Old 03-13-17, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

retic feeding schedule

alright, so how does this sound?

she is 5-6ft right now

5-6ft feeding on 1 medium rat every 10 days

8-9ft 1 large or jumbo rat every 14 days

10-13ft 2 jumbo rats every 3 weeks

15-17ft 1 big rabbit once a month.
[0.1 normal reticulated python] [0.1 american toad] [0.1 leopard gecko][1.0 corn snake][1.0 checkered garter snake][0.1 apricot pueblan milk snake] [0.1 pony] [26 hens] [5 roosters] [2.0 cattle] [2.2 geese] [0.1 dogs] [2.3 cats] [5.9 goats] [1.2 ducks] [0.2 hamsters]
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-17, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: retic feeding schedule

Looks pretty good to me but I'm on my first retic also... So what do I know!
My guy is about 6 feet now and I give him a medium rat every 7 days...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 03-13-17, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattva View Post
how big are the medium rats you're feeding him.
[0.1 normal reticulated python] [0.1 american toad] [0.1 leopard gecko][1.0 corn snake][1.0 checkered garter snake][0.1 apricot pueblan milk snake] [0.1 pony] [26 hens] [5 roosters] [2.0 cattle] [2.2 geese] [0.1 dogs] [2.3 cats] [5.9 goats] [1.2 ducks] [0.2 hamsters]
Old 03-13-17, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Their a pretty big medium... I don't have a scale, so I don't know the weight...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 03-13-17, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Their a pretty big medium... I don't have a scale, so I don't know the weight...
Yeah mine are too. i buy from rodentpro and the medium are big. Do you think 1 medium rat every 10 days is to long or is it fine?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-17, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

Quote:
I feed my retics the same; medium rat every week. They're both about 6 feet long, not yet a year. I buy from Perfect Prey, and the mediums are a pretty good size.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-13-17, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGbeetle View Post
I feed my retics the same; medium rat every week. They're both about 6 feet long, not yet a year. I buy from Perfect Prey, and the mediums are a pretty good size.
Do you think 1 medium rat every 10 days is fine?
Old 03-13-17, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

I'm sure your snake will do well on that feeding regiment. Those sound like good sized meals and feeding frequencies for a snake that large even though I feed prey items based more on the weight and girth of the snake than it's length. Most of the medium rats I get from Perfect Prey are 100-150g each. I'm sure your retic can eat a medium if not a large rat every 7-10 days. The smaller the meal the sooner they eat, the larger the meal the longer they wait to eat again.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)
Old 03-13-17, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay's reptiles View Post
Yeah mine are too. i buy from rodentpro and the medium are big. Do you think 1 medium rat every 10 days is to long or is it fine?
That's where mine come from also, so their probably the same.... As long as she does not look underweight you're probably fine... Try pinching her on the back... If you come up with a full pinch of skin then she's underweight...
Old 03-13-17, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 4lb rabbit dethawing for my 10-11ft girl right now. Probably won't feed her for 3 weeks or so maybe after this meal. If she was getting rats it would probably need to be weekly since they wouldn't hold her over at all.

My 6ft girl gets large rats every 10-14 days. The boy that's slightly smaller than her gets medium-large rat every 14 days. The other 3 smaller ones are on small rats every 10-14 days.
4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 0.1 Black Milk, 1.2 Corns, 1.3 Ball Python, 1.1 Tarahumara Boa, 3.7 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 4.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-17, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds good to me, but I'd try to at least do a rabbit every other feeding than multiple adult rats. I'd do rabbits every meal once a single rat was too small myself, but that depends on what you've got available.

My 8' girl is taking colossal rats or 1/2-1 lb rabbits every 2-3 weeks, she didn't start on larges until she was 5.5'-6' and I put her back on a 2 week schedule when she started on larges. This has kept her nice and lean without being underweight, and her growth is about the same as it's always been.

I vary the rabbit sizes with her because too many of the 1 lb rabbits gets her lazy about taking her food, so I mix it up with rats and smaller rabbits to try to keep her appetite up. She has an unusually low feeding response for a retic, though, so you may not have to do that with your's when it gets to her size.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
Closed Thread