View Single Post
Old 05-31-04, 10:05 PM   #116 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
That is what is so interesting about this thread. It's a hobby turned business for many of us younger folk, and the lines are beginning to fade, and it is good to step back and look at the situation every once and a while.

Just this fall, I remembered why I got into it in the first place. I now breed the snakes I like, regardless of saleability. I used to keep the snakes that would sell - and started to base my collection around that. Jeff mentioned he keeps JCP's because he likes them, rather than keeping Diamonds which would make him rich. I guess he'd have to wait 5 years growing up diamonds - and I can't see him doing that either.
Totally man. It has to be about what interests you and is fun. That's why I do it anyways.

I don't mind waiting though. If Diamonds interested me, I would have got them at the same time Don did. 5 years is nothing. I've waited 6 to breed some female Ball Pythons, and I waited 6 years to breed my first ever pair of Rainbow Boas. I'm waiting until the 4th year on all my Bci, and I waited on the 3rd year for 2 of my female albino Hondurans when they could have EASILY gone at 18 months. Patience is one thing I will always have, and I truly think it is a feather in the cap of any breeder. Impatient breeders usually fade away. I can name 10 off the top of my head that came to this site alone with brand new websites, spent thousands, and were all set, only to sell everything off within 2 years. Impatient. I cannot name a single animal that I bought (other than all thou$and$ in frogs that were impossible to breed) that I didn't eventually breed. Everything comes to those who wait. I don't make nearly the amount of $$-cake-$$ that some other breeders in Canada make, but I do know that everything passes through my facility produces. Proof is in the pudding.

The only thing I don't have paitience for is the damn Ball Pythons! LOL! Such a wicked (in the truest sense of the word) species to work with, ha ha!