View Single Post
Old 06-21-04, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Funny, I'm opposite to most on this subject.

I got into herps because of snakes, always have loved them and was just dying to get one (or more!) of my own. Surely enough, when I was able to, I got into snakes and had up to 10 at one point. Their ease of care was one of the things that attracted me to them, tarantulas too for that matter.

I later got a few leopard geckos and loved them to bits, the big difference I noted was in the personality and interactivity department.

Last year, I ended up with what I NEVER would have though of in a hundred years, an iguana! She was a rescue in need of a good home and I instantly fell in love with her, even though she can be quite the nasty b*tch!!

Since then, I have developped far more affection for her compared to the rest of my herps and inverts. It's her personality, character, moodiness, etc. It's very hard to explain, but I definitely have much more of a personal connection with her than any other snake or gecko in my collection.

She is quite the handful to take care of!!! That was one of the major reasons why I was never attracted to igs in the first place. Since I've introduced her into my home, I've cut down my herp collection by 5 snakes and 3 geckos to free up more time to care for her. Caring for an ig take more time than caring for many many snakes and/or geckos! I easily spend 1 1/2 hours a day doting over my Paco girl!

I still love my snakes and all the animals in my household. But I've developped quite a fondness for my iguana, something I never thought would ever happen. I've even considered rescuing another, but will only undertake that task once I am fully ready for all that comes with it.

Keeper of 5 snakes, leopard geckos, 1 green iguana, 20+ tarantulas, 2 dogs & a bunch of rats!