border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-14, 09:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
FWK

September is here!

The searing heat and slow herping of July and August is finally over and baby herp season is in full swing! September in my backyard always means lots of tiny scaly critters about but this year I've had a rather unique opportunity to work closely with quite a few hatchling Rough Green Snakes as they begin the dangerous and unpredictable journey that is life. I'll be putting together a whole series of pictures on the little guys when the herping season is done. Stay tuned!
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 09:31 AM   #32 (permalink)

Re: September is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post

The searing heat and slow herping of July and August is finally over and baby herp season is in full swing! September in my backyard always means lots of tiny scaly critters about but this year I've had a rather unique opportunity to work closely with quite a few hatchling Rough Green Snakes as they begin the dangerous and unpredictable journey that is life. I'll be putting together a whole series of pictures on the little guys when the herping season is done. Stay tuned!
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Steve
sharthun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 05:47 AM   #33 (permalink)

Re: FW's backyard herping adventures (pic heavy)

So many awesome pictures, I would have a field day in a place like that. lol
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 06:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
Captain America

Wow some amazing photo's
Old 09-09-14, 07:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfreak View Post
Wow some amazing photo's
^^^^^
what he said

wow mate just wow.....!!!

you have some amazing wildlife in your back yard,the Black Widows would scare the crap out me though

many thanks for sharing

cheers shaun
Old 09-23-14, 05:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
FWK

Official first day of Fall!

To celebrate the official first day of Fall here is a brand new baby Texas Rat Snake! I'll have more on these little ones later on as well. I wish I could figure out how to share this in its full size and definition. I've got it set as my wallpaper right now, the little guy just jumps out of the frame.
Old 09-23-14, 06:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Re: Official first day of Fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post

To celebrate the official first day of Fall here is a brand new baby Texas Rat Snake! I'll have more on these little ones later on as well. I wish I could figure out how to share this in its full size and definition. I've got it set as my wallpaper right now, the little guy just jumps out of the frame.
Awesome snake and shot FWK!

Steve
sharthun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 07:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Holy crap this is amazing. I'm super jealous of all the herps you get to see. Not much variety up here in Canada.
Little Wise Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 09:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

Holy shiet thats some amazing stuff there, I'm wicked jealous!!
Akuma223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 03:09 PM   #40 (permalink)
FWK

Fall 2014

Well sadly my 2014 herping year is just about over but fortunately the off season is pretty short down here in south Texas, the first finds of the 2015 season are just a few months away. I fell short of a few goals but overall my first year with a camera turned out alright. A lot of pictures coming over the next posts including a couple projects with hatchling snakes I put a lot of time into. First up are a few finds from exploring the local lakes and river in the kayak. Hope ya'll enjoy.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-14, 03:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
FWK

The Lakes

The view from my kayak as the sun sets over my favorite local lake at the start of a night of moonlit Bass fishing. Well, I had every intention of fishing all night but then I saw a frog...

Juvie Bull Frog in situ.

This shot was taken from roughly eight feet away. Every shot I took of these guys (there were at least several dozen in this shallow cove) from any reasonable distance I got this weird reflection in the eyes.

Another juvie. There were a few adults around as well but they were very camera shy. They'd dive into the water if I came within twenty feet. I really wanted to get up close and personal with an adult, I'm always amazed by their sheer mass.

Green Tree Fog! I saw these in great numbers as a kid but these days they are hard to find around here. Those darn Mediterranean House Geckos are everywhere now.

A Red Eared Slider posing begrudgingly on the bow of my very yellow kayak.

That beautiful green eye.

I think this is a juvie Blanchard's Cricket Frog. It was flipped under that tire on the left there.
Old 11-17-14, 03:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
FWK

The River

The omnipresent and somewhat ominous Vultures.

Patrolling the shore. My poor camera struggling at max zoom lol.

A couple deer on the opposite bank.

Blue Clam shells, in situ, natural light.

A Water Scorpion prowling the algae congested shallows.

