border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-16, 02:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

Re: Tirel, Ghost Boa

Finally got the internet working, had the company reset everything. We were only getting .15 mbps upload speed, now we're getting almost 6. lol

So here's some post-shed pics of Tirel. She shed on the 29th, and she's really gaining some respectable size now. She doesn't have a lot of natural girth, but once she's on larger rats that should change. Even when she first got here, her tail was oddly tapered from the rest of her body, and now her body tone is more uniform. I think she's just one of those gangly, tall teenagers atm because she is packing on the weight and gaining size quite a bit faster than Nymeria, who is fed similarly but of much stockier build.

Here she's pulling her mouth open trying to drag herself across her back.

0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 2.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura, Picasso stripe Morzan - RIP Guin, 0.1 Picasso stripe BRB
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 02:07 PM   #47 (permalink)

Looking good as always bsg. And yes she is getting some boa size to her now. It's funny how they're nothing nothing nothing-hit 18mo or so and bang.

I had Auntie Rachel out today and was thinking just how much she's come on in the last couple of months and I've slowed her feeding right down for winter but she's getting some size to her.

I saw what I think is her mum though in the store and she's huge for a CA. I mean really big-7 1/2' big! And girthy also.
Old 11-03-16, 09:50 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Looking good as always bsg. And yes she is getting some boa size to her now. It's funny how they're nothing nothing nothing-hit 18mo or so and bang.

I had Auntie Rachel out today and was thinking just how much she's come on in the last couple of months and I've slowed her feeding right down for winter but she's getting some size to her.

I saw what I think is her mum though in the store and she's huge for a CA. I mean really big-7 1/2' big! And girthy also.
She's been growing like a maniac since I first got her. Within the first month I got her, she put on 100 grams just from 2 meals (and yes weighed her empty). Last I weighed her, she was 639 and had gained 240 grams since I got her 4 months before that. It's been about another month so I wouldn't be surprised if she's put on another 50 grams or so.

I just now started slowing Tirel's feeding down with her last feeding, switched her to monthly for the winter and she has less than a week to go for her next meal. So we'll see how that's affected her growth. She's been taking it pretty good, though, no increase in grumpiness and she's not overly excited about finding food.

At 7.5' she's definitely not a dwarf, no matter how you feed them they aren't going to get that big. The only CA I can think of that reaches that sort of size are Costa Ricans, I saw some boas while I was down there that were easily 8'-9', and the smallest might have been 6'. If her mom was that big, I'd expect an average-sized boa for sure! The girthiness mostly just comes down to feeding, so as long as you don't overfeed Auntie Rachel she shouldn't get too bad in that regard.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - 2.1 BRB Sanji, hypo Homura, Picasso stripe Morzan - RIP Guin, 0.1 Picasso stripe BRB
Old 11-04-16, 12:13 AM   #49 (permalink)

Oh the mum is a CA. No mistaking. She's just the exception to the rule. And she's girthy but not overweight. She's just a really big snake. The owner / breeder is one of the most experienced in the UK and I don't doubt the lineage or the husbandry one jot. He said he has not seem another one like her but there's always one that breaks the norm!
Old 11-04-16, 01:08 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh the mum is a CA. No mistaking. She's just the exception to the rule. And she's girthy but not overweight. She's just a really big snake. The owner / breeder is one of the most experienced in the UK and I don't doubt the lineage or the husbandry one jot. He said he has not seem another one like her but there's always one that breaks the norm!
That's like saying a chihuahua the size of a Great Dane is an exception. It's not possible for a boa usually termed CA (aka dwarves) to get 7.5' without outside blood. She may look like a dwarf CA, but that doesn't mean she's pure, she's likely been outcrossed with a larger locality or species/subspecies somewhere along the line and just happened to inherit a lot of dwarf CA phenotypes, or what appear to be CA phenotypes.

It's impossible to know her percentages just by looking at her, so unless you or the owner happen to have papers stating she's a pure CA, I don't believe for a second she's a pure dwarf. Papers can be faked, but it would lend a bit more credibility vs just saying she looks like CA. A boa being referred to simply as "Central American" doesn't lend them much credibility, either, as it could be any number of localities and is basically used when they have no clue what they have.

