border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-17, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 40
Country:
Question heat lamps

hey
i have a question about my heatlamp. i have a cali kingsnake and looked up on the internet what the best temperature is it said 29 degrees on the hot side and on the cold side 25 degrees. my thermometer says its 22 degrees right now (my thermometer is placed on the right side of my terraria) how can i up my temperature and are the degrees above correct ?

Thanks
werled is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-10-17, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
TRD
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Posts: 556
Country:
Re: heat lamps

Cali kings like about 28 C ambient temperature (not surface!) on the hot end. Surface temperature can be much higher. 24-25C on the cooler end is also fine.

I keep my Calis with 28 C hot, 24 C cool ambient temps, and a surface temp on the hot end of 36 - 38 C.

If it's too cold right now, try a higher wattage light bulb on the hot end I would say. I'm not sure if "the right side" for you is the hot or cold end, or how you are heating your terrarium (which also greatly influences what temperature a normal thermometer gives). So a bit more details on exactly how you are measuring temperatures and how you are heating the place would help a lot.
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 40
Country:
Re: heat lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Cali kings like about 28 C ambient temperature (not surface!) on the hot end. Surface temperature can be much higher. 24-25C on the cooler end is also fine.

I keep my Calis with 28 C hot, 24 C cool ambient temps, and a surface temp on the hot end of 36 - 38 C.

If it's too cold right now, try a higher wattage light bulb on the hot end I would say. I'm not sure if "the right side" for you is the hot or cold end, or how you are heating your terrarium (which also greatly influences what temperature a normal thermometer gives). So a bit more details on exactly how you are measuring temperatures and how you are heating the place would help a lot.
i have a heat lamp on the right side of my terrarium i have two fittings but only use one of them on the right side. and my thermometer as well. how much wattage do i need to use then. my local pet store sells lot of lamps maybe this one Exo Terra UV B lamp 13 or 26 watt. i am heating the place with a single heat lamp. Thanks
werled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 05:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 121
Country:
Re: heat lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
my local pet store sells lot of lamps maybe this one Exo Terra UV B lamp 13 or 26 watt. i am heating the place with a single heat lamp. Thanks
Those spiral type 13 and 26 watt bulbs are designed for lighting your terrarium and put out very little heat (I have a 26 watt Exo Terra Natural Light). If you just want to use one bulb for both heat and light, go for something like the Exo Terra Daytime Heat Lamp instead. They go all the way up to 150 watts and provide broad spectrum daylight and heat.
scales.jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 40
Country:
Re: heat lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales.jp View Post
Those spiral type 13 and 26 watt bulbs are designed for lighting your terrarium and put out very little heat (I have a 26 watt Exo Terra Natural Light). If you just want to use one bulb for both heat and light, go for something like the Exo Terra Daytime Heat Lamp instead. They go all the way up to 150 watts and provide broad spectrum daylight and heat.
do these lamps reach 26 degrees
werled is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-10-17, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul-2017
Posts: 121
Country:
Re: heat lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by werled View Post
do these lamps reach 26 degrees
The spiral bulbs run very cool, but the heat lamp will go up to and beyond 26C depending on what wattage you buy, the size of the enclosure, where you position the lamp, etc.
scales.jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
TRD
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Posts: 556
Country:
Re: heat lamps

How high is your terrarium (between light and ground that is). It also depends on your ambient temperatures, if it's now 22 C there and you wish to have 28 C then I would say you'd need a 75W light. If they sell only Exo Terra there, then I think this one will do the trick. If the space between light and snake is low (< 30 cm) then perhaps a 50W would be a better choice. You'll have to work it out a little bit, which works best for you.

These come in 25, 50, 75, and 100 Watt editions:


It says it's a spot light, but actually it's a flood light (65 degree beam angle). It does it's job alright, it's not too bright and has UVa light as well.

Try not to use real spot lights, they get too hot in the spot area and too cold everywhere else.

Last edited by TRD; 09-10-17 at 11:08 AM..
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snakes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0