border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-17, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
GyGbeetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Location: AZ
Age: 43
Posts: 558
Country:
Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
"Thats interesting but in my experience" practice that one in a mirror so you xon't get banned.
Oh, it's sooooo hard to!!!!!!!!! My best get-away-quick is to smile, nod, and say I have something pressing over here. I've done "that's interesting but in my experience" bit before, and the responses have made my blood boil. So now I just smile, and nod. Smile and nod.
__________________
2.5 BCIs, 1.1 BCAs, 1.1 tiger retics, 0.1 Burm, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Colombian rainbow boa

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
GyGbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,061
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

With the internet it has largely become keyboard warriors and bringing out the worst in people. There are still places you can go to have a reasonable conversation about differing methods. From my experience on forums for a wide range of hobbies the global ones tend to be the most even keeled and best sources of information, local forums tend to be more aggressive with a 'my way or the highway' mentality. Seems the ones with members from all over the globe have a better balance with people willing to listen to new ideas instead of instantly saying NO YOU'RE WRONG. On any forum you'll have people that won't be open to new ideas, you'll have newbies or people that are asking questions but really only want answers validating what they already believe and you'll have people that will ask questions wanting help and insight from others.

Caresheets are largely a joke, read a dozen and half will contradict the other half with widely ranging info. Humidity is rarely mentioned in detail, temperatures range a lot and cage size is all over the map. Some will have a cage that easily fits inside another one. I turn to people who have already kept the animal as an adult and use that as a baseline. Due to my smaller collection and desire to give space I might upsize a specific cage because I can.

When you're on a specific forum for a period of time you begin to learn who you deem reliable information sources and who is stuck in their own ways no matter what.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 California Kingsnake (Yzma) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,064
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

The internet is a double edged sword I think. Yes its all to easy to come across 'experts' who are anything but but by the same token you can get to hook up with genuine experts who are passionate about the hobby and who you would never have met pre-internet days.

When I was researching the scrubs I dropped a line to respected breeder and he was very happy to chew the cue and chat through all my questions and I received further help from another contact who has significant experience with them. Similarly with the olives I know perhaps one of the only other people in the uk who has a pair and he was able to verify what the store had told me about them. I trust the store entirely but when spending that amount of money and when considering breeding etc knowing I have someone on hand who can help is invaluable.

By the same token of one more person on a particular Facebook group tries to tell me that leopard geckos and bearded dragons should only be kept on vinyl tiles or paper towels then I'll scream...
__________________
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you do not know why. Often these happen together, nothing works and nobody knows why. - Arihato
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,550
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Its the differing methods yielding the same results thing that doesn't bother me at all as long as someone can use a reasonable amount of logic to explain why they are doing it. If their animals are healthy who cares? It used to be every animal was kept on gravel or shavings. If we interviewed an average reptile keeper from 30-40 years ago that you could keep leopard geckos or snakes on paper they would have called you a nut (I'm sure some did keep them this way but I know most of them old *** books didn't recommend that.)

In reference to your other comment (no need to muddy up the thread more than I have by responding to everything lol). I think you may have hit the nail right on the head with the specific species forums/groups and people getting too ingrained into various hive minds.

It's very easy now to probably get into a group on facebook that would tell you that there are 0 cons to a naturalistic setup, just as easy as it is to get into a group that will tell you that if you don't keep your X on paper it will 100% die an immediate and horrible death and it will probably take the cat down with it. Probably could do this with every dang thing in the hobby.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I'm okay if the cat is going down too!
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2017
Location: Northwestern Ohio
Posts: 181
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

