View Single Post
Old 01-23-03, 04:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
On Pet Stores...

You can't own a pet store and put the animals before the money, period. You need to turn a profit to stay open and the care of the animals has to take a certain cut-back as a result of this (ie. lack of quarantine, having too many animals, etc...) You've all stated this. So, I rest my case...the animals are not coming first. In the case of ANY business money comes first, point finale.

I've never been to the pet store in question, so I can't/won't make any comments regarding that particular situation.
I, personally, don't believe that any pet stores should be allowed to sell animals at all. The vast majority do not take adequate care of their animals, they don't provide care infromation to would-be buyers, and they get their animals from dubious sources (ie. puppy mills...the stores say "breeders" and "local families" which are both factual statements, but these "local family breeders" run puppy mills!)...

And, from what I've read, wasn't slandering anybody...he merely stated his observations...he never bad-mouthed the proprietor of the store, it's not slander.

This thread has become a perfect example of what I mentioned in my last post...people jumping down other people's throats when they state an opinion that the dealer/breeder's supporters don't's completely unecessary for you all to go off like this...State your countering opinion, but don't attack the guy just because he doesn't agree with you!

In Addendum: If it were the case, it wouldn't be slander, it would be libel...Also, I believe that in these situations, there has to be malicious intent behind the libel/slander.

Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.
The act of presenting such material to the public.

Last edited by rattekonigin; 01-23-03 at 04:34 PM..
Login to remove ads