This was posted by Katt on kingsnake this one isnt as bad as the 3 foot limit
To make a long story short, the Central Okanagan region is proposing to ban a few snake species mainly large constrictors, like boas, afrocks, and burmese pythons as well as the green iguana. We urge everyone to write KRoth@cord.bc.ca
to express your view on this ban. The WSPCR is sending letters and delegates to a council meeting on April 9th, 2003 to voice our opinions on how the WSPCR is opposed to the ban. Please support our cause. The WSPCR has been very successfull in turning bans around in Abbotsford and Mission and are working on the bans in Richmond and the Okanagan. However we need support and ask anyone with literary flair to voice your opinion. Thanks guys!
See info below.
Members of the public living in Lake Country, Peachland, Kelowna and
Regional District of Central Okanagan Electoral Areas are invited to
attend a public meeting regarding the Draft Bylaw for Exotic/Prohibited
Animals. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 9, 2003 at 7:00 pm
at the Offices of the Regional District of Central Okanagan 1450 KLO
Road, Kelowna, B.C.
The meeting is being held to present a draft of the proposed Prohibited
Animal Bylaw to the public and to obtain any comments from the public
regarding the keeping of rare, potentially dangerous or exotic animals.
The views expressed will not be discussed or debated at this meeting but
will be collected and considered by the Committee. Recommendations will
then be presented to local government related to the management of these
types of animals in the Central Okanagan.
Contact: Kelly Roth KRoth@cord.bc.ca
Director of Inspection Services
The following list of animals constitutes “prohibited animals” for the purposes of this bylaw. The list includes all such animals whether bred in the wild or in captivity and also includes their hybrids with domestic species.
1. Animals whose ownership in captivity violates existing Provincial and federal Canada statutes.
2. Canids, except the domestic dog.
8. Felids, except the domestic cat.
9. Green Iguanas.
11. Lagomorphs, except the domestic rabbit.
12. Marsupials, except sugar gliders.
13. Mustelids, except domesticated ferrets.
14. Non-human primates.
17. Birds of Prey such as hawks, accipiters, falcons, eagles and owls.
18. Ratite Birds except those prescribed by the Specialty Farm Operations Regulation.
19. Rodentia except degu, hamster, guinea pig, gerbil, domestic rat and domestic mouse.
20. Amythest Python, Burmese Python, Reticulated Python, Rock Pythons, Common Boa Constrictor and all Anacondas.
21. Ungulates, except domestic goats, sheep, pigs, cattle, horses, mules, donkeys, asses, llamas and alpacas.
23. Venomous reptiles.
25. Wildlife except as provided for by the Fur Farm Act, the Game Farm Act and the Wildlife Act.