border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like scaleless snakes?
Yes 2 6.45%
No 29 93.55%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-17, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
sattva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2016
Location: Sacramento
Age: 66
Posts: 769
Country:
Do you like scaleless snakes?

I have been wanting a Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes... Not that my wife will ever let me have one, but I came across this snake on kingsnake...

Albino Scaleless Crotalus atrox
http://market.kingsnake.com/image/1661857.jpg

I am not a big fan of scaleless snakes... I think their ugly!
__________________
George- 1.0 Purple Albino Reticulated Python... Cornella- 0.1 Pink Phase Corn Snake?
Moe- 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python... Fred- 1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake...
Crystal- 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python... A cross between a Mojave to Lesser...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
sattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-17-17, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,446
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Simple answer is no.
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,872
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Also a no.
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Tsubaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan-2014
Posts: 4,184
Country:
Send a message via Skype™ to Tsubaki
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Definetly no
__________________
Aho ni toriau baka!- Baka wa shinanakya naoranai...
Tsubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
MesoCorney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 794
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

To me something as important to the evolution of a group of animals is something that should not be messed with. Colors and such that have no effect on the animal in captivity do not bother me, but scales on snakes are a must for me.
__________________
R.A.D. house
MesoCorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-17-17, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 99
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Nope, it's unnatural and doesn't even look good. Same with silkie Beardies. It's just unnatural.
__________________
0.1 Beardie "Skipper"
Skipper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 144
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

I agree with most that find them unappealing, but am curious about those who site the unnaturalness and evolution. The same could certainly be said about many different color morphs (at least in terms of survivability in a natural setting). I assume these scale-less snakes survive and reproduce in captivity. Do these animals suffer from any known issues that result from their lack of scales or is it just a matter of reaching some tipping point of difference from what a normal snake is supposed to look like? I promise I am not trying to start anything, I just have never heard of these before and am genuinely curious.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2003
Location: California
Age: 35
Posts: 307
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
I agree with most that find them unappealing, but am curious about those who site the unnaturalness and evolution. The same could certainly be said about many different color morphs (at least in terms of survivability in a natural setting). I assume these scale-less snakes survive and reproduce in captivity. Do these animals suffer from any known issues that result from their lack of scales or is it just a matter of reaching some tipping point of difference from what a normal snake is supposed to look like? I promise I am not trying to start anything, I just have never heard of these before and am genuinely curious.
I'm also curious about this too. I mean how is it any different than how we mutate (aka breed) dogs (short, smashed faces that do cause health issues)?

I don't care either way about scaleless snakes. I might just like stirring the pot haha
Magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
eminart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May-2014
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 935
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

No.

Scales are one of the cool traits of reptiles.
__________________
...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators. -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
eminart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,925
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Short answer no

Slightly longer answer I'm generally disgusted with how we manipulate the physical characteristics of animals to suit our own desires. There is no functional reason to make a scaleless snake other then human desire just like as previously mentioned all the things we've done to dogs. We take something that works well and then change it because we don't like how it looks. Taken animals that natural evolution has molded into amazing machines and now it's a fashion accessory. I have yet to hear how we have actually improved an animal beyond what natural evolution has done.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 California Kingsnake (Yzma) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-17-17, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,872
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
I agree with most that find them unappealing, but am curious about those who site the unnaturalness and evolution. The same could certainly be said about many different color morphs (at least in terms of survivability in a natural setting). I assume these scale-less snakes survive and reproduce in captivity. Do these animals suffer from any known issues that result from their lack of scales or is it just a matter of reaching some tipping point of difference from what a normal snake is supposed to look like? I promise I am not trying to start anything, I just have never heard of these before and am genuinely curious.
Simple colouration mutations (morphs) versus structural mutations (disfigurations). Not one in the same to me. Not everyone will agree of course...i'm against jags and spiders too but I am outnumbered there! To me it's like purposely breeding for kinks. There have been issues with some lines of scaleless (strange growths, skin issues of all kinds) but I am uncertain how common they are. I could just be old school and just uncertain of the unknown, and maybe my opinion will change, but for now and for the forseeable future...no thank you.
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 144
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

