border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-17, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May-2017
Posts: 1
Country:
Where To Get Mice?

Should I get mice online? Pet store? What is the best deal? I do not yet have a snake, but I am thinking to get a ball python or corn snake. Which would you guys recommend?
SnakeCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-30-17, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 978
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

Very expensive to go to the pet store, 2-3x what you'd pay ordering bulk.

I've used Layne Labs but I think I'm switching to Perfect Prey due to prices and the looks of the feeder packaging, how healthy the feeders look, etc.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.5 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
ThirteenRavens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb-2016
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 228
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

Quote:
Very expensive to go to the pet store
This is true...I have 8 snakes now and spend quite a bit on mice/rats for them from PetSmart. I have ordered from LayneLabs before and it was great. The mice were good quality, shipped promptly and packaged really well, still frozen solid when they arrived.

I haven't used Perfect Prey yet but may check them out in the future.
__________________
2.1 Canis familiaris 2.0 Felis catus 2.0 Python regius 1.2 Pantherophis guttatus 1.0 Heterodon nasicus 0.1 Charina bottae 1.0 Hypo Hog Island boa
ThirteenRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 978
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

Perfect Prey uses some interesting packing methods, a lot of non-biodegradable waste, though Layne Labs uses Styrofoam, but they're also closer to me since I live on the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenRavens View Post
This is true...I have 8 snakes now and spend quite a bit on mice/rats for them from PetSmart. I have ordered from LayneLabs before and it was great. The mice were good quality, shipped promptly and packaged really well, still frozen solid when they arrived.

I haven't used Perfect Prey yet but may check them out in the future.
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.5 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
ThirteenRavens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb-2016
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 228
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

I would re-use the coolers when I got them, either to ship other frozen stuff out or to go camping with. Being over here in the Pac NW, LayneLabs is closer to me.
__________________
2.1 Canis familiaris 2.0 Felis catus 2.0 Python regius 1.2 Pantherophis guttatus 1.0 Heterodon nasicus 0.1 Charina bottae 1.0 Hypo Hog Island boa
ThirteenRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-31-17, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
sattva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2016
Location: Sacramento
Age: 66
Posts: 782
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

I've been using Rodent Pro... Which I know isn't the preferred supplier here... But they've been good to me... My first order was about $130.oo and it was perfect... I got my second order a few weeks ago, a $160.oo order, and one bag of medium size rats were yellow from urine... They gave me my choice of my money back or a $20.oo credit... I took the credit and the urine doesn't seem to slow my guys down, So I really made out on that ... I might switch to Perfect Prey after I use up my credit so I can have a comparison...
__________________
George- 1.0 Purple Albino Reticulated Python... Cornella- 0.1 Pink Phase Corn Snake?
Moe- 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python... Fred- 1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake...
Crystal- 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python... A cross between a Mojave to Lesser...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
sattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Age: 58
Posts: 978
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

Being as where you are, I'd probably go with Layne Labs to save on shipping...Perfect Prey is on the east coast, Layne is in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattva View Post
I've been using Rodent Pro... Which I know isn't the preferred supplier here... But they've been good to me... My first order was about $130.oo and it was perfect... I got my second order a few weeks ago, a $160.oo order, and one bag of medium size rats were yellow from urine... They gave me my choice of my money back or a $20.oo credit... I took the credit and the urine doesn't seem to slow my guys down, So I really made out on that ... I might switch to Perfect Prey after I use up my credit so I can have a comparison...
__________________
1.2.4 Boidae | 1.3.8 Colubridae | 0.0.2 Dipsadidae | 0.0.5 Pythonidae |3.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris | 1.0.0 Homo Sapiens Sapiens Stultus
Scubadiver59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
sattva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2016
Location: Sacramento
Age: 66
Posts: 782
Country:
Re: Where To Get Mice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Being as where you are, I'd probably go with Layne Labs to save on shipping...Perfect Prey is on the east coast, Layne is in CA.
Ya know that's what I thought too, but they wanted almost twice as much as Rodent Pro... Go figure!
__________________
George- 1.0 Purple Albino Reticulated Python... Cornella- 0.1 Pink Phase Corn Snake?
Moe- 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python... Fred- 1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Snake...
Crystal- 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python... A cross between a Mojave to Lesser...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
sattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0