View Post
Yeah I got into ball pythons on a whim. I only paid $500 for 3 freedom breeder racks and all the snakes. However locally where I am is pretty rural and expensive to get stuff in. And it's a college town next door. So there's a huge market for morphs of any snakes since they are one of few animals allowed as pets in the dorms. I favor carpet pythons over all else. I love the personality variance but for breeding unfortunately many people struggle with not enjoying them as babies since they are nippy babies.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,565
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Just seems like there's a glut in the market, and what I see locally, in Craigslist, with everyone trying to dump theirs, it doesn't seem like there are that many out there wanting to buy them.
So I have friends who produce hundreds and into the thousands of ball pythons a year. A lot are shipped off to wholesalers who sell to pet stores because it's a massive demand on the pet level.

A lot are are then shipped overseas, particularly Asia, where the high end stuff is bought up quickly and in large amounts.

So yes, there's still a demand. It might be better to believe there's a "refined" demand because some morphs just aren't popular as they once were and you'd have a hard time selling them...like genetic stripe.
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,016
Country:
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Sounds just like the puppy mills...no difference...and we all know what we think about those!

I also wonder how many "cute" juvenile wholesale snakes end up back on the market once people see how big they get? Not in length, or "bitey", and nothing like Retics, but just because of the size the buyers weren't expecting since the buyers didn't do their homework. Then there's the food procurement, etc., etc., etc.

And shipped overseas? Snake burgers or kabobs? We know what the Chinese do to dogs...in the thousands!

Meh, just sounding off as I clean my cages today and decided to climb up on the soap box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
So I have friends who produce hundreds and into the thousands of ball pythons a year. A lot are shipped off to wholesalers who sell to pet stores because it's a massive demand on the pet level.

A lot are are then shipped overseas, particularly Asia, where the high end stuff is bought up quickly and in large amounts.

So yes, there's still a demand. It might be better to believe there's a "refined" demand because some morphs just aren't popular as they once were and you'd have a hard time selling them...like genetic stripe.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,565
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Sounds just like the puppy mills...no difference...and we all know what we think about those!

I also wonder how many "cute" juvenile wholesale snakes end up back on the market once people see how big they get? Not in length, or "bitey", and nothing like Retics, but just because of the size the buyers weren't expecting since the buyers didn't do their homework. Then there's the food procurement, etc., etc., etc.

And shipped overseas? Snake burgers or kabobs? We know what the Chinese do to dogs...in the thousands!

Meh, just sounding off as I clean my cages today and decided to climb up on the soap box...
If you have so much disdain for the industry why do you keep any animals and so many? Why do you put ANY money into the hobby? Why participate if you hate everything that makes it go round?
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Tags
ball python, breeding, ideas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0