I've peeked in on several different forums, and generally what I've found is "It has to be done this way or the animal will die." I asked a question on a bearded dragon forum, and basically got bombed with responses telling me how to care for the animal. None of them even answering my question.
I've found it difficult to get reliable information most of the time. Resorting to writing down the different information I come across and comparing it. Then coming up with my own "care sheet" that I use as a guideline for keeping the species. Adding in my own observations of the animal and experience with time. Such as with my Jungle Carpet Python. She's been attempting to climb a lot, hence add in more branches/perch. Even though I'm still a bit green in keeping reptiles, I feel some of my experience is still valuable. I've found some individuals closed-minded to it however. It's just about finding the right group of people and going what works for you and the animal.
__________________
1 Cali King, 1 bearded dragon, 1 Spotted Python, 1 BP, 1.0 JCP, 1 KSB, 1 Florida Banded Water Snake, 1.1 Western hognoses.
regi375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-20-17, 03:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
GyGbeetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Location: AZ
Age: 43
Posts: 558
Country:
Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regi375 View Post
I've peeked in on several different forums, and generally what I've found is "It has to be done this way or the animal will die." I asked a question on a bearded dragon forum, and basically got bombed with responses telling me how to care for the animal. None of them even answering my question.
I've found it difficult to get reliable information most of the time. Resorting to writing down the different information I come across and comparing it. Then coming up with my own "care sheet" that I use as a guideline for keeping the species. Adding in my own observations of the animal and experience with time. Such as with my Jungle Carpet Python. She's been attempting to climb a lot, hence add in more branches/perch. Even though I'm still a bit green in keeping reptiles, I feel some of my experience is still valuable. I've found some individuals closed-minded to it however. It's just about finding the right group of people and going what works for you and the animal.
^^ all of this. Even irl, when I'm at a trade show, I get so much unsolicited advice when someone hears me ask a question about my xyz animal. Or when someone else is asking me a question about xyz animal. Most of the advice doesn't even address the question I initially had.

And I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a certain animal isn't arboreal, because all the care sheets say they aren't. While I take pictures of my non-arboreal animal climbing a tree. Hey, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, and maybe my particular species never got the memo that they were only supposed to be terrestrial, or only supposed to be 123.
__________________
2.5 BCIs, 1.1 BCAs, 1.1 tiger retics, 0.1 Burm, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Colombian rainbow boa

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
GyGbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2015
Location: Louisville
Posts: 516
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

I don't really feel like I have much say in this, but I've noticed a lot of close-minded people not only in the hobby, but the world in general. No one's really willing to listen to the other half or admit that they're wrong. Debate is pointless because no one's willing to say "Okay maybe you're right" or change what they're doing no matter what you say. Vanity is a cultural norm nowadays, and it's driving away at the extinction of intelligent debate. After all, someone's feelings might get hurt!
Tiny Boidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 07:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2017
Location: Northwestern Ohio
Posts: 181
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
I don't really feel like I have much say in this, but I've noticed a lot of close-minded people not only in the hobby, but the world in general. No one's really willing to listen to the other half or admit that they're wrong. Debate is pointless because no one's willing to say "Okay maybe you're right" or change what they're doing no matter what you say. Vanity is a cultural norm nowadays, and it's driving away at the extinction of intelligent debate. After all, someone's feelings might get hurt!
Lol, wouldn't want that. I absolutely love an intelligent debate though. Too many people let their emotions flare. It's unfortunate, because then it just turns into an argument.
__________________
1 Cali King, 1 bearded dragon, 1 Spotted Python, 1 BP, 1.0 JCP, 1 KSB, 1 Florida Banded Water Snake, 1.1 Western hognoses.
regi375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 11:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 744
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gygbeetle View Post
^^ all of this. Even irl, when i'm at a trade show, i get so much unsolicited advice when someone hears me ask a question about my xyz animal. Or when someone else is asking me a question about xyz animal. Most of the advice doesn't even address the question i initially had.

And i cannot tell you how many times i've heard a certain animal isn't arboreal, because all the care sheets say they aren't. While i take pictures of my non-arboreal animal climbing a tree. Hey, i'm not trying to argue with anyone, and maybe my particular species never got the memo that they were only supposed to be terrestrial, or only supposed to be 123.
How dare you allow your terrestrial animal to climb higher than 12 inches!!!!!!!

Terrestrial snake: Gopher snake, there is literally an episode of planet earth where a gopher snake scales a shear cliff to try and get baby birds. Totally terrestrial.
jjhill001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 07:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,983
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
How dare you allow your terrestrial animal to climb higher than 12 inches!!!!!!!

