View Single Post
Old 10-20-02, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
*abnormal psych class is returning to haunt me...*

Actually, some people are predisposed to develope phobias <b>in general</b>, but not to develop specific phobias. That is, if you're going to get a phobia, you're as likely to develop a fear of flying, or dogs, or peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth, as you are to get one for snakes and spiders. Young kids generally <b>won't</b> show a fear of, say, snakes, unless they've seen someone else being afraid, or been told how 'dangerous' or 'disgusting' they are (or had their own bad experience already).
There was a study done with young monkeys of some kind (forget the species), where they weren't afraid of snakes until they observed adult monkeys being afraid... afterwards they were -terrified-. Coming from an area with snakes of a size that actually could eat them, if anything would be evolutionary predisposed to fear snakes (which is where I think the study you're referring to was coming from) one would think it would be those monkeys. But they have to learn it. Why should we be different (especially being larger and in less danger from hungry snakes)?

If any of this makes no sense, I blame it on the fact that it's 6am and I need sleep.

various cornsnakes, 0.1 black pine snake, 1.0 uromastyx geyri, etc.

"The only thing worse than a human who had no respect for other animals was a human who assumed all other animals thought and felt just like he did." --Julia Ecklar, "ReGenesis"