View Single Post
Old 04-07-15, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
prairiepanda

Re: Riverrun (Poss Temp Name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
I'd always heard 10-15% of weight, and some went as large as 15-20%. I'm not wanting to overfeed her, so I'd rather not go with the absolute largest meal she can take. I'd like to grow her at a reasonable pace, feeding slightly conservatively, so I guess I'll stick to 15% then, which will put her at jumbo mice. I believe small rats are the equivalent?

I thought the jumbos would be too large for her. lol I have some stocked up for the bp, but they were 3x her girth so I didn't feel comfortable feeding them to her.
Looking at the girth of the snake next to your thumb, I would think rat pups would be plenty big enough. I can't imagine trying to cram a small rat in there I've never seen a jumbo mouse in person, but 3x her size would be quite a stretch. The rat pups I get are 21-30g, so 15 to 20% of your girl's weight. A bit more than you seem to want to do, but she'll catch up quickly in weight and it won't be long before those pups are the 10% you're after! That said, it does seem like with retics people usually feed more than that.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
prairiepanda is offline   Reply With Quote