Terrestrial snake: Gopher snake, there is literally an episode of planet earth where a gopher snake scales a shear cliff to try and get baby birds. Totally terrestrial.
...terrestrial snakes will still climb to get food, but if course I get what you're saying and agree.
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-21-17, 09:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
MesoCorney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 839
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

I am all for intelligent discussion and i tend to agree the old guard can be hard headed. Let's be honest often their methods are functional or they wouldn't have been in the hobby for so long. On the flip side I often see new recruits injecting some opinion that they have not tested themselves as fact. To be honest this is far more dangerous than the functional advice of the experienced members of the hobby. For example I am part of a facebook bioactive reptile group that is vehemently against racks for ball pythons, but from what I can tell the people that post this stuff either own a couple ball pythons or even none at all. They often use a study that found ball pythons can be found it trees, but if you read the the study even they admit this is a small subset if the population and really only includes juvenile males. I am all for pushing the hobby forward but be sure to introduce your information for what it is, untested ideas not fact. Also please provide the sources you used to form said ideas, so that it can properly be discussed.
__________________
R.A.D. house
MesoCorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 09:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,983
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
I am all for intelligent discussion and i tend to agree the old guard can be hard headed. Let's be honest often their methods are functional or they wouldn't have been in the hobby for so long. On the flip side I often see new recruits injecting some opinion that they have not tested themselves as fact. To be honest this is far more dangerous than the functional advice of the experienced members of the hobby. For example I am part of a facebook bioactive reptile group that is vehemently against racks for ball pythons, but from what I can tell the people that post this stuff either own a couple ball pythons or even none at all. They often use a study that found ball pythons can be found it trees, but if you read the the study even they admit this is a small subset if the population and really only includes juvenile males. I am all for pushing the hobby forward but be sure to introduce your information for what it is, untested ideas not fact. Also please provide the sources you used to form said ideas, so that it can properly be discussed.
I agree with this! "I own 1 xx and I disagree with everything and everyone that came before me" is NOT enough to form a new or well informed method of keeping to pass on to others.

Last edited by Andy_G; 04-21-17 at 10:10 AM..
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 744
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

People can combine theories and methodologies of care. If you go with a slightly larger than standard tubs you can actually run bio-active in them. I've never done it personally but I remember reading about it. For example I keep my snakes a little cooler than some people. I think 90 is way too hot for many snakes for a hotspot. My ambients are much more important to me and my snakes.

Some people literally freak when I say I don't really have that hot of a hotspot. I've found that this produces fewer shed problems and less reliance on overly high humidity. Now I make this work for me personally based on my house temps and climate I live in. Some people need that high hot spot just to keep their ambient temps within reason.
jjhill001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,064
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
People can combine theories and methodologies of care. If you go with a slightly larger than standard tubs you can actually run bio-active in them. I've never done it personally but I remember reading about it. For example I keep my snakes a little cooler than some people. I think 90 is way too hot for many snakes for a hotspot. My ambients are much more important to me and my snakes.

Some people literally freak when I say I don't really have that hot of a hotspot. I've found that this produces fewer shed problems and less reliance on overly high humidity. Now I make this work for me personally based on my house temps and climate I live in. Some people need that high hot spot just to keep their ambient temps within reason.
A proper hot spot is essential to allow for proper digestion of food and is somewhat species specific. There's European species that require much cooler hot spots and ambient temperatures than say a sub Saharan or Australian snake.

Often times a snake will only use the hotspot whilst digesting preferring other areas of the enclosure the rest of the time so absolutely ambient temperatures and a proper temperature gradient are important but so is a proper hot basking area.

If corns are local to you and you see one in the wild basking in a nice warm spot, grab your temperature gun and measure the temp and that'll give you a good idea what to aim for.

Of course temperature fluctuates through the season and day to night and I cycle my temperatures accordingly also.
__________________
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you do not know why. Often these happen together, nothing works and nobody knows why. - Arihato
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 09:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,983
Country:
Re: What happened to discussion/debate in the reptile community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
People can combine theories and methodologies of care. If you go with a slightly larger than standard tubs you can actually run bio-active in them. I've never done it personally but I remember reading about it. For example I keep my snakes a little cooler than some people. I think 90 is way too hot for many snakes for a hotspot. My ambients are much more important to me and my snakes.

Some people literally freak when I say I don't really have that hot of a hotspot. I've found that this produces fewer shed problems and less reliance on overly high humidity. Now I make this work for me personally based on my house temps and climate I live in. Some people need that high hot spot just to keep their ambient temps within reason.
I've actually found the opposite with a lot of species in regards to basking temps...but if it works for you then that's that!
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0