Thread: Feeding
View Single Post
Old 07-29-04, 03:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Just out of curiousity, for those who prefer burial to using their pets for food, do you believe in an afterlife?

Personally, I do not believe in an afterlife, or even the concept of a soul. I'm not even entirely certain I believe in consciousness as anything greater than a bunch of cells working together in some biological process.

That being said, a deceased pet to me is nothing but lifeless organic matter. I don't see how feeding the animal whole would be any different than having various microorganisms break it down in the decomposition process. Cremation would be slightly different, but that's simply subjecting your pet to a chemical rather than biological process, and despite being able to keep the remains around the house for rememberance, I don't see that as expressing any more respect for your pet's memory than just simply feeding it off.

However, this opinion is based on my feelings toward an afterlife, soul, and consciousness. If I believed in any notion of a deceased pet's happiness from beyond the grave, perhaps I would feel differently. I'm just curious if this is the primary reason other people base their opinions towards using cats, dogs, or reptiles as food.
1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.9 Normal Ball Pythons, 0.1 African House Snake, 1.0 Savannah Monitor, 0.0.1 Argentinian Horned Frog