Another possibility is she's one of the larger CA localities, Costa Rican or Panamanian, which was a possibility I listed above (forgot about the Panamanians though). I'm sure there's a couple others as well. These aren't generally referred to as Central American, usually only the dwarf localities, but that's also possible what's happening here. Usually the "CA" boas are Nicaraguan, Sonoran, Caulker Cay, etc., and you'll be hard pressed to get them much over 5' let alone 7.5'. 6' is within the realm of possibilities, but usually done with powerfeeding and big parents, and is the equivalent to a 9'-10' Colombian.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-04-16, 01:21 AM   #51 (permalink)

I also don't want you to think I'm being mean or anything, just stating that if the mother is 7.5' you're probably not going to have a small boa. Generally, the dwarves are labelled CAs, so that's immediately what I think of here. If that's not the way you all are using it then I apologize. The term is ambiguous at best already, and it doesn't help that hybrids and crosses are almost impossible to identify. haha
Old 11-04-16, 01:22 AM   #52 (permalink)

I'm 90% Paul will have the paperwork-I will check with him. He's been breeding 30 years or so and I know length of service isn't necessarily a measure of expertise but in his case I would not doubt him for a second. None of her offspring have been sold as dwarf CA or dwarf in any way.

As I say they've never seen one as big before but he produced her so I imagine he's confident of the lineage. She's a stunner either way and if I had the space currently I'd snap her up

Oh and I don't think you're being mean. I appreciate your input but if Paul gels me she's a CA I'll take his word. He would be the first to call someone else out if he thought there were questions over lineage.
Old 11-04-16, 04:33 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm 90% Paul will have the paperwork-I will check with him. He's been breeding 30 years or so and I know length of service isn't necessarily a measure of expertise but in his case I would not doubt him for a second. None of her offspring have been sold as dwarf CA or dwarf in any way.

As I say they've never seen one as big before but he produced her so I imagine he's confident of the lineage. She's a stunner either way and if I had the space currently I'd snap her up

Oh and I don't think you're being mean. I appreciate your input but if Paul gels me she's a CA I'll take his word. He would be the first to call someone else out if he thought there were questions over lineage.
Sounds good! Your girl definitely has that CA dwarf look, but she's growing like a Colombian. I think last time you made an update her and Nymeria were close together. Nymeria has stagnated on length growth, though...she's still gaining weight but no length in a few months even with the upgrade in prey size.

I took Tirel out again tonight, and she gave me a single short hiss in protestation, but was docile and quiet when I picked her up.

I thought she had to have been close to 4' by now, but after getting Howl in, I don't think she is. He's quite a bit bigger than she is and comes out to an inch or two at most over 4' on SerpWidgets, she comes out at just over 3.5'.

She was worried there for a bit that she might fall and was really flexing those tail muscles. When she let go her tail was red. haha

And her big fat head.

Old 11-22-16, 11:26 PM   #54 (permalink)

Had Tirel out last week, she was in a dark phase. She's growing nicely, but is probably my scrawniest boa. haha Even when I first got her, she didn't have a whole lot of girth. For a time there she had this comical body where the main part of her body was thick and square then you get to her tail and it was like a piece of spaghetti just randomly attached to her. lol After awhile of feeding her conservatively, her body is a lot more proportionate she's just not a thick girl at all. I'm thinking once she gets bigger she should start putting on some girth, but she will probably always be a lean girl.

She's also doing pretty good on monthly feedings, gaining weight rapidly and growing in length pretty decently. Howl is still a bit bigger than her but she's closing in on him.

This one shows her iridescence nicely even if the white balance is a little high.

I like how her tail has this one aberrant spot where the saddle is broken up.

And finally, a full bodied photo of her in her tub.

Old 11-29-16, 11:29 AM   #55 (permalink)

Looks great BSG! I can't believe how big she is already...I have a Colombian a few months younger that is a third of the size (although her first year she was horribly neglected so she's a behind in growth).

