Thread: Pointless WAR!!
View Single Post
Old 02-05-03, 01:19 PM   #49 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to J_Riley
Originally posted by Sir Hiss
Concerningt the nuclear bombs. I was very necessary to drop the bombs. Like I said the Japanese plan, for which I forget the name but could find it if you wanted me to, was to take over the whole world. Their soldiers would NEVER give up. They made an oath to kill themselves before they did anything against this plan. In ordre for us to defeat Japan we would have had to invade the island. Our military geneals estimated the U.S. would lose over a million lives in order to get n the island. That did not inlude all of the Japanese lives which would have to be close to that number. It was absolutlely imparative the we drop the bombs. Be glad that we had them and that our Presisdent was strong enough to order it done. But please don't get me wrong. I don't support the killing of anyone not even our enemies. I would have a very hard time making the decision that Truman made. But presented with the facts above, I would have t agree with what he did, whether I like killing or not. And by the way we were hardly close to winning the war. It has been said that we have always been taught that we were really winning against Japan, but as mentioned in this thread we cannot always trust in what the government tells us. And trust me no person would drop these bombs on Japan if we were so close to winning. Further more they would not do it to show the world what we had. Truman would have just invited them to New Mexico to do that. Read history and you will see that we were never really close to beating Japan.

The Japanese didn't want to take over the world, they wanted to establish the Greater East Asia co-prosperisty sphere. You have to remember in the 30's Asia wasn't anywhere near as developed as they are these days. The USA was dictating what went on over there with threats of repercussions for a long time. The Japanese were fed up with doing what the US deemed correct. What the Japanese wanted were the raw materials of the Phillippines and New Guinea (mostly OIL, sound familiar?).

The Japanese are a very ancient culture, steeped in Bushido, the code of the warrior. Among other things, it was a disgrace to surrender and suicide was more honorable than surrender. That is why the bombs were necessary. That way only the Japanese would suffer huge casualties. And make no mistake, women and children were prepared to fight American soldiers invading the mainland with sharpened bamboo sticks.

The americans were winning the war against the Japanese with "leftovers" - the US's primary opponent was Hitler and the germans and the bulk of their war resources went to Europe. As an Island nation, Japan depended on importation of the bulk of their natural resources, and back in the 30's and 40's the only bulk transport method was ships. And the US submarines were blowing them to hell, to the tune of a million tons a month from 1943 onwards. The outcome of WWII was never in question in the Pacific after 1942, it was just a matter of how long it would take American industry to get up to speed. Check the figures of american warships produced pre 1942 and psot 1942, they are vastly different. In fact, in 1944, the US cancelled dozens and dozens of warships because they knew the war would be over soon.

The Japanese themselves predicted before the war started that if they didn't beat the US into surrender in 12 months, there was no way they could win, no way they could match the industrial might of US.

I bet if Iraq didn't have any oil, no one would give a rat's *** if they had chemical/bio/nuclear weapons, at least not to the point of trying to go to war under any pretext. The US has been coveting middle east oil for a long, long time. This is just the most recent episode. Bush is a typical Republican, catering to big business and the military, screwing the common man and the environment in the process. The sooner he is out of office, the better off the world will be.
Rome did not build a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing all who opposed them.