View Single Post
Old 03-17-03, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Good question!

I used to feed by schedule strictly but then noticed that some snakes were getting some fat (especially one piggy corn!) and some refused meals (usually my bps).

For the past few months, I use my schedule just as a general guide and space out the meals differently. I feed a little bit less than I used to (most aren't so little anymore) and the timing is never exact. Unless they are very young, they get a meal somewhere around 10-14 days and their activity level will usually determine when I feed.

I do have different patterns for my colubrids than my boids since their digestion is at different speeds. Generally my colubrids get fed once a week (except for piggy Waldo who's on a "diet"!!!) but it never is ever 7 days on the mark. They can wait up to 10 days sometimes and sometimes have 2 meals in a week. It seems to me like it would reflect reality in nature a little more.

As for my boids (save the young boa who's fed once a week) I feed every 10-14 days. And again I usually choose the feeding night when the particular snake is out and active.

The funny thing is that I've come to learn my snakes, some better than others and my female bp, I ALWAYS know when she'll eat or not and exactly how much. Since she only eats mice, it's usually anywhere from 2-5. The last 6 months or so, I've been right on her feeding moods which is weird. She's never regular on the number of mice she eats, sometimes it's a gorge fest and other times she seems wishy-washy and takes less. I just find it really neat that I can seem to know how many she wants. Since I prekill my mice just before, I've saved a lot of wasted food this way.

The other thing with my bp's is that I don't fuss around when it comes to feeding. When I offer a food item, they have 10-15 minutes to show interest and eat, if not that's it, back home! I'm not very patient and don't like to try to tease a snake into eating. My philosophy is "fine, you're not hungry, then don't eat! next time!" They always do the next time and actually, it's been quite some time since I've had a refused meal! They know mom don't kid around!!! LOL

Keeper of 5 snakes, leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 20+ tarantulas, 2 dogs & a bunch of rats!