I'm sure it says somewhere in here, but what do you have her on for feeders now? I think when you initially got her at ~400g she was on weaned rats? Have you bumped her up to small rats now? I have a 300g CA that I currently have on Jumbo mice but was starting to consider bumping him up to (smaller, 30-35g-ish) weaned rats soon
DLLNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Old 11-29-16, 11:17 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLNP View Post
Looks great BSG! I can't believe how big she is already...I have a Colombian a few months younger that is a third of the size (although her first year she was horribly neglected so she's a behind in growth).

I'm sure it says somewhere in here, but what do you have her on for feeders now? I think when you initially got her at ~400g she was on weaned rats? Have you bumped her up to small rats now? I have a 300g CA that I currently have on Jumbo mice but was starting to consider bumping him up to (smaller, 30-35g-ish) weaned rats soon
Yes I've bumped her up to smalls now that she's over 600 grams and eating monthly for the winter. I'm sure I could keep her on weaned for awhile longer, just figured if I'm going to feed her monthly during the winter I might as well go ahead and bump her.

Yes, she's a decent sized girl. Her breeder was feeding her bigger meals than I was, but I haven't bothered asking for frequency. I think she's also as big as she is partly because she's a naturally fast grower. Even with the way I've been feeding her she just about doubled her weight 4 months (1.5x her original weight). I haven't weighed her recently, but with the way she's been growing I wouldn't be surprised if she's reached/exceeded 700 grams by now unless the monthly feeding has slowed her down a bit.

My sunglow girl Nymeria is ~400 grams and has just been bumped to weaned rats, she was 360-370 grams when I gave her her first official weaned rat. Jumbo mice were just causing her to get chunky and she hasn't really gained any length while eating them. She's had maybe 2-3 weaned rats now and I'll eventually get around to measuring her to see if she's starting growing again.

Nymeria is a few weeks older than Tirel is, and she's at least half a foot shorter, but much girthier, so I think Tirel is just a fast grower. So far, Crona's growth is very close to what Nymeria's has been.
Old 12-12-16, 12:11 AM   #57 (permalink)

Well she's bunched up her paper towels again. >.> She seems so clumsy on them, I'm seriously debating putting the remaining EcoEarth from the latest batch in here for her. I'm kinda worried about doing that, though. As you can see in the first photo, there's a bit of condensation along the bottom back wall of her tub. That's where cold air is moving past. No misting at all since I changed her paper towels, this is all just humidity from the room and evaporation from her water dish. It's not cold enough it's making her cold (she feels warm to the touch when I take her out and the temp gun shows her body temp in the 80's), but it does create some condensation. I'm worried about damp EcoEarth making it too cold in her tub. :/ I might try putting some plastic over my window, too, and see if that helps, but it might be cold coming from the wall of the trailer.

Old 01-02-17, 01:16 AM   #58 (permalink)

A little over a week ago I switched her to aspen as she was tipping her bowl again, and I was too lazy at the time to expand EcoEarth. So far, she seems to be doing well on it, so I may keep the aspen for now since EcoEarth tends to get moldy on flexwatt in my experience and I used up the last of the cypress in the last rainbow bedding changes.

She spent a lot of time buried.

And was relaxing topside today in a light phase.

Old 01-08-17, 10:29 PM   #59 (permalink)

A few minutes ago she was climbing around and being noisy so I took her out to try to calm her. Turns out, she had pooped in the corner and that was why she was being all hyper. lol Cleaned that up and put her back and she calmed right down.

I tried to get some photos to show her size, but not only was she not being cooperative, the battery died after only these photos. :/ Still, she's still steadily growing. I swear she's catching up to Howl's size, but since I can't put them side by side I can't tell for sure. Howl is still undoubtedly the bigger one but she's getting closer and closer. She may reach 4' well before her 2nd b-day...

Tirel has two more meals spaced monthly before I put her back on every 2 weeks. Then, like Nymeria, she'll be fed every 3 weeks when she turns 2 in June.

Old 02-10-17, 04:32 PM   #60 (permalink)

She recently shed, and rather than using her hide she pushed her hide to the side and dug a shallow in her bedding and sat there the entire time.

Here's some photos from last night better showing her size.

Login to remove ads