border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-16, 09:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 1,978
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

Thanks Albert. I'm always interested in learning. I'm fortunate that I've never had a snake regurge on me but it may happen at some time.

Unfortunately there's no hope for me! I'll just get horrendously nauseous every time I have antibiotics.
__________________
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you do not know why. Often these happen together, nothing works and nobody knows why. - Arihato
dannybgoode is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 09:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Aaron_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov-2002
Location: Toronto
Age: 32
Posts: 16,495
Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Baby snake help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Thanks for weighing in db. Reptile magazine has a article favorably discussing the use of l.b.acidophilus and I am looking for it. Scientific trials I just don't know about. I am interested in hearing from the op and his experience with the product.
It's great you have a magazine article. However, you'll need to dig for papers. Specifically peer reviewed as those aren't biased as a magazine article could be.

Very easily a favourable article could be bought/paid for by the company wanting to push a new product.
Aaron_S is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 01:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
snakekid6996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2012
Location: Fort Wayne
Age: 19
Posts: 453
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

I haven't administered any drops yet, as they've only regurgitated once. If they regurg again than I'll most likely try adding it to the water dish. I'm about to try feeding them again today. I didn't rise the temps all the way to 87, but I did bump the temps up a bit. I'm also going to try ripping the skin off the belly of the pinky mice, because I've heard that speeds up the digestion and reduces the risk of regurgitation. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll keep you updated
__________________
1.1 corns, 1.0 BCI boa constrioctor , 1.1 cali kings, 1.0 Gray banded king, 1.0 nelson milk
snakekid6996 is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 01:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec-2002
Location: London
Posts: 2,938
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekid6996 View Post
I haven't administered any drops yet, as they've only regurgitated once. If they regurg again than I'll most likely try adding it to the water dish. I'm about to try feeding them again today. I didn't rise the temps all the way to 87, but I did bump the temps up a bit. I'm also going to try ripping the skin off the belly of the pinky mice, because I've heard that speeds up the digestion and reduces the risk of regurgitation. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll keep you updated
I've never heard of that before. Good luck and perhaps let us know how that works.
Andy_G is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 05:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Albert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2015
Posts: 3,133
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekid6996 View Post
I haven't administered any drops yet, as they've only regurgitated once. If they regurg again than I'll most likely try adding it to the water dish. I'm about to try feeding them again today. I didn't rise the temps all the way to 87, but I did bump the temps up a bit. I'm also going to try ripping the skin off the belly of the pinky mice, because I've heard that speeds up the digestion and reduces the risk of regurgitation. Thanks for everyone's input and I'll keep you updated
Well that's great that you've started to remedy the problem by boosting the temperature. I would consider cutting the pinky in half lengthwise while it is still frozen, as that will limit the gore and hemorrhaging and hanging organs. It's also reducing overall prey size. You can also call your nearest exotic vet office and see if they would be so kind as to let you speak to the vet about the l.b.acidolphilus and see what he or she thinks about the product use if the animal regurges again.
Albert Clark is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 08-28-16, 11:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
snakekid6996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2012
Location: Fort Wayne
Age: 19
Posts: 453
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

Well, out of the three babies remaining two of them ate. One of them was the one that I haven't had any problems with so that wasn't a surprise. The second one was one that had regurgitated, but fortunately, after two days, he still hasn't regurgitated this meal, so I think it's safe to say he won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Well that's great that you've started to remedy the problem by boosting the temperature. I would consider cutting the pinky in half lengthwise while it is still frozen, as that will limit the gore and hemorrhaging and hanging organs. It's also reducing overall prey size. You can also call your nearest exotic vet office and see if they would be so kind as to let you speak to the vet about the l.b.acidolphilus and see what he or she thinks about the product use if the animal regurges again.
I didn't see this comment until after I had already fed the babies. When I tear the skin, I just pinch the belly skin and create a small tear, then pull down my thumb to fold the skin back. This only pulls away the thin layer of skin, but there is a very thin lining underneath that you can see holds the organs in. I've never had a problem with much gore or any organs hanging out. I'll try it the way you recommended next time I try to feed the remaining snake that hasn't had a meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I've never heard of that before. Good luck and perhaps let us know how that works.
One of my good friends is a larger scale breeder. This is one of the tricks she has used on regurging babies. I believe the idea is that it allows the snake's stomach acids to enter the mouse's body and begin breaking it down quicker, which reduces the change of regurgitation. So far so good with the snake that just ate, but I'll keep everyone updated.
__________________
1.1 corns, 1.0 BCI boa constrioctor , 1.1 cali kings, 1.0 Gray banded king, 1.0 nelson milk
snakekid6996 is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 09:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Albert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar-2015
Posts: 3,133
Country:
Re: Baby snake help

Great news! I am glad that there hasnt been any more regurges. As far as the gore and bleeding and hanging organs, that usually happens when you cut the prey after its thawed. Thats why i mentioned to cut while still frozen. Congrats.
Albert Clark is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
baby, corn snake, death, feeding

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0