View Single Post
Old 06-20-04, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well, here in FL. there are certainly a lot of exotics to deal with. Unfortunately in the past, sometimes the thinking (I hate to use reasoning here) by the feds was to release yet another exotic to control the problem exotic! You could imagine the results. With the herps it has been a little different. The native green anole has been displaced in many areas yet still is dominant in the more pristine areas. These areas are dwindling however. Some predators, notably the native southern black racer, have made due and thrive feeding on the once exotic brown anoles. Many birds also feed on them. I would much rather see the green anoles thriving again, but that's me. As for introduced snakes, there'll be more no doubt found to be actively breeding here too. The discovery of young pythons in the 'glades is troubling, since that might indicate an active breeding pair (or more) I'm sure gators and large wading birds will take their toll on the neos, but once an adult, there's not much to compete with a large python here. With so many native species in peril, the loss of even one from an introduced species is unthinkable.
That said, there's also the problem of introduced species from other parts of the US as well. ( noteably Cal. kings)
This all no doubt plays into the hands of those for a TOTAL BAN on all exotics. PERIOD.
Can't be a good thing for those of us interested in the hobby.
If we don't regulate ourselves, someone will certainly do it for us!

For a dramatic look at what an introduced species can do, just take a look at what the brown snake has done on Guam.
Surrender Dorothy!