View Single Post
Old 06-21-04, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
I have been a snakekeeper for the better part of 25 years. A few years ago I had to give them up when I was going through a separation and when I decided to get back into herps again about a 18 months ago I thought I would start out with lizards so I bought some (3) crested geckos. Now I realize that there is a lot of variation in the activity levels and character of different species but I knew that I still needed to keep snakes. I now have 17 snakes in my collection and can say that some of them are every bit as entertaining and "pet-like" as my lizards. Then again, I keep mostly colubrids and now find most boids, although beautiful, somewhat boring in their lethargic habits. I just got a young Russian Rastsnake that actually comes over to me when I open the lid of it's container and I can't get it off my hand without some effort. I certainly can't say that about my Cresteds...
1.0 red tailed green ratsnakes, 2.3.16 North Mexican Pine snakes, 1.1 Bairds Rat snakes, 1.1 Amazon Tree Boas, 0.1 Trinket Rat snake, 1.1 Taiwan Beauty snake, 1.0 Western Hognose, 0,1 Wandering Garter Snake, 1.0 Russian ratsnake, 1.1 Crested Geckos