border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-16, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: 2016 Pastel het pied..

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
we'll be waiting for the hatching! hey, al. a question. can a snake have twins? is there ever 2 hatchlings to 1 egg?
Check out this video from Prehistoric Pets. It will answer your question and then some.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7HimuvIfQ
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 06-18-16, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for that video footage Dave. I was making a statement previously with OWAL Reptiles and they said they had never heard of twins in one egg before. This ( identical twins )in one egg has been previously documented but I can't recall where or who. It was ball pythons at that time. Thanks.
Old 06-19-16, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

i checked out the images of twins and i'm convinced. thanks for the info!
Old 06-19-16, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
i checked out the images of twins and i'm convinced. thanks for the info!
I have never seen triplets in one egg from ball pythons though. These are retics but still amazing! Wow!
Old 06-22-16, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, unfortunate turn of events with this pastel pied clutch! For some reason the tub housing the six eggs spiked up to 103F degrees and I noticed it this morning. I have no idea how long the temp was like that, the other tub with the single egg roll out was at 88.7F. Checked the tub temps and humidity on Monday 6/20/16 when I vented the tub. I have checked the connections and everything seems in place. Seems like it was in the tub only and not a electrical issue. I took the lid off and added 100% cypress mulch to the interior of the incubator and got the tub temp down to 91.2F. IDK if any damage was done to the hatchlings yet as none of them have pipped and this is day #55.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-22-16, 10:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about this Albert. I know you put a lot of time and energy into your animals, and you would rightfully upset if something were to happen to them. Hopefully the clutch will be alright.
Old 06-22-16, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

That is truly unfortunate Albert. Hope all as well. I guess you'll know in a few more days.
Old 06-22-16, 12:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
Sorry to hear about this Albert. I know you put a lot of time and energy into your animals, and you would rightfully upset if something were to happen to them. Hopefully the clutch will be alright.
Thanks MC, I do and I did but I think what happened is at day 52 and beyond the eggs start generating their own heat by moving and writhing inside the egg. So the heat probably needed to be turned down on the thermostat. When I checked on Monday the temps were at 87.2F with the humidity at 99%. Incubator was set at 89.0F. Thanks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
That is truly unfortunate Albert. Hope all as well. I guess you'll know in a few more days.
Yep! I guess I will once my eyes clear from the tears. Thanks for the well wishing Andy.
Old 06-22-16, 02:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Got the temp in the six egg tub to go down to 88.7F after leaving the lid off but keeping the humidity barely @ 79% with the cypress mulch. Can't say I see real movement in the eggs but I will be checking every half hour or so. All my previous clutches began pipping at day 53 or so. This is rather disturbing. Hoping for the best but expecting the worse. Fingers and toes crossed they will be ok.
Old 06-22-16, 04:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Fingers crossed they're okay! That's so heartbreaking. Hopefully they will start pipping soon with no issues.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-22-16, 09:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkea View Post
Fingers crossed they're okay! That's so heartbreaking. Hopefully they will start pipping soon with no issues.
Thanks val, I appreciate those sentiments! It's disturbing bc it certainly wasn't the incubator malfunctioning. This was a tub temp issue that arose maybe due to the tub type along with the press and seal and lid being too much as day 55 drew near? We'll see.
Old 06-23-16, 06:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

Well the consensus was to cut the eggs and after adjusting and readjusting the thermostat and stabilizing the temps, all the hatchlings are alive and moving. I was also told by Pit on the prowl to either candle and look for movement or cut. So I candled first, saw movement and was satisfied with that. I decided to cut this morning as a additional safeguard. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-23-16, 10:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Well, temps and humidity are both stable 88.7F and 99%. Hatchlings all alive and looking fantastic with that pastel coloration. None of them have stuck their head out yet but I'm sure they will soon. Thanks.
Old 06-23-16, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

I'm really glad things turned out okay for you!

Quick question about "egg cutting" as you mentioned there. Is that a last resort, and how late in the game can you do that? I kind of figured that'd be really dangerous at any point. I have no intention of breeding or handling eggs, I'm just genuinely curious! c.
Old 06-23-16, 11:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggybuns View Post
I'm really glad things turned out okay for you!

Quick question about "egg cutting" as you mentioned there. Is that a last resort, and how late in the game can you do that? I kind of figured that'd be really dangerous at any point. I have no intention of breeding or handling eggs, I'm just genuinely curious! c.
Thanks Pb! Most times it is a last resort when the eggs are perceived to be "at risk". There are ages where cutting is deemed safer and those ages are between 55 days or one of the hatchlings has already pipped. Any cutting between 50 and 54 days is considered more risky as the hatchlings are more underdeveloped. Some people do cut at those times bc they have reason to believe there are other life threatening issues. After 55 days and beyond is the safer age to consider cutting. It is dangerous at any time due to potential problems like infection or cutting a major vessel. Although there are some specifics to follow when cutting that make it safer. There also are those that cut eggs bc they are impatient and may be expecting a specific morph.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 06-23-16 at 11:52 AM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread