View Single Post
Old 09-25-04, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
spidergecko

Send a message via MSN to spidergecko
Quote:
Originally posted by meow_mix450
Hey

The other day me and my friends were aruging on how the word is pronounced. We dont know if its Pet-a Or Pe-ta/pita lol. So i was wondering if someone knew excalty how its said

Thanks

Meow
First off, the phrase is, “The other day my friends and I …” Sorry, just had to say that

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherRose
I'm saying its' Peta (pita).

It's an acronym, and you're actually SAYING the letter 'e' right?

right.
This is the reason it is pronounced “pee-tah”. The organisation uses the acronym PeTA.

But a good example of why it is pee-tah and not pet-tah is that a single consonant following a vowel gives the vowel a long sound (eg: bat is not pronounced “bate”, cat is not “kate”). When a vowel is followed by double consonants or a second vowel, the vowel takes a short sound (eg: betta is “bet-tah” not “bee-tah”, litter is not “lite-ter”. See above for the second vowel examples). So for PeTA to be “pet-tah is would have to be spelled Petta.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChunkyMunky
Yes, PETA is said like "Pita" and it means People Eating Tasty Animals i beleive .
Usually I ignore this stale joke but please consider that some people take the killing of animals for food as a serious moral issue. Every time someone cracks that PeTA joke, they are down playing someone’s beliefs. It would be different if the joke was “people terrorizing animal-lab-technicians” or something. No one slaps anti-abortionists in the face with dead baby jokes so consider the same thing with animal rightists – even if you don’t agree.