border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum
 

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-15, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
help me pick some tetras

I really want some new tetras to put in my tank. I'm currently wanting some bleeding heart tetras, some ember tetras, or some flame tetras. Pics provided by Bing.com and are in order. What I'm asking is help me decide which one to get. I'll have to get five or more as they are schooling fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleeding_heart_tetra.jpg (2.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg ember-tetra-sm.jpg (12.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpeg th.jpeg (9.1 KB, 98 views)
Salty Rob is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-15, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
trailblazer295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,118
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

How big is the tank? How light/dark? Flames tend to be quite dark when fully red and might not be as nice visually. Also stay small so need a bigger school in a larger tank. You could also look at bloodfin tetras.
__________________
1.0 Fire Ball Python (Mushu) 1.0 BCI (Banzai) 0.1 Jaguar Carpet Python (Ono) 1.0 SD Retic (Kaa) 0.1 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (curly fry - unofficial) black and white cat (Nahla)
trailblazer295 is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2015
Location: Louisville
Posts: 527
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

I used to have a tank full of tetras. My favorite were the red minor serpae tetras I had. Very placid animals, beautiful, schooled nicely. I also had two other schools of rummy nosed and neon tetras, both of which I despised. Much more skittish and I'd find them occasionally on my floor, dry as a bone if I were to ever forget to replace the lid for an extended period of time.

It'd also help to know what other animals/plants you have in the tank. Some are just too fragile to go with anything that might be pushy/aggressive. Or some might appreciate a lot of plants more than others.

I haven't worked with any of the species you've suggested, as unfortunate as it is, although I'd place a nickel down for serpae tetras. They look kinda similar to bleeding heart except with longer, flowy fins. I assure you, though, they're two different species.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (2).jpg (5.4 KB, 97 views)
Tiny Boidae is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
How big is the tank? How light/dark? Flames tend to be quite dark when fully red and might not be as nice visually. Also stay small so need a bigger school in a larger tank. You could also look at bloodfin tetras.
Tank is a 55 long. I currently have a thread going in the aquatic section with pics. I currently have five red eye tetras, a small pleco, an albino Cory catfish, and a black kuhli loache.
Salty Rob is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
I used to have a tank full of tetras. My favorite were the red minor serpae tetras I had. Very placid animals, beautiful, schooled nicely. I also had two other schools of rummy nosed and neon tetras, both of which I despised. Much more skittish and I'd find them occasionally on my floor, dry as a bone if I were to ever forget to replace the lid for an extended period of time.

It'd also help to know what other animals/plants you have in the tank. Some are just too fragile to go with anything that might be pushy/aggressive. Or some might appreciate a lot of plants more than others.

I haven't worked with any of the species you've suggested, as unfortunate as it is, although I'd place a nickel down for serpae tetras. They look kinda similar to bleeding heart except with longer, flowy fins. I assure you, though, they're two different species.
Thanks for the info. 😀
Salty Rob is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 12-18-15, 05:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr-2015
Posts: 431
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Oh my favorite tetra are the Congo tetras, I had a school of them in my tank. Very nice peaceful fish and pretty! Yes you can see their teeth, but they never bothered anything I had in with them.
Once they get some size on them they are stunning!
Pogie is offline  
Old 12-18-15, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug-2015
Location: Louisville
Posts: 527
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Oh my favorite tetra are the Congo tetras, I had a school of them in my tank. Very nice peaceful fish and pretty! Yes you can see their teeth, but they never bothered anything I had in with them.
Once they get some size on them they are stunning!
If you wanna see a tetra with teeth, try the wolf tetra on for size. Not suggesting them, as these guys need a tank to themselves. They're still cool cats regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hopl-mal.jpg (13.0 KB, 70 views)
Tiny Boidae is offline  
Old 12-19-15, 01:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Dang that's awesome
Salty Rob is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,203
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

For tetras I don't think you cab beat a school of 9+ black phantoms. The more the better.

Beautiful colours and when they flair at each other they look spectacular...
dannybgoode is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
For tetras I don't think you cab beat a school of 9+ black phantoms. The more the better.

Beautiful colours and when they flair at each other they look spectacular...
Thanks. I haven't yet gotten any. I've had red eye tetras for awhile. Just looking to get them some friends
Salty Rob is offline  
Login to remove ads
Old 12-22-15, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
 
Minkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2014
Location: middle tn
Posts: 4,269
Country:
Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: help me pick some tetras

I like rummy nose. They are neat.
__________________
"THE Reptiholic"

I stopped counting at 30....
Minkness is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I like rummy nose. They are neat.
Nice. I think I might get some of these
Salty Rob is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan-2011
Posts: 69
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

It depends what colours you need \ like \ fancy ..
Another shout for Black Black Phantoms which are really Black Serpea apparently.

Also Empora \ Emperor Tetras and of course the amazing Neon Tetras .

Silver Tetras are spectacular as well but don't seem too hardy , sadly

Also Scissortails and Ghost Glass catfish. !!!!!
Zincubus is offline  
Old 12-24-15, 01:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Posts: 2,203
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

If you're after something a bit larger, Colombian tetras (also sometimes called red tailed tetras or jewel tetras) are very nice.

Brilliant silver body and bright red tail and get to 1.5-2" possibly a bit bigger with deep bodies. 5+ (9+ even better) look awesome. Shoal well and peaceful fish.
dannybgoode is offline  
Old 12-24-15, 02:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Salty Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec-2015
Location: Talala
Posts: 141
Country:
Re: help me pick some tetras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
If you're after something a bit larger, Colombian tetras (also sometimes called red tailed tetras or jewel tetras) are very nice.

Brilliant silver body and bright red tail and get to 1.5-2" possibly a bit bigger with deep bodies. 5+ (9+ even better) look awesome. Shoal well and peaceful fish.
No I'm looking for smaller. Would like a few colorful but not all. I have a 55 long and looking to put something in it. I currently have 5 red eye tetras, a Cory catfish, a baby pleco, a white crayfish, and a black loach.
Salty Rob is offline  
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-2020, Hobby Solutions.

right

SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0