border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-18, 03:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Emergency plz hwlp! regurgitzation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBuster7653 View Post
The story is irrelevant. Heís home and healthy. Just worried about him refusing food. I hope after he does shed in the next 2-3 weeks he willeatafter. because Iíd
Irrelevant why??? Because you got called out?? Because you got caught in your lie???
craigafrechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
If the snake regurged, leave it alone for a week. Don't feed again for AT LEAST two weeks, but you're better off going three weeks.

A regurge beats the crap out of the snake's insides, so it's very important to let it heal.
If it was only a regurgitation, then no damage is likely to have been done. Regurgitation is when the food is pushed back through the path it initially travelled before digestion has started. Could be caused by a number of things that either scare or stress the animal and make it want to prepare for a quick getaway.

Vomiting is a different matter. If it was vomited (i.e. after the digestion process had started), then dehydration and other imbalances can occur and the snake needs to rest as said above. The cause of vomiting also needs to be established and treated.

I got a bit confused with what happened exactly, so not sure if this is of much help.

Last edited by scales.jp; 04-29-18 at 06:30 AM..
scales.jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-18, 06:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales.jp View Post
If it was only a regurgitation, then no damage is likely to have been done. Regurgitation is when the food is pushed back through the path it initially travelled before digestion has started. Could be caused by a number of things that either scare or stress the animal and make it want to prepare for a quick getaway.

Vomiting is a different matter. If it was vomited (i.e. after the digestion process had started), then dehydration and other imbalances can occur and the snake needs to rest as said above. The cause of vomiting also needs to be established and treated.

I got a bit confused with what happened exactly, so not sure if this is of much help.
You've got the two confused.

regurgitation
[ri-gur-ji-tey-shuh n]
noun
the act of regurgitating.

voluntary or involuntary return of partly digested food from the stomach to the mouth.
Old 04-29-18, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

regurgitation
[ri-gur-ji-tey-shuh n]
noun

voluntary or involuntary return of partly digested food from the stomach to the mouth.
By dictionary definition that's correct, but there is a *way off topic* situation that illustrates the distinction between an undigested regurg and illness-induced vomiting. I'm sure any Moms or Dads here know what I'm talking about.

When moms nurse human babies, we quickly learn the difference between an oral liquid expulsion that's merely "spitting up" and an oral liquid expulsion that's actual vomit. The former looks and smells pretty much the same as it did when it went in because it hasn't been digested at all. The latter looks darker and smells like bile because it's come from deep in the stomach and is partially digested. We're even told by books, nurses and pediatricians that there's a difference between "spitting up" and vomiting. "Spitting up" is normal and to be expected. Actual vomiting means a trip to the pediatrician.

Maybe I'm incorrect applying the same knowledge to snakes, but when Jerkface regurged last week I never worried about him being actually sick because the fuzzy looked more or less like it did when I gave it too him. Even before I asked my question here on the board, I put the regurg down to some sort of environmental stress rather than illness.
Old 04-29-18, 03:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBuster7653 View Post
Big snake girl I thought I just mentioned it. By accident and something out of my control he was left outside on a tiny fake decorative tree to enjoy the sunny day. Well I couldnít find him I looked for 8 hours! Found him the next morning thank the lord and he just did not look like he had any type of bump all. So Iím thinking the stress of outside and him having to be on the move to get warm since the temps dropped in the 50s at night here in PA. im thinking he regurgitated. Heís absolutely fine now. Long story shot my nephew did something he wasnít supposed to and caused this and Iím just happy I found him. Now I put a lock on his cage. I was almost in tears. Iím just so happy heís back. So he shed a month ago exactly so Iím guess he refused the little fuzzy I offered him to see his responses but he wouldnít eat. So either heís full and did not regurgitates., or stressed out from being cold, or most likely because heís in the very beginning stages of shed. Iíll find out soon. Once he sheds in the next 10-14 days kk feed him after and Iím sure he will be fine.

Please nobody judge me for what happened. Mistakes hallen. I fixed it and made sure it will never happen again and I am upset and ashamed enough.
I understand that he escaped, my confusion comes from what led you to believe he regurged without an actual regurgitation.

If it's just because there was no bulge, he may have just digested the meal down in that time.

