View Single Post
Old 06-16-04, 01:51 PM   #75 (permalink)

Sure, I agree with you there. A tiger definitely can inflict more damage. But we also see thousand of serious dog bite injuries, or horse injuries or whatever each year.

I think rather than banning, if the government *has* to get involved, I'd rather fall under a licensing system.

I'd prefer not to have the government poking themselves into every single aspect of my life, but if they have to, I'd rather it be in a way that I first show I'm responsible, and deserve the privilege, than have them dismiss exotic owners out of hand, call us all bad, and ban our pets.

As for leashed animals, I'd much rather see an aggressive breed kept in a properly enclosed yard than on a fixed-point leash. A dog in an enclosed yard may advance or retreat, and go through their normal routine when dealing with a perceived threat. A dog leashed to a tree, especially on a short leash, will become much more defense because of their exposure.
I can't remember who said it, but a few years ago, I recall seeing a conversation with a dog handler / animal control person who said that they'd rather deal with a loose animal over a chained one any day, because the loose one will probably run, but if you step into the leash area, you're now in the last area of safety that animal has, and it makes them that much more dangerous.

I've got a problem with pit bull owners. Not the dogs themselves. The court case we're involved in is a result of a poor owner that didn't supervise his dog, gave it beer, let it run loose in a yard with an open gate, and would get it worked up hanging from tires and then just leave without giving the dog a cooling down period. That's definitely not a shining example.

But even some "good" PB owners, don't exercise the diligence they should. ANY dog is capable of biting, and any cat is capable of scratching. The damage such breeds can do should be taken into account. If a breed has a stronger fight reflex, than flight reflex, they should never leave the animal alone with the others, and be extra alert when supervising.

A lot of us have gotten nipped, but when the nip comes from an animal with 1800 lbs per square inch of bite, the results can be serious, even if the intent isn't there.

I dealt with our landlord's dog issue sternly enough. When my fiance ruptured a disk in her back going over the fence to get away from the dog, who was running loose in the area we needed to go through to get to our apartment, I told them that if I found him running loose in that area again I would take my shovel and kill him, since Animal Control wouldn't come.

The dog wasn't in any real danger from me, because he's generally a good dog, just very flighty with an aggressive response. But you want to bet they stopped letting him run loose unattended immediately after that.

The son moved elsewhere and took him with him. I hope no one is seriously injured because of their poor animal care.
Login to remove ads