border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-14, 03:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
FWK

The baby Rough Green Snake project

Peering down at me from its perch well over my head.

Could easily be mistaken for a part of that plant.

Mustache!

Doing its best GTP impersonation.

In the limelight.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 03:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
FWK

The baby Rough Green Snake project

That speck of dust lol!

This is exactly why you don't play hide and seek with a snake. They cheat.

Tongue acrobatics.

This one is almost gold in color.

I saved the best for last. I can't decide which of these last two shots is my favorite. This shot has convinced me I need a camera with a remote flash. I often use a flashlight to fill in shots but naturally it is a different temperature than the flash so it is very hard to get right. This is one of the times it just came out beautifully.

There is a wonderful symmetry to this shot.
Old 11-17-14, 03:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
FWK

Baby Texas Rat Snakes

This was my first 2014 Texas Rat Snake. I spotted it by shinning a flashlight though my bedroom window into the bushes outside (yeah, I herp from inside my house quite a bit. And I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm nuts lol). I grabbed my camera and sprinted out the back door to catch the little guy. He grabbed ahold of my finger and tried to bite my nose so I took the opportunity to snap a shot of the tenacious little devil. But it was so warm and humid outside that my cameras lens fogged up and this rather ghostly image was the result.

I took him inside and tried to get a shot of him on a black background. I'd never tried this before and it only came out so-so. Definitely need more light.

One evening after getting home from work I decided to do some quick herping so I grabbed a flashlight and my camera and headed out the back door. And that's about as far as I got. As the door swung open I heard a little Plop! and looking down I saw this little guy. So he and I had a little photo session. When we were done I put him back on the side of the house close to the door and I'll be darn if not three feet on the other side of the door halfway up the side of the house there was another baby Texas Rat Snake, probably his sibling. I peeled him off the wall and put him on the same "set" for a few shots. If you look closely at this and the next few shots you should be able the tell the deference between the two. Look closely at the band across the eyes and the markings on the lips. I posted a shot of one of these two as a teaser earlier in the thread.

Those big brown eyes.
Old 11-17-14, 03:35 PM   #49 (permalink)
FWK

Texas Rat Snakes

The Texas Rat Snake finds picked up quite a bit in the second half of the year and this guy was one of my favorites on the year. He was probably about twelve feet up the tree when I first saw him. When I started standing on my tiptoes and holding the camera as high as I could in an attempt to get a shot of him he actually began to work his way down the tree to investigate the camera.

He slowly worked his way down to roughly six feet from the ground, tongue flicking furiously at the camera.

He stayed about six feet high moving from branch to branch, investigating the camera and I from many angles. Once he was satisfied the camera was not edible he headed back up the tree. Note the independently dilated pupils.

This is one of the best looking Texas Rats I've ever seen. It was young, probably no more than two or three years old, so its colors may fade a bit as it ages but wow. Very bright yellow, vibrant oranges, beautiful clean pattern, just a screamer. Perfect in every way. And I failed miserably to get a picture to really do it justice. Hopefully I'll get to see it again and maybe one day its offspring.
Old 11-17-14, 03:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
FWK

Schott's Whipsnakes

Schott's Whipsnake, In situ lol. It appeared to be napping on my back porch so I decided to leave it be and see what else was out and about in my yard. When I came back it was on the move so I grabbed it for a few shots.

This was not easy! I had a Schott's escape on me earlier in the year while trying to get a full body shot like this. The time it took my eyes to refocus on the snake after framing up a shot was all the time it took for the animal to vanish into thin air. They are astonishingly quick lol. I had another escape when I flipped it. I hesitated to grab it to be sure there wasn't anything else under the tin, it wouldn't have been the first time I've flipped multiple snakes under the same tin and grabbing a Schott's only to get tagged by a Rattler would be rather unpleasant. I blinked and the snake simply wasn't there any more lol.

Profile shot.

This is pretty cool, despite being fuzzy, because it was shot through my bedroom window. At first I thought it was the same snake I caught earlier in the year so I just watched it poke around the bushes for a while. I'm always worried that if I bother them to much they'll stop coming around. But after looking at the pictures I'm not so sure it's the same animal. Either way it was very cool to look out the window and see a big Schott's cruising through the shrubs.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-14, 03:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
FWK

Backyard herping wrap-up 2014

Gulf Coast Toad! These guys are very common in my part of the country but very rarely encountered on my property.

He insisted on checking out the flashlight I was using to put some light on the shot.

%$#@% Gray Treefrog! I not huge on amphibians in general but this was one of the most surprising and exciting finds of the year, I have never seen one on my property before. Hopefully I'll be seeing more of them.

She looks to be eyeballing that Wood Ant.
Old 11-17-14, 03:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
FWK

Green Anole sandwich?

Baby Green Anole sleeping on a leaf.

Juvie Texas Spiny Lizard sleeping on a twig.
Old 11-17-14, 03:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
FWK

This was the last shot I got of the baby vulture I posted about in the spring report. It is eight weeks old here and getting very good at hiding from me.
Old 11-17-14, 03:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Tsubaki
Re: FW's backyard herping adventures (pic heavy)

I need your backyard for reasons... I'm so jealous, awesome pictures!!!
Old 11-17-14, 03:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
FWK

The colors and sparkles on this tiny moth! One day I'll have a camera capable of taking awesome pictures of such tiny subjects.

More winged beauties.

The annual invasion of the giant Walking Sticks!

Land Planarian. Amazing critters, truly vicious predators.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-14, 03:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
FWK

Mimic Robber Fly eating what appears to be a small roach or beetle.

Among the most alien looking critters on the planet, the Praying Mantis.

A beautiful green Lynx Spider awaits its next meal.

Here is something interesting, this Green June Beetle is trying to mate with a female that has been captured by a Black and Yellow Garden Spider.

There were as many as a half dozen Green June Beetle buzzing around the captured female, knocking each other off the female and even showing aggression towards the camera.

The Black and Yellow Garden Spider that set the stage enjoying her meal.
Old 11-17-14, 03:53 PM   #57 (permalink)
FWK

Fall 2014

That about wraps up my 2014 backyard herping adventures, a pretty good year overall. Here's to an even better 2015. Happy Holidays.
Old 11-17-14, 04:19 PM   #58 (permalink)

Awesome critters and shots! Thanks for sharing!!! Loved the green snakes!

Steve
sharthun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 10:15 PM   #59 (permalink)

Nice shot :-)
AngPanday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 12:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Seeing all this makes me miss Florida! Tennessee doesn't have half the awesome wildlife ;-;
Minkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads