border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-17, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
First snake of the season

With things warming up, I've been out searching the past couple of weeks for any signs of our legless friends with no luck. Finally, yesterday I was able to find this guy/gal enjoying the sun on a hillside.




In addition, I have a goal of seeing either or both of a prairie and/or speckled kingsnake, both of which are considered "locally abundant" in my area (though I've never seen one). Anybody have any tips on where to find them? For reference, I have easy access to both heavily wooded and grassland areas, both hilly or flat. Thanks.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-03-17, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2016
Location: Carl junction
Posts: 379
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

very cool dude. i went herping last weekend. i caught 3 dekays brown snake, 4 pacific ringneck snake, 7 common garter snakes, 3 plains garter snakes, 4 five lined skink.
__________________
[0.1 normal reticulated python] [0.1 american toad] [0.1 leopard gecko] [1.0 five lined skink] [1.0 checkered garter snake] [0.0.1 gray tree frog]
[0.1 apricot pueblan milk snake] [0.1 pony] [26 hens] [5 roosters] [2.0 cattle] [2.2 geese] [0.2 dogs] [2.3 cats] [5.9 goats] [1.3 ducks] [2.6 hamsters]
jay's reptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
very cool dude. i went herping last weekend. i caught 3 dekays brown snake, 4 pacific ringneck snake, 7 common garter snakes, 3 plains garter snakes, 4 five lined skink.
Dang! You obviously are much better at this than I. This 1 snake was the result of hours of searching under every log and piece of cover I could find. Teach me master, haha.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2016
Location: Carl junction
Posts: 379
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Dang! You obviously are much better at this than I. This 1 snake was the result of hours of searching under every log and piece of cover I could find. Teach me master, haha.
a
what i do is, i lay about 7 pieces of tin down in my field and.... BAM you have snakes lol. i also try to sneak onto abandon land with a house that have been run down and doesn't have anyone living in it. great place for snakes.
__________________
[0.1 normal reticulated python] [0.1 american toad] [0.1 leopard gecko] [1.0 five lined skink] [1.0 checkered garter snake] [0.0.1 gray tree frog]
[0.1 apricot pueblan milk snake] [0.1 pony] [26 hens] [5 roosters] [2.0 cattle] [2.2 geese] [0.2 dogs] [2.3 cats] [5.9 goats] [1.3 ducks] [2.6 hamsters]
jay's reptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
GyGbeetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Location: AZ
Age: 43
Posts: 558
Country:
Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle
Re: First snake of the season

I went out for a hike, and all I got was some bugs flying around my face And I live in Arizona, where the herps are supposed to be in abundance.
__________________
2.5 BCIs, 1.1 BCAs, 1.1 tiger retics, 0.1 Burm, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Colombian rainbow boa

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
GyGbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-03-17, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
what i do is, i lay about 7 pieces of tin down in my field and.... BAM you have snakes lol.
Excellent. I just put out some tin in a field next to my house yesterday. We'll see if it produces anything in the future.

Quote:
I went out for a hike, and all I got was some bugs flying around my face And I live in Arizona, where the herps are supposed to be in abundance.
I hear you. Similar experience until yesterday. The whole time I was thinking, "come on, if the bugs are out, surely the snakes have got to be around too". haha.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
FWK
Member
 
FWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2014
Location: Victoria, TX
Age: 32
Posts: 753
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Handsome Midlands Rat Snake (Pantherophis spiloides) you have there, nice find. I'm assuming the location is Illinois, correct me if I'm wrong. Prairie Kings have their name for a reason, their preferred habitat is prairie grasslands. The best place to find them is along the edge of a field, where it borders a forest or other habitat. Any sort of cover in the edge habitat can produce Prairie Kings, tin, boards, rocks, logs, etc. Speckled Kings are partial to water, particularly swampy areas. Look for edge habitat between a swampy area and a wooded area, Speckled Kingsnake heaven.
__________________
Science. It reduces the stupid.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Handsome Midlands Rat Snake (Pantherophis spiloides) you have there, nice find. I'm assuming the location is Illinois, correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks, and you are correct, Illinois (southern part of the state)

Quote:
Prairie Kings have their name for a reason, their preferred habitat is prairie grasslands. The best place to find them is along the edge of a field, where it borders a forest or other habitat. Any sort of cover in the edge habitat can produce Prairie Kings, tin, boards, rocks, logs, etc.
Some of the tin I just laid down is in the habitat you describe here, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Speckled Kings are partial to water, particularly swampy areas. Look for edge habitat between a swampy area and a wooded area, Speckled Kingsnake heaven.
I have some area's in mind that meet this criteria as well. One is a swampy/wet area where a small stream has a braided channel that runs through a forested area, so mostly covered by canopy. The second is more of an pen area with shallow water with grasses at the edge and then forest further away from the edge. Would one of these be a better area to search than the other? Appreciate the advice!
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
FWK
Member
 
FWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2014
Location: Victoria, TX
Age: 32
Posts: 753
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
I have some area's in mind that meet this criteria as well. One is a swampy/wet area where a small stream has a braided channel that runs through a forested area, so mostly covered by canopy. The second is more of an pen area with shallow water with grasses at the edge and then forest further away from the edge. Would one of these be a better area to search than the other? Appreciate the advice!
Both sound promising to me.
__________________
Science. It reduces the stupid.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
SWDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul-2012
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 1,084
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Nice find!
__________________
Dave
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
SWDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-04-17, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 1,579
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quite jealous of the wild reptiles you guys have. Here in north England I have seen some tiny lizards once. That's it!

I keep trying to find a grass snake (Natrix natrix) but it has this far eluded me.

A little further south you may if your lucky stumble across an adder.

Other than that (oh and the slow worm-type of legless lizard) that's it in the UK.
__________________
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you do not know why. Often these happen together, nothing works and nobody knows why. - Arihato
dannybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Quite jealous of the wild reptiles you guys have. Here in north England I have seen some tiny lizards once. That's it!

I keep trying to find a grass snake (Natrix natrix) but it has this far eluded me.

A little further south you may if your lucky stumble across an adder.

Other than that (oh and the slow worm-type of legless lizard) that's it in the UK.
It's all about trade-offs. As someone who hates hot weather, come June I would gladly give up seeing any herps to live somewhere where I don't have to start sweating the moment I open my door. haha.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 07:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 489
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
It's all about trade-offs. As someone who hates hot weather, come June I would gladly give up seeing any herps to live somewhere where I don't have to start sweating the moment I open my door. haha.
You'd hate southern Louisiana then lol. I was sweating this past December. I don't mind though, I actually really enjoy hot weather, which is fitting because it means I can herp year-round. And nice find!
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb-2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 139
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
You'd hate southern Louisiana then lol. I was sweating this past December.
Yep, that sounds awful! Give my -20 over 90 any day . It does give you a lot more opportunity to see herps. I'm ok with looking at pictures, lol.
whistlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 489
Country:
Re: First snake of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Yep, that sounds awful! Give my -20 over 90 any day . It does give you a lot more opportunity to see herps. I'm ok with looking at pictures, lol.
Herping aside, I still love the heat. If I could have it to where it never got below 65, that would be fantastic. I love a good sunny, humid 85 degree day lol.
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0