A lot of the discussions on here involve topics I'm unable to say much about because of my inexperience with keeping snakes as pets, but I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's perspective about this. It's funny, from a personal perspective I get and agree with the sentiment regarding these scale-less snakes and other trait manipulated animals we (humans) keep as pets. However, whether we consider an animal "improved" from an evolutionary perspective is entirely dependent on how it performs in the environment in which it lives. Natural selection (or artificial selection if you believe human directed selection should not be considered the same) doesn't really care about physical, physiological or other health problems associated with traits so long as the trait increases the possibility of the individual with that trait contributing to future offspring. So in the context of the pet trade, if people like a certain trait and breeders can make money by breeding individuals with that trait, evolution has done it's job and (in the environment produced by the human pet trade) has improved the "design" of that animal. Of course that improvement only exists within the pet trade environment and as long as there is demand. Most of those changes would perform extremely poorly in a more "wild" environment (including a lot of color morphs in snakes). Now you could argue against selecting for a trait that increases the possibility of suffering in an individual animal possessing that trait on ethical grounds. I could definitely get behind a view that breeding a trait that increases the possibility of an animal suffering is unethical, but that ship is sailed. As Magdalen has pointed out, there are many breeds of dogs that may suffer from the traits we've selected for, but people want them anyway, including members of my family, despite me trying to persuade them otherwise.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,925
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
A lot of the discussions on here involve topics I'm unable to say much about because of my inexperience with keeping snakes as pets, but I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's perspective about this. It's funny, from a personal perspective I get and agree with the sentiment regarding these scale-less snakes and other trait manipulated animals we (humans) keep as pets. However, whether we consider an animal "improved" from an evolutionary perspective is entirely dependent on how it performs in the environment in which it lives. Natural selection (or artificial selection if you believe human directed selection should not be considered the same) doesn't really care about physical, physiological or other health problems associated with traits so long as the trait increases the possibility of the individual with that trait contributing to future offspring. So in the context of the pet trade, if people like a certain trait and breeders can make money by breeding individuals with that trait, evolution has done it's job and (in the environment produced by the human pet trade) has improved the "design" of that animal. Of course that improvement only exists within the pet trade environment and as long as there is demand. Most of those changes would perform extremely poorly in a more "wild" environment (including a lot of color morphs in snakes). Now you could argue against selecting for a trait that increases the possibility of suffering in an individual animal possessing that trait on ethical grounds. I could definitely get behind a view that breeding a trait that increases the possibility of an animal suffering is unethical, but that ship is sailed. As Magdalen has pointed out, there are many breeds of dogs that may suffer from the traits we've selected for, but people want them anyway, including members of my family, despite me trying to persuade them otherwise.
Dogs are the example of our worst work period. Even within certain breeds we've taken it beyond to ruin. Top of mind is a St Bernard, once a proud working dog now doesn't have the breathing or cardiovascular to do the job it used to excel at or even moderate exercise.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 California Kingsnake (Yzma) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 144
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Dogs are the example of our worst work period. Even within certain breeds we've taken it beyond to ruin. Top of mind is a St Bernard, once a proud working dog now doesn't have the breathing or cardiovascular to do the job it used to excel at or even moderate exercise.
I hadn't heard about this. Is this the result of inbreeding, selecting for some deleterious trait, lazy breeding practices, or something else?
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,925
Country:
Re: Do you like scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
I hadn't heard about this. Is this the result of inbreeding, selecting for some deleterious trait, lazy breeding practices, or something else?
I haven't done the research but my guess is inbreeding to achieve appearance goals above all else. Ruined a few breeds like that, they are one that comes to mind.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 California Kingsnake (Yzma) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0