View Single Post
Old 06-23-04, 12:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Canadian herp scene almost seems to be growing exponentially but this is all extremely new.
I have never bought much from Canadians because back when I was acquiring animals there were never any that had anything I wanted, or if they existed we had know way of knowing.

Prior to shows and the internet, which wasn't that long ago, there was no mechanism to even know other Canadian herpers. There were some local herp clubs but almost no trans-province communications existed.
I remember first hearing about a great herper named Matt Moyle from a buddy that went to a symposium in California and met him there.
He was working with Black heads, Argentines , Olive Pythons, and the entire Liasis Childreni complex to name only a few, and this was in the 80's.
The most remarkable thing is that Moyle lived less than a 10 minute drive from me, and we'd never talked or met. Communications between the small group of Canadian breeders was almost non-existant, until quite recently.
There was also an annoying tendancy of withholding breeding info back then and that is largely why I am free with information these days.
It used to drive me nuts that I had to figure everything out myself. Even herp Magazines like Reptiles, are very recent looking back two decades. We still are in the infancy of herpetoculture.

It's the communications media like this one ,in conjunction with a few long term business survivors like PCPC that has been responsible for the survival and now sudden growth of herpetoculture across Canada.
I suspect trade between Canadians will continue to grow because international trade is tougher now in some cases.
It's always in a state of flux , and sometimes it seems like two steps forward and one step back.
It used to be easy to do import and export with the USA, but that has changed.
For the first time, just last week, I had to give up trying to complete the shipping of a small order to one of the biggest international airports in the USA, Dallas Fortworth(DFW).
I spent hour after hour on the phone calling all the airlines, getting the usual run around , but could not find a carrier to take my live cargo to DFW, and to get it there for a reasonable rate before customs closed .
After 9-11 you now have to be a varified shipper with many of the airlines, like Delta, continental, and USAirways.
On top of that rates are up , there are heat embargos, syncronization problems with connecting flights , and the unwillingness for airlines to hold animals overnight.
My bigggest shock was that Air Canada, is no longer taking ANY cargo to DFW.., not just animals but No Cargo period!! They have several flights to Dallas every day, but take no cargo...
Those that haven't recently exported or imported via air, have no idea how complicated it can now be to do business with the USA. It all depends on where you live and the airports and airlines you have available. Delta now has a live cargo rate to the USA of $269., plus there is a $35 terminal fee out of Pearson for all airlines that don't have their own cargo hanger. So to ship one box, would have been 269 plus 35 plus GST &PST for a total of $350.60 cdn., and all that only if you're a verified shipper, which can take months and isn't even possible unless you're doing a fairly high volume of business.
On top of everything else the new USF&W import export license is complicating both selling to and buying from Americans, because they need these now for international transactions, and very few have them, or are willing to get them. Some Delta and US airways subcarriers in the US have stopped handling snakes all together and this recently caused me some importing problems out of Texas.
CITES as well is always a huge trade barrier.
The airline industry meltdown after 911 has had a very significant and negative effect in doing herp trade across the border and even within the USA.
The verified shipper rule, also applies to many airlines within the US and is slowing down trade between American herpers, which are increasingly using ground carriers covertly.
Uncle Roy
Herpetology - more than a hobby
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding