View Single Post
Old 11-30-02, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Darwin's theory was NOT a theory that suggested that those with the most offspring survive. Not even close. His underlying theory (and the theory that unified Biology as the 4th hardcore science) was that nature selected individuals to survive and reproduce that were BEST ADAPTED to a particular environment/habitat/set of life conditions.
I never said that was Darwin's theory, I said that Darwin's theory wasn't entirely accurate. The actual basis of evolution is that the variant that produces the most viable offspring under a given set of conditions is the variant that is selected. Meaning that evolution favours the individual that produces the most offspring. It's been experimentally proven. Fitness is a measure of fecundity.

Some more points:
The fact that people feel that strength and intelligence are traits that should be selected, doesn't imply that they will be selected.
And for people to suggest that evolution of the human species isn't and will not progress any further because of technology or anything else is ignorant. Natural selection always occurs, just because the environment changes (humans have changed their own set of evolutionary conditions) doesn't mean evolution stops, it simply takes a different course.

On a little bit of a tangent:
People are very arrogant creatures, in that we think we control the world, and that somehow we (and the organisms that inhabit this planet with us) are the be-all and end-all of the evolutionary process. People say "extinction is bad" and (on a note a little closer to home) "hybridization of species is bad", well I hate to break it to you folks, but the world isn't so black and white. Think of it this way: extinction is part of evolution, it isn't bad. Species that can't cope with the changing conditions die off, they aren't "adaptable" enough to survive. So what if they are extinctinct or endangered? That's LIFE, that's EVOLUTION! Even if there were some nuclear holocaust and the entire terrestrial surface of the planet were wiped clean of all life (which would be impossible, by the way), that niche would be refilled eventually. No matter what humans do or what happens now, or in a hundred years, or even in a hundred thousand years, it won't matter a smidgen in the long run of things. It will matter in the case of human survival, as our own actions may very well cause OUR extinction. But as for the destructive effect of humans on life itself, there isn't one. Life will still exist on this planet, until it's entirely demolished by an enormous asteroid, or the sun engulfs it.

I've been called a nihilist, but I feel I'm more of a realist.