As a side note, the story does matter here, as they are two totally different scenarios with different ways of fixing them. They also have two different culprits, and it's important that if it was through a fault of your own that you own up to it. If it was someone else's fault, it's important you take steps to prevent it from happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
By dictionary definition that's correct, but there is a *way off topic* situation that illustrates the distinction between an undigested regurg and illness-induced vomiting. I'm sure any Moms or Dads here know what I'm talking about.

When moms nurse human babies, we quickly learn the difference between an oral liquid expulsion that's merely "spitting up" and an oral liquid expulsion that's actual vomit. The former looks and smells pretty much the same as it did when it went in because it hasn't been digested at all. The latter looks darker and smells like bile because it's come from deep in the stomach and is partially digested. We're even told by books, nurses and pediatricians that there's a difference between "spitting up" and vomiting. "Spitting up" is normal and to be expected. Actual vomiting means a trip to the pediatrician.

Maybe I'm incorrect applying the same knowledge to snakes, but when Jerkface regurged last week I never worried about him being actually sick because the fuzzy looked more or less like it did when I gave it too him. Even before I asked my question here on the board, I put the regurg down to some sort of environmental stress rather than illness.
I wouldn't rely on the type of expulsion to determine if a snake is ill or not. A snake will throw up partially digested prey, even if they are not ill, if they are stressed enough. High temps, overhandling, escapes...any of these could result in regurgitation, whether partially digested or not.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - RIP (Guin, Morzan, Sanji, and Homura - BRBs)
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 04-29-18, 04:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

regurgitation
[ri-gur-ji-tey-shuh n]
noun

Hmmm, had this discussion before. Maybe a difference in usage between UK and US English.
Old 04-30-18, 01:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I wouldn't rely on the type of expulsion to determine if a snake is ill or not. A snake will throw up partially digested prey, even if they are not ill, if they are stressed enough.
Good point. Perhaps we should just say that "throwing up" soon after eating is unlikely to harm the snake, but if it happens after digestion has started then the animal will require a period of recovery and monitoring for signs of illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
"... when Jerkface regurged last week ..."
Such an awesome name. What you said was exactly what I meant. Thanks for going *way off topic* to illustrate it.
Old 04-30-18, 03:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point. Perhaps we should just say that "throwing up" soon after eating is unlikely to harm the snake, but if it happens after digestion has started then the animal will require a period of recovery and monitoring for signs of illness.
Interesting, and you may be right, maybe we just use them differently here than there....
...and since the proper use of the words isn't the topic here I'm perfectly fine with moving on.
Thanks man!
Old 04-30-18, 03:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm, had this discussion before. Maybe a difference in usage between UK and US English.
Interesting, you may be right.
Old 04-30-18, 11:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Scales. And everyone else. Yes this was a big help. It puts me st ease. It’s been almost s week. The reason I thought he regurgitated was yes, as one of you mentioned , was because the huge bulge in him was gone. So yes, I could be wrong. But he always! Always has strong feeding tespsone and now he doesn’t. So it’s either he regurgitated and needs to rest. Or shedding cycle has begun. So I need to get tips on signs of early shedding with BCC anyone know any?
BallBuster7653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 05-01-18, 02:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

So you think he regurged, yet you're already trying to feed him??????
Old 05-01-18, 02:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

So you believe he regurgitated, yet tried to feed him less than a week later???
Old 05-01-18, 02:58 AM   #28 (permalink)

Never mind, we probably won't get the truth anyway...

His nephew probably tried to feed the snake...or dinner was in the oven, or....
Old 05-01-18, 06:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Signs of a shed cycle would be the same as any other snake species. I also think it's a bad idea to try to feed already.

With all due respect, for someone who claims to have a lot of experience, you're doing a lot of things and asking a lot of questions that someone with experience just doesn't usually do/ask...

Last edited by Andy_G; 05-01-18 at 09:45 AM..
Andy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 01:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Signs of a shed cycle would be the same as any other snake species. I also think it's a bad idea to try to feed already.

With all due respect, for someone who claims to have a lot of experience, you're doing a lot of things and asking a lot of questions that someone with experience just doesn't usually do/ask...
I couldn't agree more
Login to remove ads