View Single Post
Old 06-16-04, 12:14 PM   #66 (permalink)
Hi Pixie,

I was moving into our new house and didn't have a chance to get online and respond.

Have you ever worked on a farm? Or regularly worked in an environment with guard dogs?

I've seen people who were seriously injured by both. Horses that attempt to kill anyone who comes within reach of their hooves and teeth. Dogs who can only be approached by one person. Cows that are nervous and if even the slightest noise scares them, kick you, and trample you into the dirt.

You should NEVER let a child near any animal without direct supervision, even something as small and "harmless" as a cat.

If the tiger has been socialized he's no more dangerous to the average person than an aggressive breed of dog, yet people often leave their kids alone with the family pet all the time. Hell, people buy Dalmations for their kids because of the Disney movies, and they're one of the worst breeds to leave with small children.

I grew up working with large animals. Even docile, domesticated species are deadly in the right situations. Often unintentionally.

Just because a species is a predator does not make "attacks" predatory. They will do things to people that would not harm their own kind, yet do devastating damage to our flesh. A cuff to warn someone off, or a bite across the "scruff" to discipline.

So I reiterate. Putting the child within reach of a tiger, dog, or horse without proper safeguards in place is equally irresponsible.

Originally posted by Pixie

You've got to be kidding, right?!!!!

Are you saying that letting a child near a Siberian TIGER is the same as a large dog or horse?????

I can't even begin to address the huge differences between the two! If you insist on it, I will explain in more detail, but I think that it's pretty darned obvious!

I just can't understand how anyone could compare these together and judge them to be equally dangerous!