border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-17, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2017
Location: Okeechobee, FL
Posts: 2
Country:
Exclamation My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. My name is Fletcher, I have a 4-5 year old, 4' California King Snake named Zombie. Well I made the mistake of putting paper towels, with red colored designs on them, as a substrate and now Zombies belly is bright red from the ink.

A- is this harmful to the him, should I take him to the vet?

B- Is there any way I can help to clean it off?

I bathed him in warm water yesterday while I cleaned his tank out, but he still has the red ink all on the underside of his body. Zombie doesn't seem aggravated or sick but I'd still like to see what I can do for him. any advice will be much appreciated.
flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-17, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Minkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: middle tn
Posts: 4,281
Country:
Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

In short, he will be fine. If it doesn't come off with water, it will when he sheds again. No worries.
__________________
"THE Reptiholic"

I stopped counting at 30....
Minkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2017
Location: Okeechobee, FL
Posts: 2
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

cool ,thanks!
It looks like hes about to shed now.
flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 813
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Just echoing Minkness, it's fine. Probably wouldn't use that same brand again however.
jjhill001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
SSSSnakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2011
Age: 55
Posts: 1,802
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Just echoing Minkness, it's fine. Probably wouldn't use that same brand again however.
Use news paper, the ink is made from vegetable oil and is safe.
__________________
Conservation Through Education
www.jerrythesnakeman.com
SSSSnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 08-12-17, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,020
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

In a response to and email I sent to Proctor & Gamble, makers of Bounty paper towels...

"Thank you for contacting Bounty with your inquiry. Water based printing inks are used for decorative patterns only, and white Bounty towels don't have any inks in them at all. To obtain a more specific list of what's used in those inks, I'll need to enter a Research Request with my team. The response can take 7-10 business days, so please be on the lookout for my personal update."

I haven't requested the "more specific list", but they're food safe so I wouldn't worry. I also used to eat fish & chips from newspaper when I was a kid in England, and I'm still alive, so that would probable be acceptable as well.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,208
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
In a response to and email I sent to Proctor & Gamble, makers of Bounty paper towels...

"Thank you for contacting Bounty with your inquiry. Water based printing inks are used for decorative patterns only, and white Bounty towels don't have any inks in them at all. To obtain a more specific list of what's used in those inks, I'll need to enter a Research Request with my team. The response can take 7-10 business days, so please be on the lookout for my personal update."

I haven't requested the "more specific list", but they're food safe so I wouldn't worry. I also used to eat fish & chips from newspaper when I was a kid in England, and I'm still alive, so that would probable be acceptable as well.
Except the health and safety brigade long ago stopped fish and chips (note for those that don't know by chips I mean sort of like fries but much much nicer) being sold in newspaper.

Never tasted the same since
__________________
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,081
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Except the health and safety brigade long ago stopped fish and chips (note for those that don't know by chips I mean sort of like fries but much much nicer) being sold in newspaper.

Never tasted the same since
Now I want fish and chips lol
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (curly fry - unofficial) black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,208
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
Now I want fish and chips lol
Meal of kings is fish and chips...
__________________
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 06:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 813
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

What kind of enclosure is it in?
jjhill001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 08-13-17, 06:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,208
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
What kind of enclosure is it in?
The fish and chips? :
__________________
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,081
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Meal of kings is fish and chips...
There are a few places that do proper English style fish and chips. Actual chips not thin fries.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (curly fry - unofficial) black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 07:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
dave himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: May-2012
Location: Belfast
Age: 53
Posts: 3,425
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
The fish and chips? :
This made me roar like a donkey. But have to agree nothing like fish and chips being served on newspaper, ahhh the good auld days
__________________
I've gazed at the stars too fondly
To be afraid of the night
dave himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-17, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 1,020
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

My step-father was stationed at RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk...we used to frequent the f&c shop in the Mildenhall town center. That's also how I fell in love with putting malt vinegar on chips vice ketchup, something I still do today; and just around the corner, in a sandwich shop, I found out just how hot English mustard could be! My teen years were one adventure after another in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
This made me roar like a donkey. But have to agree nothing like fish and chips being served on newspaper, ahhh the good auld days
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.8 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 12:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
dave himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: May-2012
Location: Belfast
Age: 53
Posts: 3,425
Country:
Re: My snake has red ink on its belly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
My step-father was stationed at RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk...we used to frequent the f&c shop in the Mildenhall town center. That's also how I fell in love with putting malt vinegar on chips vice ketchup, something I still do today; and just around the corner, in a sandwich shop, I found out just how hot English mustard could be! My teen years were one adventure after another in the 70s.
Sounds like you've seen a few places mate , you should try the English mustard and ketchup on hotdogs it's pretty tasty
__________________
I've gazed at the stars too fondly
To be afraid of the night
dave himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0