border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-16, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: BRB Losing Scales?

He looks about the same. His scales aren't worse or better and nothing else has popped up. Everything looks clear and as healthy as can be on a snake like him. No sign of discoloration or abnormal wrinkliness on his belly or chin. Still alert but was sleeping.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 2.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura, Picasso stripe Morzan - RIP Guin, 0.1 Picasso stripe BRB
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

big snake girl, what state are you in? maybe someone around you will know of a good reptile vet. if you are close to Pa. i can recommend Leia Goodell in the south hills of pittsburgh. phone is:412-831-9500. i sure hope everything goes ok for him.
macandchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Interesting. The picts are hard to see though – does your camera have a “macro” or closeup setting you can try with?

Are you sure the scale are *gone* rather than just discolored? Ot, maybe ust have a film over them? Normally, scale loss only happens as a result of a bad shed, a local infection, or an injury.
Some rainbow babies just never seem to develop good digestive systems. I have one from 2014 and one from 2015 at home right now.

Suggestion: instead of a vet visit, see if a vet will let you swab it yourself and then send it out for you. They may have to send you a sterile swab, or tell you where to get one…but this will be far less stressful for him. After you take the sample, give him a betadine bath. First let him soak in clear water for 15 minutes in case he wants to drink, then switch to a dilute betadine mixture (roughly the color of tea). If it’s some type of fungus or bacteria that should knock it back. Also change his substrate/disinfect so he does not re-expose himself.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Website, Facebook
Snakesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
He looks about the same. His scales aren't worse or better and nothing else has popped up. Everything looks clear and as healthy as can be on a snake like him. No sign of discoloration or abnormal wrinkliness on his belly or chin. Still alert but was sleeping.
The reason i ask is because BRB as they get older will whitewash at nights.

The more i look at the pictures it looks like dry scales. Have you try upping the humidity?
Old 09-20-16, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Andy_G

It looks like the combination of dry scales coupled with the snake at some point scraping and superficially injuring it's side along a rough edge of some kind...?
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 09-20-16, 05:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thank you Cliff for the suggestion that would make me feel tons better. I have already given him fresh bedding. Still the same cypress mulch/EcoEarth mix just new bedding. Is betadine found in stores like Wal-Mart?

No, the camera doesn't have a macro setting it's a DSLR so all I can do is zoom in and focus. The lens was opened all the way and I was as close as I could get so that the camera would still focus.

Also marvelfreak he is definitely not whitewalling I am well aware of what that looks like, I have two others. I have yet to see Morzan white wall, ever, though.

Andy_G he doesn't appear dehydrated the rest of his skin is normal without any bent skin, and as you can tell by the feces/urate photo he's not showing signs of dehydration there either. He's never had a bad shed. Honestly the only thing I can guess is it's a fungal infection and after losing Guin to septicemia I'm scared to death I'll be looking forward to that with him. On my day off I'm calling my local vet to ask him about getting my own sample and sending it in. I hope all it is right now is a fungal infection.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 2.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura, Picasso stripe Morzan - RIP Guin, 0.1 Picasso stripe BRB
Old 09-20-16, 05:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

I can try getting another photo when I get home, but in person it doesn't look like dry scales. My bp had bad sheds for 5 years so I'm fairly familiar with how that appears. Some of the scales are thickened and hardened, some are brownish. It's hard to tell if the pigment I'm seeing is because his scales are clear and I'm seeing his skin or if there's still some pigment left in the scales, but they're mostly clear where it isn't turning brown. His belly remains clear no spotting or redness, vent is normal, chin and mouth is normal.
Old 09-20-16, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Andy_G

I figured as much...was kind of just guessing. Hope you find out what you need to from the vet.
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 09:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

You are most welcome. ;-)

Wal-Mart should have it -- I know I found mine at Rite Aid.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Website, Facebook
Old 09-20-16, 09:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

You are most welcome. ;-)

Wal-Mart should have it -- I know I found mine at Rite Aid.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!
Website, Facebook
Login to remove ads
Old 09-21-16, 01:44 AM   #26 (permalink)

Ok I got those new photos I promised....he's so absolutely tiny in person it's hard to make anything out. Looking at these photos straight off the camera, it doesn't look like an infection. It does look more like dry scales except they're mostly fully formed, mostly neat, and not shriveled at all. The only thing is they look...clear. The bits where I thought it was discoloration from an infection actually look to be pigmentation in these photos. This is all so weird.

There are a couple messed up scales to the far right of the affected area but that's about it.

Is it possible to just get random dry scales despite high humidity? I mean, he looks perfectly hydrated in every other aspect of his body but...

I work tomorrow so I won't have a chance to call the vet, but I'll keep an eye on him and at least get a consultation over the phone to see about a fungal test but I'm starting to wonder if that's what that is now.

Old 09-21-16, 01:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

It does look like possible fungal growth to me. If so, those are usually very treatable when caught early as you did.
Website, Facebook
Old 09-21-16, 05:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what he thinks on how to handle it; I get the sample turn it it, he does a physical, etc.

Even with the weakened state he's in because of his regurge issues, you don't think it will turn septic? I'm half thinking this will just away with his next shed, half thinking it's a fungal infection, but skin infections can easily turn to septicemia from what I've read...and he seems rather predisposed to it considering.
Old 09-21-16, 07:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

Hey bsg, even though it will stress him out the vet is the definitive answer for a diagnosis. I agree with Cliff to go with the diluted betadine in the interim. Skin infections only make a animal septic if it goes untreated for extended periods. You don't fall into that category. Actually septicemia will present as a red dotted rash and mostly on the ventral scales. Worse case scenario is the brb will need antibiotic or anti fungal injections if it's determined to warrant that. I hope that's not the case and he has a speedy recovery from something that isn't serious.
Albert Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 07:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Hey bsg, even though it will stress him out the vet is the definitive answer for a diagnosis. I agree with Cliff to go with the diluted betadine in the interim. Skin infections only make a animal septic if it goes untreated for extended periods. You don't fall into that category. Actually septicemia will present as a red dotted rash and mostly on the ventral scales. Worse case scenario is the brb will need antibiotic or anti fungal injections if it's determined to warrant that. I hope that's not the case and he has a speedy recovery from something that isn't serious.
That is generally true, but I lost a rainbow boa last winter to septicemia and she had zero symptoms. The only things that alerted me that she could be ill were a small regurge and half-digested feces. I figured it was odd but didn't set off any alarms at the time (I know better now). 18 days after eating her 3rd meal with me, she died. I had her maybe 2 months. I think the bacteria found was salmonella, if that makes any difference. Generally it appears Psuedomonas aeruginosa and the ilk cause septicemia from what I've been reading. She had no weird bumps, no patchiness, no swollenness, nothing. I checked on her one morning to find she looked a-ok and when I got off work she was dead.

I'm going to take Cliff's advice and get the sample myself unless the vet thinks he really needs to be seen. Again, I want to stress he isn't a perfectly healthy BRB aside from the possible skin infection, and I don't want the vet visit to be the last straw if the test ends up negative. I only want to take him if it's 100% necessary.
Login to remove ads