A freshly metamorphosed Dragonfly.
Old 11-17-14, 03:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
FWK

The River

More of what I think are Blanchard's Cricket Frogs. This little guy was singing his heart out perched high on his throne of a boulder.

I very nearly stepped on this one.

A prey item eludes its predator by resting on its predators very backside. Both are completely oblivious I'm sure.

A future frog hanging out with Pond Snails.
Old 11-17-14, 03:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
FWK

The River

My old friend, the Water Moccasin, peers over the rocks at my camera.

Showing me why it's commonly called a Cottonmouth.

This one took me by surprise. I was walking along the shore when I spotted a frog. I squatted down to get a couple shots of the frog and when I stood back up to walk further up the shore this Moccasin had slithered out of the brush just a few feet up the shore from me. We both froze momentarily, then I scolded it for sneaking up on me before snapping a shot. When I looked down at the camera to adjust the settings a bit it decided it had seen enough and spun around to disappear back into the brush.

Blotched Water Snake! These guys are much harder to find than Moccasins in my neck of the woods and much better at evading capture. If you let them get to the water they dive and vanish. Moccasins stay on top of the water and are easy to follow. At night when they can't see you Moccasins will often just swim out a ways in a lazy half circle and come right back to the shore.

Posed on the log. Note that it is missing the tip on its tail.

Newborn Blotched Water Snake! I had been herping all night with little luck so I decided to stop and eat, beaching my kayak about 2am on a little island in the middle of the river to stretch my legs. I walked a quick lap of the island and seeing nothing I went back to the kayak to grab my sandwich from the cooler. I stepped around in front of the kayak to rinse my hands off in the river when I saw this little one in the water. I immediately dropped my flashlight and dove into the water after the colorful little fellow, which was completely unnecessary as he was in only an inch or so of water. But this was the first neonate Blotched I had seen this year and no way was he getting away lol. I had very little luck in the Water Snake department this year despite many hours invested and a few all nighters in the kayak. After so many fruitless trips this little guy was a real treat.
Old 11-17-14, 03:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
FWK

The baby Rough Green Snake project

Near the end of July I found a new (to me) trash pile near my back fence line that had been hidden in a very large wild rose hedge thicket for at least a few years. It looked as though one of my neighbors did some remodeling and tossed their scrap over the fence. Under a few layers of drywall, plywood and tin I found an old half rotten tarp and as I pulled it up it suddenly ripped and these tiny little eggs scattered everywhere. There was no way I could reconstruct the tarp in a way I would feel confident they would be safe so I gathered them up and incubated them at about 80 degrees. There were three separate clutches, nineteen eggs candled good and one was a slug. I really wasn't sure exactly what they were at first and given the noticeable difference in size and shape of the three clutches I really thought there might be a chance there was at least a couple different species of snake. The most likely suspect was Rough Green Snakes but only time would tell. Six weeks later I came home to see the first of the little green critters pipping so outside we went to a spot I had prepared near where they were found.

A couple days later I came home to the second clutch hatching and outside we went again. I have the eggs marked now because when I took the first clutch out the eggs started to separate and I didn't want to accidentally set one down upside down.

You know I had to get hands on with the little ones at some point, they were so cute I could hardly stand it. They were eager to climb so before removing the eggs that were pipping or had yet to start I just put my hand over the tub and immediately all four that had already hatched came aboard.

This little one seemed to be in a hurry to get somewhere.

He made a beeline for some dead grass at the base of a bush and started to coil up under that red leaf...

And posed for one of the best photo-ops of the whole project.

Two more days later and the last clutch hatched. A total of nineteen Rough Green Snakes. I followed them as long as I could but they became increasingly difficult to find with each day that passed. Within a week I was lucky to find a two or three a day and even then I really had no way of knowing if I was seeing the ones I hatched or not. I spent a huge amount of time on it nonetheless and took hundreds of pictures, some of my favorites are next.
Login to remove ads