border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Erycines

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-17, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Posts: 37
Country:
How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

As the title says how often should one be feeding a baby KSB? Does the rate of feeding change as the grow?
acidonangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 11-29-17, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsnakegirl785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2011
Location: Waynesville
Age: 23
Posts: 3,691
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

I’d say 7 days is a good start. I’m not an expert on the species, but it takes snakes a minimum of 7-18 days to digest a meal. I personally don’t feed any snake eating mammals more often than 7 days. I normally feed baby boas every 7-14 days, but where I fall on the spectrum depends on the species’ metabolic/growth rate.

Average feeding for adult boids is every 2-3 weeks, so I’d assume that’s the same with KSBs. I might feed closer to 2 weeks since they’re small, but they’re also heavy bodied so 3 weeks may also work. Hopefully more experienced keepers will chime in if that seems agreeable. I’m a more conservative feeder than most.
__________________
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
TRD
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Posts: 587
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Babies will take a meal every 7-10 days, but may still skip them from time to time. Their metabolism is very slow. Once adult every 14 days, but even then they sometimes skip a month without reason so I think even every 21-28 days would be sufficient for them. I have a table with all their feedings, I could average it out later on tonight to see how much food they have actually taken over the course of their live and give a better indication on what to expect... cheers
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2003
Location: California
Age: 35
Posts: 340
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

I've had this question too cause I get so many different answers from FB groups (-_-) Oy... anyway, they were saying every 5 days for a baby which seems insane to me. Yeah I get feeding colubrids that often but baby boas?

But yes 7 days is good. Adults will eat far less, especially the males.
Magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2015
Posts: 37
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Thank you for the answers! Wanted to make sure they were not like Hognoses.
acidonangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 11-29-17, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
TRD
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2016
Posts: 587
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

So,
on average my babies (under 1 year) took a meal every 7 (actually just over 7) days
my adults took a meal every (almost) 18 days. I try feeding them every 14 days though, but they skipped some mainly in the months Jan to Apr.

The meal of the adults is about 6-8% of their weight, not 10-15% like some high metabolism colubrids get. Babies took 1 pinkie of about 3-4 gram every 7 days, I tried feeding multiple but they never took more as babies (did when crossing 1 year though). Neither has eaten for me when in shed, neither has eaten for me when outside the enclosure. I had only 1 or 2 strike feedings from adults (from beneath the substrate when I knew where the head was). They are very shy in general.

Hope this info helps you somehow in what to expect. Individual snakes may still differ, females will also eat more regular than males as Magdalen said above.

Last edited by TRD; 11-29-17 at 05:36 PM..
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
queen of the Chicken Dance
 
CK SandBoas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2011
Location: Halifax, MA
Posts: 3,997
Country:
Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Ive been keeping and breeding Kenyan Sand Boas for the past 10 years, and for babies, they get fed every five days until they reach around 20 grams, then they move to every 7 days. Adults I feed every 7-10 days, never going past 2 weeks. Their metabolism is not like other boa species, I have found babies to be looking for their next meal 3-4 days after a meal. Adult males will go off feed during the winter months for breeding, that is the only time any of mine will skip a normal schedule..
CK SandBoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsnakegirl785's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2011
Location: Waynesville
Age: 23
Posts: 3,691
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
So,
on average my babies (under 1 year) took a meal every 7 (actually just over 7) days
my adults took a meal every (almost) 18 days. I try feeding them every 14 days though, but they skipped some mainly in the months Jan to Apr.

The meal of the adults is about 6-8% of their weight, not 10-15% like some high metabolism colubrids get. Babies took 1 pinkie of about 3-4 gram every 7 days, I tried feeding multiple but they never took more as babies (did when crossing 1 year though). Neither has eaten for me when in shed, neither has eaten for me when outside the enclosure. I had only 1 or 2 strike feedings from adults (from beneath the substrate when I knew where the head was). They are very shy in general.

Hope this info helps you somehow in what to expect. Individual snakes may still differ, females will also eat more regular than males as Magdalen said above.
It seems in your experience itís much like mine with my boas. My boas also get 6-8% as babies, but the frequency depends on species. My rainbows start at 7-10 days and my boa constrictors at 10-14 days. The KSBs are eating more often than either species as adults but thatís to be expected since theyíre smaller. My rainbows get fed every 3-4 weeks as adults, and my boa constrictors every 4-6 weeks, and meals can be as small as only 2% of their weight.

I do feed more conservatively than most, though, Iíve noticed most people are not willing to feed their babies less than the largest meals they can get away with every 5-7 days, and itís rare to find people feeding even adults less than weekly (2 weeks is also common but not as common). Slower growth sets off red flags and is usually interpreted as underfeeding or ďstarvingĒ a snake, but itís way easier to overfeed than people think and as long as theyíre eating itís nearly impossible to starve them. A slower growth is overall healthier and easier to keep snakes from becoming overweight, as you cannot reliably monitor a snakeís weight visibly. They store their fat in fatty deposits, and when those are full, it covers all of their organs, and then eventually it gets bad enough the snake becomes visibly overweight or obese. Obesity/lack of exercise is one of the most common ailments in captive reptiles.

From what Iíve seen, boas in general are slower growers and require a lot less food than pythons, but people still feed them like pythons as long as theyíll eat that way. (Then again I also feel pythons are overfed in general.)
__________________
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 1.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura - RIP Guin and Morzan, 1.1 Picasso stripe BRB
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2003
Location: California
Age: 35
Posts: 340
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

OP I hope you don't mind me asking a feeding question.

To anyone - When have you found that they can be moved up in feeder size? Moving up to fuzzies. I hear a lot of people talk about feeding pinkies to their boas that look like they could take fuzzies or bigger. I have heard they prefer nesting prey, is that why people stick with smaller prey items?
My experience with my first sand boa he/she was a good size and easily took hoppers. My new guy is 4 months old and still small enough to take pinkies and gets them once a week (minus shedding). He has a good growth rate so far.
Magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,589
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK SandBoas View Post
Ive been keeping and breeding Kenyan Sand Boas for the past 10 years, and for babies, they get fed every five days until they reach around 20 grams, then they move to every 7 days. Adults I feed every 7-10 days, never going past 2 weeks. Their metabolism is not like other boa species, I have found babies to be looking for their next meal 3-4 days after a meal. Adult males will go off feed during the winter months for breeding, that is the only time any of mine will skip a normal schedule..
I followed this when I had my collection of sand boas and they did really well on them. Incredible little snakes.
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-17, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
queen of the Chicken Dance
 
CK SandBoas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug-2011
Location: Halifax, MA
Posts: 3,997
Country:
Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
OP I hope you don't mind me asking a feeding question.

To anyone - When have you found that they can be moved up in feeder size? Moving up to fuzzies. I hear a lot of people talk about feeding pinkies to their boas that look like they could take fuzzies or bigger. I have heard they prefer nesting prey, is that why people stick with smaller prey items?
My experience with my first sand boa he/she was a good size and easily took hoppers. My new guy is 4 months old and still small enough to take pinkies and gets them once a week (minus shedding). He has a good growth rate so far.
I have usually moved mine up to the next feeder size when they can take 2 of one particular prey item without leaving a noticeable lump....I actually have two 4 month olds that will take small hoppers with no issues whatsoever, a male albino and a female stripe dh snow....
CK SandBoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2003
Location: California
Age: 35
Posts: 340
Country:
Re: How often to feed a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Thank you CK. I think he's getting really close to taking fuzzies. My store's fuzzies tend to run on the bigger side.
Magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0