border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-14, 10:49 AM   #61 (permalink)
FWK

Re: FW's backyard herping adventures (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngPanday View Post
Nice shot :-)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Seeing all this makes me miss Florida! Tennessee doesn't have half the awesome wildlife ;-;
I bet Florida was amazing, to spend a summer in the Everglades is definitely on my bucket list. I'm sure there is still a lot to see in Tennessee though.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 12:58 PM   #62 (permalink)

Some great snake and amazing shots Last summer was my first time out and I had a ton of fun managed to find 2 Queen snakes and 2 Water snakes in a 10 foot section of riverbank at the local swimming hole. Plan on going majorly this spring and summer and trying to find all the 21 species in my state. Around here water snakes are common found 14 just walking through the park in a one day before but some species are elusive and very hard to come by.
SnakeSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 10:19 PM   #63 (permalink)
FWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSavvy View Post
Some great snake and amazing shots Last summer was my first time out and I had a ton of fun managed to find 2 Queen snakes and 2 Water snakes in a 10 foot section of riverbank at the local swimming hole. Plan on going majorly this spring and summer and trying to find all the 21 species in my state. Around here water snakes are common found 14 just walking through the park in a one day before but some species are elusive and very hard to come by.
Queens! Very cool. Queen Snakes not to distant cousins, Graham's Crayfish Snakes, are said to be found a few counties to the east of my stomping grounds but I've never come across a Regina sp. in its natural setting. Just one of many on my life list I hope to check off one day. Best of luck on your mission this year, be sure to post lots of pictures.
Old 01-27-15, 11:14 PM   #64 (permalink)

They are very interesting I caught this one and took it home for a day then took it back after taking some pics and learning a bit about it. This is how I found it though in brush alongside a riverbank. Never had any aggression only tried to run and emitted musk when picked up.

This is it's mate

Another
Old 01-28-15, 06:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
FWK

Quote:
They are very interesting I caught this one and took it home for a day then took it back after taking some pics and learning a bit about it. This is how I found it though in brush alongside a riverbank. Never had any aggression only tried to run and emitted musk when picked up.
Bravo! You should definitely put together a field herping thread.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-15, 07:55 PM   #66 (permalink)

Its amazing that you have all this in your backyard. I could go herping all summer here in Canada and not see half as much.
reptiledude987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 09:59 PM   #67 (permalink)

I plan on going herping state by state trying to find each species to get photos for my website and video for my new youtube channel (this is from the old one) soon enough starting this summer with my home state then branching out a bit to neighboring ones.

note the fireplace tongs were for holding the camera not handling the snakes didn't want to get to close until I knew what it was lol This one is there every evening between the sun warmed rocks at sunset and i've sat there many times leaning against that rock without ever noticing him until I was actually looking for him. Nothing more than a common water snake but still I showed my wife a few days later stuck my finger under the rock and he popped his head out and she ran screaming lol

Interestingly enough she screamed for me one night in the house from the tub and I came in to find her freaking out and a black rat snake on the front of the tub I started laughing and she got really mad demanding to know what was funny. I told her it wasn't venomous and she told me she'd kill me if I didn't get it away from her so I tried to grab it and it slithered down into the wall. Now she is a bit upset and always on the look out in the tub lmao

Last edited by SnakeSavvy; 01-28-15 at 10:07 PM..
Old 02-10-15, 01:19 PM   #68 (permalink)

What an amazing thread! You are very lucky to live where you do.

I love Scotland, but we are species poor here. We have one species of native frog, one toad, three newts, two lizards and one snake.

What's worse is that it's a bloody mission to find them!!
dandavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 01:19 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandavis View Post
What an amazing thread! You are very lucky to live where you do.

I love Scotland, but we are species poor here. We have one species of native frog, one toad, three newts, two lizards and one snake.

What's worse is that it's a bloody mission to find them!!
I know some areas are snake poor it could be worse though you could live in Alaska or Ireland

My reptile top site list Snake Savvy Top Sites
Old 02-11-15, 03:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
I know some areas are snake poor it could be worse though you could live in Alaska or Ireland
You're not wrong!
dandavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 02-22-15, 06:51 PM   #71 (permalink)
FWK

2015!

So it is the start of the herp season in South Texas 2015! It has been a mild winter here, even by South Texas standards. I'm hoping we're in for a mild summer as well, I really hate the heat of South Texas summers. The official start of Spring is still a month away but I can hardly wait. It promises to be a good spring, we've been getting a good bit of rain over the last few months. The local songbirds have already started nesting and the migratory birds are restless. The first of the flying insects are emerging and the Orb Weavers are spinning their first webs accordingly. And the first herp I've had the opportunity to photograph this year is one I haven't posted here before. Rough Earth Snakes are very common finds out behind the shop where I work but for some reason don't seem to exist in my backyard, just some twelve miles away by road. This little guy was flipped under a board at work yesterday (2/21/15). Hopefully I'll be able to do quite a bit more work with these endearing little insectivores this year.

P.S. I am currently accepting donations so I can replace my little PowerShot SX510 HS with something a bit better suited for this sort of thing, maybe something I can actually swap lenses and flashes out on
Old 02-22-15, 07:41 PM   #72 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Love that rich earthy redbrown color!

I stopped counting at 30....
Minkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 02:58 PM   #73 (permalink)

I wish it would hurry up and get warm here in Kansas. My son really wants to go look for snakes this spring. Great thread BTW.
ks1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 05:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
FWK

The first day of spring 2015!

Spring is officially here! I don't have any new herp pictures to share just yet but I'm so excited about spring I had to post something so I'll tell y'all a little story about an experience I had while herping on a rainy Sunday afternoon a while back. Happy Spring!

On a rainy Sunday afternoon a flock of buzzards circle overhead as I find my way to the small clearing where the dark birds are congregating. A young deer lies among the wildflowers where life, for reasons I do not know, left it. I watch from a distance for a while as the birds feast. Jousting and jockeying for position the larger and stronger birds get the choice bits as the younger birds argue over their place in line behind them. Unsatisfied with my vantage point I slowly work my way towards the flock when one of the young buzzards spots me and the group takes flight on wings so strong each stroke creates an audible thump, a strange sort of percussion in rhythm with a great rustling of feathers. The birds rest in the surrounding trees as I find a better spot and make myself as inconspicuous as possible. I settle in and wait. And wait. I thought if I was still the birds would forget I was there and go about their business but they were not so easily fooled. Occasionally a bird would make a low pass and look at me hard only to return to the trees. The rain slowed and the twilight sun began to break through the clouds, bathing the clearing in its warm glow. One by one the buzzards took to the sky to find their roosts for the night and I decided to call it a day. As I stood up I suddenly noticed that, just inches front of me, two tiny flowers beamed up at me illuminated by the sunsets glow. Overlapping one another, almost as if competing for my attention, they stretched their delicate purple petals towards the sky. I had been so distracted by the grim scene unfolding in the rain in front of me I hardly noticed the new life all around me.
Old 03-20-15, 08:32 PM   #75 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Beautiful story!

I stopped counting at 30....
Minkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads